[COMPLETE] Strangers at Lisconnel by Jane Barlow-arb

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
JCarson

Post by JCarson »

Strangers at Lisconnel by Jane Barlow (1857 - 1917) .

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/strangers-at-lisconnel-by-jane-barlow/
Strangers at Lisconnel is a sequel to Jane Barlow’s Irish Idylls. The locations and most of the characters are common to both. There is great humor and concomitantly a certain melancholy in most of these stories of the most rural of rural places in Ireland. Although of a higher social class than her characters, Our Jane seems to have a touch of softness in her heart for their utter simplicity, abject poverty and naiveté. From the following brief example of dialogue, can be seen that Ms Barlow could only have come to write these words after having heard them countless times in person: Mrs. Kilfoyle: "I declare, now, you'd whiles think things knew what you was manin' in your mind, and riz themselves up agin it a' purpose to prevint you, they happen that conthráry." Although Jane Barlow did not consider her poetry worthwhile, the rythmn and music of her prose is magical to the ear. (Summary by JCarson)
  • Target completion date: 2013-May-19
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/18957
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    Genres for the project:
    literature, short-stories

Keywords that describe the book:
    Stories of Irish peasantry in the 19th Century.
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Section [number] of Strangers at Lisconnel . - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " Strangers at Lisconnel , by Jane Barlow . [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section [number] of Strangers at Lisconnel by Jane Barlow . This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Section]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Strangers at Lisconnel , by Jane Barlow . "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename
    strangersatlisconnel_##_barlow.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. strangersatlisconnel_01_barlow.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Jane Barlow
    Album: Strangers at Lisconnel

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: arb - annise
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Last edited by JCarson on March 18th, 2013, 5:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'll set this up for you - back soon

Anne
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

I'd enjoy being the dpl on this book if one is needed.
DaveC
JCarson

Post by JCarson »

Aren't I particularly the lucky one. Thank you both for coming along. There will be no "Strangers at Librivox" on this one.

Best,

JCarson
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

craigdav1 wrote:I'd enjoy being the dpl on this book if one is needed.
DaveC
All added- and I have put sample titles in the MW for you to follow

Anne
JCarson

Post by JCarson »

Anne,

As in the prequel, I do not end the readings at the end of chapters, so the names will need to be Section 1 Section 2 and so forth.

JCarson
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It's your say - but I'm curious why ? It does confuse some of the listeners - I've answered 2 emails recently about missing chapters because "the book has say 21 chapters and there are only 12 files"
Like everything we do we will never please all of the people all of the time though :D

Anne
JCarson

Post by JCarson »

Dave,

Section 1 is posted up yonder and we are off like a herd of turtles!!

I am picking the Yankees for last place in the American League, with the White Sox and Pirates in the World Series. You can etch it in stone!!

Anne:

I am a voracious listener of audio books. None none of the professionally recorded books I have listened to stop at chapters; they just keep reading for an hour or so, with no commercial interrutions during the entire book; not a single one. From the listener's perspective, the fewer the interruptions the better. Stopping every 10 minutes to announce the name of the book, author, producer etc would be maddening to me as a listener. And I am mad enough. Imagine loading 50 sections at 10 minutes apiece; poor Dave would have to give up his day job.

JCarson
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

The Gutenberg link has only 15 chapters not 50 - that is what you are reading from I hope ? I just need to check, we have had some people read from non PD editions and we have had to remove them from the catalogue which was very sad, but I wouldn't have thought it was possible here. But as my Grandma said - better to be safe than sorry.

Anne
JCarson

Post by JCarson »

I am reading from the Gutenberg epub file, the link shown on my original posting.

The 50 chapters was a bit of hyperbole for this book but used to make a point. I have seen that and more here at Librivox with each about 10 minutes apiece. A listener does not need to be told the title, author, producer and even the reader's name over and over again, like advertising. Books today are listened to on MP3 devices, where there is an uninterrupted stream from the beginniing to the very end with no need for separate disks. This allows for a smooth even listening experience from beginning to end with no commerical interruptions, just an announcement at the beginning and one at the very end of the work. I have only listened to a single Librivox recording and the interruptions proved too great for a pleasureable listening experience. The dividing up of an audio file into any kind of fragmentation does not make sense with today's listening devices. Personally I think we should do away with all announcements in Librivox work except one at the beginning and one at the end of the work, just as professional recordings are done today. IMHO

JCarson
Last edited by JCarson on March 19th, 2013, 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

01 PL OK.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I thought the 50 was an example - but decided it was better to ask a dumb question than to ignore a possible disaster. I wasn't around at the beginning but I understood the disclaimer was a legal cover that had to be on every file. But I am not lawyer - and even less a USA lawyer. And what you are doing is fine be me.

Anne
JCarson

Post by JCarson »

Thanks Dave and Anne; Section 2 is posted.

JCarson
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

02 PL OK.
JCarson

Post by JCarson »

Thanks Dave. Section 3 is up.

JCarson