[OLD TIME RADIO] There's Laughter in the Air! -phi

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

There's Laughter in the Air! Radio's Top Comedians and Their Best Shows by Jack Gaver and Dave Stanley (?? - ??) .
There's Laughter in the Air takes readers on a sidesplitting romp through the world of old-time radio comedy. It gives a brief history of the medium and brief but intimate accounts of some of the biggest acts from the 30s and 40s. Gaver and Stanley give insight on several luminaries from the days of vintage radio: Jack Benny, Fred Allen, Fibber McGee and Molly, Burns and Allen, Amos 'n Andy, and more! (Summary by ChuckW)
This project is now complete and in our catalog at https://librivox.org/theres-laughter-in-the-air-radios-top-comedians-and-their-best-shows-by-jack-gaver/ :thumbs:
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you'd like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.
    Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/001438511
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ======================================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and readers (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
    • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 22
    • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: yes
    • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available):
    • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    • Date of first publication: 1945

=======================================================

Genres for the project:
    biography, history, non-fiction

Keywords that describe the book:
    old time radio, classic comedy, media history
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of There's Laughter in the Air! Radio's Top Comedians and Their Best Shows. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " There's Laughter in the Air! Radio's Top Comedians and Their Best Shows , by Jack Gaver and Dave Stanley . [Chapter]"

End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of There's Laughter in the Air! Radio's Top Comedians and Their Best Shows , by Jack Gaver and Dave Stanley . "

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    thereslaughterintheair_##_gaver.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. thereslaughterintheair_01_gaver.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Jack Gaver and Dave Stanley
    Album: There's Laughter in the Air! Radio's Top Comedians and Their Best Shows

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: phi - philchenevert
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by ChuckW on August 25th, 2013, 4:38 pm, edited 6 times in total.
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Yes, I did get PG Clearance for this book and can provide visual evidence, if necessary. It is in the public domain.

Thanks!

EDITED by Phil;

Here's the message from Project Gutenberg I told you I'd forward you:

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 8:38 PM, Copyright Team <copyright2013@pglaf.org> wrote:

Project Gutenberg copyright clearance submission
automated status update notification.

Title: There's Laughter in the Air!
Author1: Jack Gaver
Clearance OK key=20130602181756gaver
PROJECTS
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

I believe you Chuck. :roll:
I will set this marvelous project up later today. Actually I am of an age to remember the wonderful anticipation of my family in gathering around the radio (no TV yet) to listen to many of these programs and many more. Should be fun. :thumbs:

EDIT: after looking at the document with it's rather strong copyright statement, I'm afraid that I would like to see your visual evidence Chuck. (why are you not surprised at this, eh?)
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

philchenevert wrote:I believe you Chuck. :roll:
I will set this marvelous project up later today. Actually I am of an age to remember the wonderful anticipation of my family in gathering around the radio (no TV yet) to listen to many of these programs and many more. Should be fun. :thumbs:

EDIT: after looking at the document with it's rather strong copyright statement, I'm afraid that I would like to see your visual evidence Chuck. (why are you not surprised at this, eh?)
Heh heh. That's what I figured. You guys are always so thorough. :)

Anyway, I just sent the visual confirmation via PM. Let me know if you have any questions.

I'm really excited to work on this project. It definitely satisfies my inner old time radio junkie. :)

Thanks Phil!
PROJECTS
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

ChuckW wrote:

Anyway, I just sent the visual confirmation via PM. Let me know if you have any questions.
I'm really excited to work on this project. It definitely satisfies my inner old time radio junkie. :)
Thanks Phil!
I received the items you sent but am still unaware of where they come from. Nothing shows the organization doing the clearing as to copyright and what right they have to do it. I am afraid someone with more LV experience will need to check this out before I can go any further Mike. And it is not that we are so thorough, just scared.
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

philchenevert wrote:
ChuckW wrote:

Thanks Phil!
I received the items you sent but am still unaware of where they come from. Nothing shows the organization doing the clearing as to copyright and what right they have to do it. I am afraid someone with more LV experience will need to check this out before I can go any further Mike. And it is not that we are so thorough, just scared.
It's all from PG. For whatever reason, I guess I accidentally cut out their name from the screencaps. Send me your email address and I'll forward you a copy of their confirmation email.
PROJECTS
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Oh, my! Just happen to spot this. But, what say? No Fibber McGee and Molly? Yes, I do remember gathering around the radio to hear some of these, although I preferred to listen to the Lone Ranger.

Anyway, if this flies and you don't have a DPL lined up, I'd love to do it. I might look at something to read, but comedy is not my forte. Why is it that Bob Hope could get more laughs reading a telephone book than I could reading his best material? Oh, well. I can play a mean villain . . . .

Cheers,
Larry - jumpin' the gun . . .
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

silverquill wrote:Oh, my! Just happen to spot this. But, what say? No Fibber McGee and Molly? Yes, I do remember gathering around the radio to hear some of these, although I preferred to listen to the Lone Ranger.

Anyway, if this flies and you don't have a DPL lined up, I'd love to do it. I might look at something to read, but comedy is not my forte. Why is it that Bob Hope could get more laughs reading a telephone book than I could reading his best material? Oh, well. I can play a mean villain . . . .

Cheers,
Larry - jumpin' the gun . . .
Fibber McGee and Molly is there, as is its spin-off show, The Great Gildersleeve. I'm actually still searching for other public domain books on old time radio, but have only been able to confirm this and A Pictorial History of Radio (which does get into some of the drama series, if that's more your thing). I also suspect Fred Allen's two autobiographies are in the public domain, but I haven't confirmed this via PG. I'd love to record Treadmill to Oblivion, but about 50% of it is just transcriptions from his show... and that wouldn't exactly make for a compelling listen.

Anyway, I'd love to have you are a DPL and possible reader. I'd be happy to have you onboard (if this can be pulled off).

Also glad to have two people on this project who listened to the shows when they were being produced. Some of us, alas, don't have that firsthand experience (and just listen to them now on their iPhones).
PROJECTS
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Just saw the MW! Thanks Phil! Everything's filled out and ready to go. :)
PROJECTS
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

ChuckW wrote:Just saw the MW! Thanks Phil! Everything's filled out and ready to go. :)
I am putting silverqill in as DPL. If you need a password Larry let me know. Will move this to Readers Wanted. :thumbs: in a day or so.
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

philchenevert wrote:
ChuckW wrote:Just saw the MW! Thanks Phil! Everything's filled out and ready to go. :)
I am putting silverqill in as DPL. If you need a password Larry let me know. Will move this to Readers Wanted. :thumbs: in a day or so.
Thanks a million! Looking forward to getting this puppy started. :)
PROJECTS
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Oh, and for the record--we are not reading the excerpted script transcriptions included at the end of each chapter. As fun as that sounds, there's probably no real way to make that work.
PROJECTS
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

I would like to claim sections 4 and 9. Bergen and Amos and Andy.
Pity about not reading the scripts; that would be very interesting. VERY interesting! A real challenge :D
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

ChuckW wrote:Oh, and for the record--we are not reading the excerpted script transcriptions included at the end of each chapter. As fun as that sounds, there's probably no real way to make that work.
Yes, pity.

Well that could work, with emphasis on WORK!
We have this situation in the Edgar Allan Poe volume where one of his pieces has a play within it. In this case, our "one man cast" is going to record it. But, the MC/BC said this type of thing has been done before by doing each section as a multi cast dramatic work. That's a lot of work for everyone - setting up all the parts, and the editing. If you want to go that route, I'd sure be glad to help.

In any case, I'd love to do Section 05 Fibber McGee and Molly. And, unless you want to do it, I'd take on Section 00. Lot's of names in there, but nothing too hard.

~Larry
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Oh, I'm not opposed to doing the excerpted scripts... but doing so would pose a host of weird challenges. Besides, I'm not sure if anyone would want to act out scenes from Amos 'n' Andy, all things considered.

FYI, the overabundance of script excerpts is a common peculiarity of these old books about old time radio.

Anyway, thanks for volunteering. I've added you both to the MW.
PROJECTS