[Complete]The Daughter of the Commandant-iq

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
kwdavids

Post by kwdavids »

The Daughter of the Commandant by Alexander Pushkin (1799 - 1837) . Translated by Mrs. Milne Home ( - )

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/the-daughter-of-the-commandant-by-alexander-pushkin/
"The Daughter of the Commandant" (better known as "The Captain's Daughter") is a historical novel by the Russian writer Alexander Pushkin, and is considered to be his finest prose work. The novel is a romanticized account of Pugachev's Rebellion in 1773-1774.

The 17-year-old Pyotr Andreyich is sent by his father to military service in a remote Russian outpost, where he leans honor and love while being caught up in a violent uprising of tribal groups against the imperial government. (Summary by Wikipedia (alt.) and Kevin Davidson)
  • Target completion date: 2013-May-30
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/13511
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

============================================

Genres for the project:
    historical-fiction, literature, romance

Keywords that describe the book:
    Russian Literature; Pugachev's Rebellion
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of The Daughter of the Commandant . - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " The Daughter of the Commandant , by Alexander Pushkin . Translated by Mrs. Milne Home [Chapter]"
    For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Daughter of the Commandant by Alexander Pushkin . Translated by Mrs. Milne Home This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Daughter of the Commandant , by Alexander Pushkin . Translated by Mrs. Milne Home "
    There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename
    daughterofthecommandant_##_pushkin.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. daughterofthecommandant_01_pushkin.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Alexander Pushkin
    Album: The Daughter of the Commandant

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: iq - icequeen
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Last edited by kwdavids on February 8th, 2013, 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kevin
At the last moment, I decided not to read this section in my "talk like a pirate" voice.
lvictoria

Post by lvictoria »

May I DPL, Kevin?
Laura
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

I'll MC! Back in a few with the MW.

OK, MW is in and I have lvictoria in as DPL, if that is OK. Let me know if you need anything else! :D
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
kwdavids

Post by kwdavids »

icequeen wrote:I'll MC! Back in a few with the MW.

OK, MW is in and I have lvictoria in as DPL, if that is OK. Let me know if you need anything else! :D
OK? It's Super :thumbs:
Kevin
At the last moment, I decided not to read this section in my "talk like a pirate" voice.
kwdavids

Post by kwdavids »

Section 1, Chapter 1 is uploaded

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/iq/daughterofthecommandant_01_pushkin.mp3
19:32

Chapter 1 Notes:

In the matter of names, I have included the given name and patronymic in some places where the translator had omitted the second (but it was present in the Russian)

I added the word "Russian" after "learned to read and write" again because the original literally said "learned Russian grammar."

I pronounced Banojik as Vanojik. The original Russian is just "V" without any name. :?

I pronounced "__" as "something" as in "17__" and "__ Regiment".

I assumed that "moussié" was a badly pronounced Monsieur, so I pronounced it badly. :roll:

I'm using the reformed Pirate voice for the Savéliitch character, so let me know if slip up and fail to use it for him.
Kevin
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Moving on to Going Solo!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
kwdavids

Post by kwdavids »

Kevin
lvictoria

Post by lvictoria »

kwdavids wrote:In the matter of names, I have included the given name and patronymic in some places where the translator had omitted the second (but it was present in the Russian)
Hi Kevin,

It's Librivox policy to read the text as is without adding anything to it, so even though it's in the original, I don't think it's permissible to veer off this particular translation. The first two notes I made pertain to the names. You may want to wait before making any changes to the notes I've made until Ann sees this so she can correct me if I'm wrong.

@:45 where he married Avdotia [[ ]]
@3:36 The washerwoman,[[ ]] Polashka, a fat girl, pitted with small-pox, and the one-eyed cow-girl, Akoulka,

@13:33 were it only for a "groch" (two kopeks)--highlighted portion omitted

@18:38 Will you hold your tongue?-- was read "Hold your tongue" (There were a couple of other places where the text was slightly different, but this was the most noticeable)

Back with chapter 2 notes a bit later today... :)
Laura
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Hi Kevin,

It's Librivox policy to read the text as is without adding anything to it, so even though it's in the original, I don't think it's permissible to veer off this particular translation. The first two notes I made pertain to the names. You may want to wait before making any changes to the notes I've made until Ann sees this so she can correct me if I'm wrong

I am going to have to second what Laura has said here. We need to stick to the text as it is written, not the way it probably should be. The PG version is the PD version that we have to stick to, if we deviate from that, we could walk into a sticky area. If the full Russian name is not there, then it needs to be read that way.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
kwdavids

Post by kwdavids »

icequeen wrote:
Hi Kevin,

I am going to have to second what Laura has said here. We need to stick to the text as it is written, not the way it probably should be. The PG version is the PD version that we have to stick to, if we deviate from that, we could walk into a sticky area. If the full Russian name is not there, then it needs to be read that way.
OK, no trouble at all to snip out the extra words.
Kevin
kwdavids

Post by kwdavids »

The 4 corrections to Section 01 have been uploaded.
Kevin
lvictoria

Post by lvictoria »

Hi Kevin,

I just wanted to give you an update since I didn't make it back yesterday. I have my grandbabies today so it will be tonight before I have a chance to listen chapter 2.
Laura
kwdavids

Post by kwdavids »

lvictoria wrote:Hi Kevin,

I just wanted to give you an update since I didn't make it back yesterday. I have my grandbabies today so it will be tonight before I have a chance to listen chapter 2.
Grandbabies always come first!
Kevin
lvictoria

Post by lvictoria »

I had a very full and fun day with the grandbabies and now I have finally made it back here.

1 is good to go.

Here are the notes for 2:

There were quite a few places where "sledge" was read "sleigh," and although I know it doesn't change the meaning I noted them thinking it was a translation thing. There were just a couple of other notes should you wish to make any changes.

@:38 "in the forepart of the sledge,"-- was read "sleigh"

@2:09 My kibitka was following the narrow road, or rather the track, left by the sledges of the peasants. -- was read "sleighs"

@3:52 "How unlucky we are, excellency,"-- "excellency" omitted

@4:18 "he replied, getting out of the sledge"-- was read "sleigh"

@5:33 ""It is not a sledge, it is not a tree, and it seems to me that it moves."-- was read "sleigh"

@7:50 "rocked by the whistle of the storm and the lurching of the sledge."-- read "sleigh"

@11:38 "I raised my eyes to the recess above the stove, and I saw a black beard and two sparkling eyes."-- was read "voice"

@13:07 "My guide winked in a meaning manner, and replied by the well-known saying"-- was read "murmur"

@16:08 "I said, coolly, to Savéliitch"-- I don't hear "to"
Laura
kwdavids

Post by kwdavids »

Chapter 3 has been uploaded
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/iq/daughterofthecommandant_03_pushkin.mp3
13:26

Note: The title of this chapter, The Little Fort, is read from the Table of Contents, and not the chapter text. "The Little Poet" is absurd. I'll talk to the Gutenberg folks about the error.
Kevin