COMPLETE Redburn: His First Voyage by Herman Melville - ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Eduard Rochester

Post by Eduard Rochester »

Redburn: His First Voyage by Herman Melville (1819 - 1891) .

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on the catalog page for this project: http://librivox.org/redburn-his-first-voyage-by-herman-melville/
Melville wrote of some of his earliest experiences at sea in the story of Wellingborough Redburn, a wet-behind-the-ears youngster whose head was filled with dreams of foreign travel and adventure. In Redburn, the protagonist enlists for a stint as a seaman aboard Highlander, a merchant ship running between New York and London. As with many of Melville's works, this one is as much about class and race as it is about the sea. (Summary by James K. White)
  • Target completion date: July 31, 2013 
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/8118 
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard
    IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    Keywords that describe the book:
    sea; sailing; seaman;
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:  
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Section [number] of Redburn: His First Voyage . - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: 
      "Recording by James K. White"  
    • Say: 
      " Redburn: His First Voyage , by Herman Melville . Chapters [number - number], [title of chapter]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say: 
      "End of Section [number]" 
    • If you wish, say: 
      "Recording by James K. White, [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition): 
      "End of Redburn: His First Voyage, by Herman Melville. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename 
    redburn_01_melville.mp3
  • Example ID3 V2 tags 
    Title: ## - Chapters I - V 
    Artist: Herman Melville 
    Album: Redburn: His First Voyage
    Transfer of files (completed recordings) 
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. 
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.

• Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: 
      http://upload.librivox.org 
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin) 
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: ck - Carolin
    • The Dedicated Proof Listener for this project is: lvictoria 
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread. 
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Sir Eduard Rochester
Southern Desert Wind Collective
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

good morning! i can mc this for you. ill go get us a magic window..
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

done! let me know if you need anything else.

where did you get that summary from? if you found it on the internet we will most likely not be able to use it as it will not be in the public domain.
Carolin
lvictoria

Post by lvictoria »

Just checking in. I'm very much looking forward to listening!!
Laura
Eduard Rochester

Hi Carolin,

Thanks for MCing this project. The summary is mine--all mine. And Laura, thank you as well. I'll be uploading soon.

Jim
Sir Eduard Rochester
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

great, thanks for clarifying :)
Carolin
Eduard Rochester

Sir Eduard Rochester
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

moving us over to going solo :)
Carolin
lvictoria

Post by lvictoria »

Holy Guacamole, Batman!! You're nearly halfway to the finish line straight out of the gate. :lol:

Downloading now... :D
Laura
lvictoria

Post by lvictoria »

1 is PL OK!!
Laura
lvictoria

Post by lvictoria »

A note for section 2 should you wish to make a change:

@59:12 "But to my terror, I found that the suicide had been occupying the very bunk which I had appropriated to myself, and there was no other place for me to sleep in."-- heard approached for appropriated
Laura
Eduard Rochester

Section 2, 1:03:39, http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ck/redburn_02_melville.mp3
Correction made.

Section 6, 50:13, http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ck/redburn_06_melville.mp3

Ever since I started this project I've been having some technical problems with my recording equipment which stop short of driving me to insanity. One day everything records fine, but less than 24 hours later there's a loud hissing in the background. Sometimes it just makes me want to throw something heavy across the room. :evil: I believe I located the culprit, but because I had to remove certain pieces of equipment from the recording chain, you may notice some variations in the sound quality. See what you think. I'll listen to Section 6 again on my room speakers later tonight. (I don't think I could stand to listen to another minute of it right now.)
Sir Eduard Rochester
lvictoria

Post by lvictoria »

Hopefully you've found the evil gremlin that's been lurking about and nearly driving you to the brink of madness. (Fingers crossed) I'm assuming you only mean chapter 6 may have the variations in sound quality you wish me to listen for. The sound is excellent in the first three chapters.

2 & 3 are PL OK!!
Laura
lvictoria

Post by lvictoria »

Hi Jim,

A Section 4 note for you to check out:

@45:31 "And, doubtless, Jonah himself must have been disappointed when he looked up to the domed midriff surmounting the whale's belly, and surveyed the ribbed pillars around him."-- heard "doomed" for "domed"
Laura
lvictoria

Post by lvictoria »

5 is PL OK!!
Laura