[SOLO] Handbook of Nature-Study Pt.2 ans

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

Handbook of Nature-Study, Part 2 by Anna Botsford Comstock (1854 - 1930) .
The Handbook of Nature-Study was written by Anna Botsford Comstock during an era of growing societal concern for man's treatment of the natural world. Out of this concern grew the nature study movement which sought to teach science to school children (and others) through direct observation of nature by the students themselves as opposed to the common practice of the day of learning about nature by studying nature books. This book is written as a guide for teachers leading their classes in nature study and includes a wealth of information about plants, animals, the earth, and the sky along with suggestions for guiding students in their observations. Today, both students and teachers will find the clear, uncomplicated but detailed descriptions of the natural world fascinating and educationally inspiring.

This recording includes Part II: Animal Study including Chapter II: Fish Study, Chapter III: Batrachian Study, Chapter IV: Reptile Study, and Chapter V: Mammal Study. (Summary by Jill Engle)
  • Target completion date: 2013-Dec-31
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://archive.org/details/cu31924090281373
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Section [number] of Handbook of Nature-Study. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " Handbook of Nature-Study, by Anna Botsford Comstock . Part II, Animal Life, Chapter [number], [Chapter title], [Section topic]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Section [number]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Handbook of Nature-Study by Anna Botsford Comstock . "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename
    handbookofnaturestudy_###_comstock_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ### is your section number. (e.g. handbookofnaturestudy_004_comstock.mp3)
  • Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: annise
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Last edited by jillebean on January 2nd, 2022, 10:16 pm, edited 10 times in total.
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

Rapunzelina will be DPL.

Sarah, what changes should I make to the first post considering this is the continuation of the book? Thanks!

Jill :)
smijen

Post by smijen »

Hi Jill,
There are a couple of things to consider:
1. title for the catalog
Could be a number of things
  • Handbook of Nature-Study, Part 1, Part 2i; Handbook of Nature-Study, Part 2ii-v; Handbook of Nature-Study, Part 2vi-vii, Part 3 (or however you divide it)
    Handbook of Nature-Study, Part 1, Part 2 (Section 1); Handbook of Nature-Study, Part 2 (Section 2-5); Handbook of Nature-Study, Part 2 (Section 6-7), Part 3
probably many other possibilities, with any permutation of Arabic and Roman numerals!
Main thing is to set the precedent now and I'll stick with it as I catalog future projects.
2. file names and ID3 tags
You could go with handbookofnaturestudy1_01_comstock.mp3 for the first project, and handbookofnaturestudy2_01_comstock.mp3 for this project. This would mean renaming the files for project 1 (no big deal, since it's not cataloged yet).
Or you could name the first file of this project handbookofnaturestudy_42_comstock.mp3 and carry on from there. This would probably be easier for the listener who eventually has all sections of all projects downloaded, but could be confusing for anyone looking at a single project. You would also have to keep track of your file names and ID3 tags for each project a little more carefully.
Android users - try Orthografiend, a free word game from the maker of Checker.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

*sticking my nose in here*
Handbook of Nature-Study, Part 1, Part 2i; Handbook of Nature-Study, Part 2ii-v; Handbook of Nature-Study, Part 2vi-vii, Part 3 (or however you divide it)
Handbook of Nature-Study, Part 1, Part 2 (Section 1); Handbook of Nature-Study, Part 2 (Section 2-5); Handbook of Nature-Study, Part 2 (Section 6-7), Part 3
Or Handbook of Nature-Study, Part 1, Part 2a, Part 2b, etc... ;) In Rise and Fall of the Confederate Government, I'm doing Volume 1a, 1b, and 2.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
hallejk

Post by hallejk »

Oh I love love love this book! Wish I could have DPL'ed! Maybe i'll sign up for a section once its all set up :)
Halle Kill
I'm going to be away from LV for a while. I have had some serious family things come up and LV is to much at the moment.
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

How about this setup? We just make the first part "Part One", this part "Part Two" and then include in the description which numbered sections of the book that it includes? I have seen it done that way on books like This Country of Ours. Then we could do the naming scheme you suggested, Sarah, with changing the first project's files to handbookofnaturestudy1... before you catalog it, and use handbookofnaturestudy2... on this one? Does that make any sense?

Jill
WoollyBee

Post by WoollyBee »

hallejk wrote:Oh I love love love this book! Wish I could have DPL'ed! Maybe i'll sign up for a section once its all set up :)
It's a solo, Halle. 8-)
[SOLO] Handbook of Nature-Study Pt. 2 by A.B. Comstock - sj
hallejk

Post by hallejk »

Wow... I feel dumb. How did I not notice that?
Halle Kill
I'm going to be away from LV for a while. I have had some serious family things come up and LV is to much at the moment.
WoollyBee

Post by WoollyBee »

hallejk wrote:Wow... I feel dumb. How did I not notice that?
It's okay -- I made the same mistake with a different book a few days ago, didn't I, Jill? :wink:
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

No worries Halle and Sarah. Apparently we tend to look at the book title instead of the stuff in the brackets. :lol: I suppose that can be a good thing, like not judging a book by it's cover. Thanks, anyway, for your interest!

Jill
smijen

Post by smijen »

Hi Jill,
Happy to do it that way if you like. I didn't know if you wanted the "parts" in the book to align with the "parts" in the title. E.g., the way you have it divided, book Part II will be included in part 1, part 2, and part 3. Is that confusing?

But I agree it would be simplest to just name the projects 1, 2, 3, and so on. We'll just make sure there's a good catalog description to tell listeners what's included in each project.
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

smijen wrote:Hi Jill,
Happy to do it that way if you like. I didn't know if you wanted the "parts" in the book to align with the "parts" in the title. E.g., the way you have it divided, book Part II will be included in part 1, part 2, and part 3. Is that confusing?

But I agree it would be simplest to just name the projects 1, 2, 3, and so on. We'll just make sure there's a good catalog description to tell listeners what's included in each project.
Do you think it's too confusing? My poor brain is just confused by trying to figure it out, which is probably why I was thinking of just naming them parts one, two, three.... If you think it will be ok with good descriptions in the catalog we'll go with that method. Are you OK with renaming the files from part one to be handbookofnaturestudy1? Or is that something I can do? I will name the remaining three of part one with that new naming scheme when I upload them.

Jill
smijen

Post by smijen »

Okey-doke. I suspect that people who are listening to the audiobook are not going to be looking too carefully at the text and how it's divided, so we'll go with the simple, 1, 2, 3, for projects 1, 2, 3, and so on. I'll rename the files for project 1 and we can tweak the catalog descriptions as needed.
smijen

Post by smijen »

Jill - I'm sorry - I changed your catalog description by accident. Can you please check that I've restored it the way you want it? :oops:
smijen

Post by smijen »

and at last - here is a magic window. :)
Moving us to Going Solo.