[COMPLETE]The Lesson of the Master, by Henry James - arb

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
clifford

Post by clifford »

The Lesson of the Master by Henry James (1843 - 1916) .

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/the-lesson-of-the-master-by-henry-james/
A promising young writer meets an older man whose works have inspired him, as well as a highly intelligent and attractive young woman, at a gathering in a country house. Anxious to learn all he can from the older writer, the young man seeks his views about not only about art, but also the way in which a serious artist should live. By the end of the work, he has indeed learned his lessons, albeit not quite those that he was expecting. It's not giving anything away to say that this work bears some resemblance to James's later novel, The Ambassadors, which in many ways engages the same questions. (Summary by Nicholas Clifford)
  • Target completion date: 2013-May-01
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/files/898/898-h/898-h.htm
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard
    IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
    • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_James
    • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lesson_of_the_Master
    • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 6
    • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: n
    • Original publication date (if known): 1888
    • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
      Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
    ============================================
    Genres for the project:
    fiction
    Keywords that describe the book:
    literature; education; fame
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of The Lesson of the Master . - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [Nicholas Clifford]"
    • Say:
      " The Lesson of the Master , by Henry James . [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Lesson of the Master by Henry James . This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [Nicholas Clifford], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Lesson of the Master , by Henry James . "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
[*]Example filename
lessonofthemaster_##_james.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. lessonofthemaster_1_james.mp3)
[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Title: ## - [Section title]
Artist: Henry James
Album: The Lesson of the Master
Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
    http://upload.librivox.org
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: arb - annise
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Last edited by clifford on April 19th, 2013, 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clifford

Post by clifford »

Anne -- Chap. I is now up in the MW. Am I waiting for a PL? Or are you taking on the job again? If so, thanks and double thanks.

Best, Nick
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I've put myself in as DPL and Chapter 1 is PL OK :thumbs:

Anne
clifford

Post by clifford »

Anne --

that's very good of you; many thanks once again. Chapter II is now up.

Best, Nick
clifford

Post by clifford »

And, I forgot to add, Happy Easter. I suppose for you it's the beginning of of autumn setting in; here, we're still waiting for a bit of spring warmth.

Best, Nick
clifford

Post by clifford »

Chapter III is now up.

Nick
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

II and II Pl Ok
We don't have as beautiful autumns as colder climes - and of course our natives do not lose their leaves but there are still enough garden exotics to makes things colourful and the coler weather is nice after some very warm weeks

Anne
clifford

Post by clifford »

Chapters iv and v are now up. I'm also going to edit and expand my description of the book soon.

Best, Nick
clifford

Post by clifford »

Anne --

Chapter VI of the Lesson of the Master is now up, and I've also written a new description of the work. Sol assuming that you find no mistakes (or don't like my description), the project is done.

Best, Nick
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

4 is PL OK - I've been real lifing (?lifeing) each day this week , but should be able to catch up with the PLing this weekend

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

5 and 6 are PL OK . Great reading, I can't help being somewhat cynical about the "Master's" motives though :D .

Off to cataloguing -

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

All done , thanks Nick
Have you choosen something to read next yet ? If you want me to MC it just put -arb in the heading when you post :D

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/the-lesson-of-the-master-by-henry-james/
clifford

Post by clifford »

Anne --

Many many thanks once again for all your work on this. I agree with you that the Master may be a little bit cynical, or at least self-interested in handing out advice to Paul Overt. The novelist Cynthia Ozick has written a couple of piece on this, seeing it as one of James's most important short pieces, and seeing it as a kind of a parable of the choice facing the dedicated great artist: do you free yourself from all encumbrances, human as well as other, to concentrate on your Art? Or do you live a more full human life, which might mean a spouse, who will not only look after you and your affairs, but perhaps also arrange your life for you and order you around, as Mrs. St. George does? If you cut yourself off from all encumbrances, you may well become a great artist. But you also might not, and then what? What have you missed in not having lived a full life, husband, wife, children? No doubt there are some who think the piece may be a bit autobiographical -- there was never a Mrs. Henry James, after all, though contemporary critics of course are much more apt to use this fact to speculate on James's possible homosexuality. Myself, I think that James was one of those men who simply wasn't all that interested in sex in his own life, though of course he found it endlessly fascinating as a source for his fiction.

I've thought about a new project, and been hunting around. I wish there were some first rate Trollope left, but there isn't. What would you think of some ghost stories? There's a collection called Tales of Men and Ghosts by Edith Wharton, who wrote some pretty good stories of that sort (I have no idea whether she really believed in ghosts or not), and no one has done it yet. Ten separate stories. I might give it a try

Best, Nick
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

The Wharton sounds interesting.
I suppose the married or not theory depends on what the wife accepts from the marriage - I have often felt that there are more great male assorted people because they had some one to run around after them cooking and cleaning and washing and mending and providing a sympathic ear. I think genius requires a deal of single mindedness which is a bit akin to selfishness maybe.

Anne
clifford

Post by clifford »

Anne --

I've posted the template form for Tales of Men and Ghosts, and listed you as MC -- and once again many thanks.

Nick