War & Peace V1 by Leo Tolstoy (Dole Translation)-arb

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

War and Peace Vol. 1 (1805-1806) by Leo Tolstoy (1828-1910). Translated by Nathan Haskell Dole(1852-1935).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/war-and-peace-vol-1-1805-1906-by-leo-tolstoy/
”War and Peace” is a panoramic novel: It is its own justification, and perhaps needs no introduction. It always reminds the translator of a broad and mighty river flowing onward with all the majesty of Fate. On its surface, float swiftly by logs and stumps, cakes of ice, perhaps drowned cattle or men from regions far above. These floating straws, insignificant in themselves, tell the current. Once embark upon it, and it is impossible to escape the onward force that moves you so relentlessly. What landscapes you pass through, what populous towns, what gruesome defiles, what rapids, what cataracts! The water may be turbid, or it may flow translucent and pure, – but still it rushes on. Such to me is “War and Peace.”

“War and Peace,” like all of Count Tolstoi’s works, is a mighty protest against war. There is no arguing in it about the waste, and the demoralization, and the cruelty, and the unmanliness of it, but, like all Russian argument, it is by vivid pictures such as no one can resist.

The present translation has been made from the original Russian. Tolstoi has been felicitously called “the Russian Rembrandt.” It is not fair to reproduce Rembrandt as a Teniers. One may be sometimes tempted to substitute the curved line of beauty for the straight line of duty, or soften a harsh silhouette, but beyond certain unavoidable issues of the sort necessary for reproducing the impression given by the original, the translator ought to be as faithful as possible. Here the old law of an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth, repudiated by Count Tolstoi, ought to have a new application. (from the Preface by N.H. Dole)
  • Target completion date: December 31, 2013
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://archive.org/details/warandpeace01dolegoog
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): Standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects (and hence the number of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
    Soloist - please provide *all of* the following:
    • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): ): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_tolstoy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan_Haskell_Dole
    • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_and_Peace
    • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 66
    • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: n (at least, I’m not reading it.)
    • Original publication date (if known): 1889
    • Year of author's death (note: in some countries copyright is author's death + 50 or 70 years): 1910
    • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro) [I’ll read the full intro at the beginning of each Part.]
    • "Volume 1, Part [number], Chapter [number] of War and Peace. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by MaryAnn Spiegel"
    • Say:
      "War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy, translated by Nathan Haskell Dole. Volume [number], Part [number], Chapter [number]."

For the second and all subsequent sections within a given part, I’ll use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Part [number], Chapter [number] of War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy, translated by Nathan Haskell Dole. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain.

End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book and at the end of each part, say (in addition):
      "[End of Volume 1] or [End of Part [number]] of War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy, translated by Nathan Haskell Dole."

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename
    warandpeacevol1_##_tolstoy.mp3
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: ## - Part [number], Chapter [number]
    Artist: Leo Tolstoy (Dole)
    Album: War and Peace
    Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: yy - yyyyy
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check out How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Last edited by MaryAnnSpiegel on October 21st, 2012, 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Volume 1 of Dole's translation covers the first 3 parts of the book. I plan to use Auphonic for post-production on all the files. I've experimented a bit with it and like what it does . . . but it does leave the volume levels a bit high when measured by MP3Gain. As long as it stays consistent across files, I hope that won't be a problem.

MaryAnn
catrose

Post by catrose »

Do you need a DPL, MaryAnn?
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

I do Cat. But just to warn you, this is probably going to be a rather slow process. There will be a bump of files at the start as I have recorded a few already, then the long march will begin . . .

MaryAnn
catrose

Post by catrose »

Sounds fine for me! :). I've started to miss PLing you, and W&P is one of those books that people should read, but always gets moved down toward the bottom of the to read pile (mainly because it's kinda long!)
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'll set it up for you - not planning to do it all in the one project I see :D .

Anne
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thanks Anne! :9:
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Done - do you have a text link ?

Anne
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

annise wrote:Done - do you have a text link ?

Anne
I've downloaded the pdf from Google Books (and can I say - I hate Google Books. Once you add something to your library, it is very difficult to manage). Here's the Archive link.

http://archive.org/details/warandpeace01dolegoog

MaryAnn
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

You mean I should be grateful that Google won't let me look at most of their books :D . I used to write them rude emails but it never seemed to make any difference.

Anne
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Cat -
And we're off! Image

Please feel free to wait and listen to the sections in order so you get the gist of the story. You'll see me jump around a bit in recording - that's because I'm pulling the French pronunciations from the internet and if I have time to read but don't have the French for the next section, I'll jump to something that I do have. (Btw, my goal on the French is to be not awful.)

MaryAnn
catrose

Post by catrose »

What happened to this going slow? That's almost a third done! :lol: I'll get to PLing later tonight! :D
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

. . . :oops: . . . I've actually been working on these sections for over two months . . . but didn't want to officially "start" the project until I had done enough to be sure that I had the appetite to finish at least the first volume. I know, I know, - I was running a risk because what if there was a PD issue and the work couldn't be used? But I was pretty sure from Anna Karenina that Dole's translations of Tolstoy would be OK and I really wasn't sure how all the French would work out . . . so I wanted to be sure before I took up an MC's time and our valuable server space . . .
catrose

Post by catrose »

Chapters 1-5 PL OK! (I should mention now that I often forget to post after filling in the MW...)
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Cat - just post of there is a problem. I know you will get to them eventually . . .

MaryAnn