[COMPLETE;NONFICT]Conduct of Life by Ralph Waldo Emerson -lz

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
perfectidius

Post by perfectidius »

Conduct Of Life by Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803 - 1882) .

Abandoned solo changed into a duet

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-conduct-of-life-by-ralph-waldo-emerson/
This is the best of Emerson's later works, qualifying his earlier popular essays, series one and two, with the heavier hand of experience. The Conduct of Life ostensibly is a set of essays about how to live life, but also is an amalgam of what life taught Emerson. (Summary by Daniel Christopher June)
  • Target completion date: August 7
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://emersoncentral.com/conduct.htm
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    Genres for the project:
    essay-short-nonfiction, philosophy

Keywords that describe the book:
    Emerson; Ralph; Waldo; Conduct; Life; Moral; Guide; Lectures; America
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Essay [number] of Conduct Of Life . - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " Conduct Of Life , by Ralph Waldo Emerson . [Essay Title]"
    For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Essay [number] of Conduct Of Life by Ralph Waldo Emerson . This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Essay title]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Essay]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Conduct Of Life , by Ralph Waldo Emerson . "
    There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename
    conductoflife_##_emerson_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. conductoflife_01_emerson_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Ralph Waldo Emerson
    Album: Conduct Of Life

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lezer
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
perfectidius

Post by perfectidius »

I have done the first two essays already, and was hoping somebody was interested in picking up some of the rest. I am uncertain how to get an MC.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Running a collab. project is quite a commitment. You need amongst other things to be prepared to stay around until it is finished, be able to help newbies, and at the end have all the files checked and ready to be catalogued so we usually prefer people to have a bit more experience to be fair to the others how volunteer to read for your project.

I notice that the site you use has the following
� 1996-2001
Jone Johnson
Lewis.
All rights
reserved.

Contact us
for reprint
permission.

Have you seen anything else on it that states that the text is identical with a pre 1923 edition ? We would prefer a scanned text or PG because then we are sure no one has amended the text and thus claimed copyright - it may sound picky but it happens and whover does MC this is responsible for all our files being public domain. People can not claim copyright on something that is PD , unless they change the text so the sign may only refer to the formatting but we need to know.

As for an MC you don't get one , you just post here and someone who is able will pick it up

Anne
perfectidius

Post by perfectidius »

http://books.mirror.org/emerson/conductlife.txt

this text is verbatim.

I do not know much about taking on a project. I have recorded two essay of nine. If nobody is interested, I will record the remaining seven, but it will be over the course of years. If it is not something librivox wants to pick up, I understand.

daniel
perfectidius

Post by perfectidius »

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

When you say you have recorded 2 already - does that include the ones you have read for the non-fiction collection ?
It's not that LibriVox doesn't want them , I raised the text issue because we are forced to take anything that gets into the catalogue and people have a copyright for out of the catalogue :( and that is a waste of everyone's time.

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Sorry - I had a phone call in the middle of answering and hadn't noticed this - but yes that is definitely PD :thumbs: - if the text is the same the easier to read version would be OK

Anne
perfectidius

Post by perfectidius »

no, I mean I recorded two new 45 minute length lectures for this project, which I have not yet shared with librivox. The text I used is in fact the library of America edition, which claims copyright only for the selection, the notes, and the chronology. i have recorded "fate" and "power" from the conduct of life, but I find it for some reason exhausting to do so, and therefore won't record the remaining seven for a long time.

I am not aware if there is any variations between texts of Emerson's essays, but the front matter of this book at least claim no copyright on it.

As I said, I don't mind doing the entire project by myself, but I need to space out my recordings. I would like to set it up so that the essays I did are available online and i can add more later as I record them.

I of course do this for the love of Emerson, who is my favorite person.
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Good morning--

I would be willing to record some Emerson after I have completed a few of my current recording committments. But whether a group project or a solo, it will be a nice addition to the catalog. :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Hmmm... you are wanting this as a group project, but your template in the first post is the solo template.

I think you need to choose either to make this a group project, or make it a solo (which you could either do slowly, or if you find it's too much for you, turn into a group project later). If you go the solo route and then convert it to a group project later, you'd need to change the first post to the group template when you convert it to a group project.

Am I making sense?

You can solo it, and as long as you check in every month (or submit a section - but either way, you'd need to post in the project thread) you can take your time with it. But if you make it a group project, you'd run the risk of all other sections going to other readers, and you'd miss out.

A third option is to submit the two recordings you've done already to the short nonfiction collection. That way they would be in the catalog, and you wouldn't have the responsibility of finishing the book or BC'ing a group project.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
perfectidius

Post by perfectidius »

thank you. I guess I will go solo, but I find the operation of librivox overwhelming. I don't really know what to do to set up a solo project or how to get what I record online.
ekzemplaro

Post by ekzemplaro »

Hello Perfectidius San,
As I often come here, I had a chance to read your postings.
but I find the operation of librivox overwhelming. I don't really know what to do to set up a solo project or how to get what I record online.
Please do 'One minute test', then you learn how to upload your file.
Next join in a small group project as a reader, then you learn how a project goes.
My recommendation is 'Weekly Poetry', I myself learn lots of things from this project.

Cheers,
Masa
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

If no one else MC's this before next Monday, I'll MC it. I can't set it up right now, so I'll leave it open to another MC if they're wanting to pick it up. :)
thank you. I guess I will go solo, but I find the operation of librivox overwhelming. I don't really know what to do to set up a solo project or how to get what I record online.
You've recorded and posted other sections for us - you'd upload it the same way. To use the Magic Window, here is a link to instructions: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window

Your MC will send you your login name and password to get into the Magic Window once they set up the project.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
lezer

Post by lezer »

Hi Daniel,
I'm just back from my holidays, so free to pick up some new projects - I can be your MC for this. I'll set up the project and will be back then with some information for you.
Anna
Anna
lezer

Post by lezer »

OK - your project is ready to go!

Now, I saw that you had already recorded & submitted a section for a short non-fiction collection, so the parts about recording, editing, saving & uploading the file to Librivox are all already familiar to you.

In a solo there are just a few extra things to do (the things that the book coordinator does in a group project, after you've posted your file in the forum):
- you update the Magic Window with the information - see the link that Tricia already posted: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window - and also the private message that I will send you with your login information
- you still post a note in this thread as well, to let your proof-listener know that there's a new file that needs proof-listening
- you keep track of the PL notes, and correct your files, etc
- in the end you let me, your MC, know that the project is all done.

As you can see, you do most of the work yourself in a solo - my work as a meta-coordinator is mainly setting up the project in the database and doing the cataloging of the project once you're done. Of course I do hang around to answer your questions and help you out if you have problems.

And we'll need a proof-listener as well - that's what the ~ sign at the start of the title means. Let's leave the project in the Launch Pad for a few days longer, to see whether anyone volunteers. (If not, we'll put an advertisement in the Listeners Wanted forum).

So - go ahead and have fun recording etc. Let me know if you have any questions.

Oh, if you at some point feel that the project is too much for you, please don't hesitate to let me know and we'll figure something out (for example opening it up as a group project).

Anna
Anna