[COMPL]A Brief Account of the Destruction of the Indies-iq

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Arnieh

Post by Arnieh »

A Brief Account of the Destruction of the Indies by Bartolomé de las Casas (1484 - 1566) . Translator Unknown.

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/a-brief-account-of-the-destruction-of-the-indies-by-bartolome-de-las-casas/
A Short Account of the Destruction of the Indies (Spanish: Brevísima relación de la destrucción de las Indias) is an account written by the Spanish Dominican friar Bartolomé de las Casas in 1542 (published in 1552) about the mistreatment of the indigenous peoples of the Americas in colonial times and sent to then Prince Philip II of Spain. One of the stated purposes for writing the account is his fear of Spain coming under divine punishment and his concern for the souls of the Native Peoples. The account is one of the first attempts by a Spanish writer of the colonial era to depict examples of unfair treatment that indigenous people endured in the early stages of the Spanish conquest of the Greater Antilles, particularly the island of Hispaniola. Las Casas's point of view can be described as being heavily against some of the Spanish methods of colonization, which, as he describes, have inflicted a great loss on the indigenous occupants of the islands. (Summary by Wikipedia)
This project has a dedicated proof-listener who will listen to all sections: 18ck
  • Target completion date: 2013-Aug-31
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/20321
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

============================================

Genres for the project:
    history

Keywords that describe the book:
    genocide; natives; americas; indians; conquest; atrocities; religion
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Section [number] of A Brief Account of the Destruction of the Indies . - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " A Brief Account of the Destruction of the Indies , by Bartolomé de las Casas . Translator Unknown Section [number] Section [title]"
    End of recording
    At the end of the section, say:
    "End of Section [number]"
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of A Brief Account of the Destruction of the Indies , by Bartolomé de las Casas . Translator Unknown "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

[*]Example filename
destructionoftheindies_##_delascasas.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. destructionoftheindies_01_delascasas.mp3)

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Title: ## - [Section title]
Artist: Bartolomé de las Casas
Album: A Brief Account of the Destruction of the Indies

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
    http://upload.librivox.org
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: iq - icequeen
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Last edited by Arnieh on April 7th, 2013, 6:35 pm, edited 25 times in total.
Arnieh

Post by Arnieh »

Could not find a translator for the Gutenberg version.

There appear to be 21 sections or chapters (not including the preface), though 3 or 4 are very short.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

HI Arnie, I'll MC for you! Be back in a few with your MW. I will also PM to you your user number and password to get into the MW.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

OK, Arnie, your MW is up. As soon as I can get your username and password to you, you can fill in your section names. One suggestion that I have is to shorten you file name a little bit, though you don't have to. I would shorten it to destructionoftheindies_##_delascasas , but that is just me. You are certainly not obligated to do so. We will wait a few days, maybe we can catch us a DPL!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Arnieh

Post by Arnieh »

icequeen wrote:OK, Arnie, your MW is up. As soon as I can get your username and password to you, you can fill in your section names. One suggestion that I have is to shorten you file name a little bit, though you don't have to. I would shorten it to destructionoftheindies_##_delascasas , but that is just me. You are certainly not obligated to do so. We will wait a few days, maybe we can catch us a DPL!
Thanks. I'm excited to do my first solo. I take it I need to do the word count and post it in the MW or do Solos not need it?
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Since it is your solo project, you don't need to post the word counts, unless you really want to. That is mostly for group projects, so that prospective readers can get an idea about how long their reading will be. As far as the title of your sections, yes, you need to do that yourself. Just make sure that you use a section number for each one, i.e. 00 - Preface, 01 - Then Your Title, and so forth. Have tried to log into the MW yet?
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Arnieh

Post by Arnieh »

No I haven't loggin into the MW yet. I take it, that you click on the BC Admin thing.

I think we are getting off easy as far the title for this book goes as the full title is:

A Brief Account of the Destruction of the Indies Or, a faithful NARRATIVE OF THE Horrid and Unexampled Massacres, Butcheries, and all manner of Cruelties, that Hell and Malice could invent, committed by the Popish Spanish Party on the inhabitants of West-India, TOGETHER With the Devastations of several Kingdoms in America by Fire and Sword, for the space of Forty and Two Years, from the time of its first Discovery by them.

Hehe. I coulda used the title as the summary. :D
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Yes, click on the BC Admin thingy, you will get another window that pops up, and a log in window. Let me know if you have any problems.

Wow, what a title! That would make a good summary!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Arnieh

Post by Arnieh »

Ok, I have added the chapter titles and have in one case (section 13) combined 2 chapters into one section. Since the chapters were not originally numbered can I say Section # instead of chapter #?

Also for the combined chapters in one file (section 13), do I read a separate disclaimer for both?

Thanks,
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

I would definitely say Section, instead of Chapter. The one thing that you need to do for your sections is to add the section number, i.e. 00 - , 01 -, so that they will feed in the right order when they are downloaded. For the combined chapters, the disclaimer at the beginning is fine. You don't need to read it at the chapter break.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Moving on to Going Solo!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Arnieh

Post by Arnieh »

icequeen wrote:I would definitely say Section, instead of Chapter. The one thing that you need to do for your sections is to add the section number, i.e. 00 - , 01 -, so that they will feed in the right order when they are downloaded. For the combined chapters, the disclaimer at the beginning is fine. You don't need to read it at the chapter break.
Thanks, I will edit the MW and opening post.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Looks good, Arnie!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Arnieh

Post by Arnieh »

Here is the preface (section 00).

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/iq/destructionoftheindies_00_delascasas.mp3

Duration (05:24)

Thanks.
Last edited by Arnieh on March 25th, 2013, 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Arnieh

Post by Arnieh »