[COMPLETE]Battle-Pieces and Aspects of the War - H. Melville

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ClarkUniversity

Post by ClarkUniversity »

Battle-Pieces and Aspects of the War by Herman Melville (1819 - 1891) .

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/selections-from-battle-pieces-and-aspects-of-the-war-by-herman-melville/

Published in 1866, Battle-Pieces and Aspects of the War is a collection of poems about the Civil War by Herman Melville. Many of the poems are inspired by second- and third-hand accounts from print news sources (especially the Rebellion Record) and from family and friends. A handful of trips Melville took before, during, and after the war provide additional angles of vision into the battles, the personalities, and the moods of war. In an opening note, Melville describes his project not so much as a systematic chronicle (though many of the individual poems refer to specific events) but as a kind of memory piece of national experience. The “aspects” to which he refers in the title are as diverse as “the moods of involuntary meditation—moods variable, and at times widely at variance.” Much of the verse is stylistically conventional (more so than modern readers perhaps expect from the author of Moby-Dick), but the shifting subjectivities and unresolved traumas that unfold in the collection merit repeated contemplation. Melville’s Battle-Pieces do not offer a neatly versified narrative of the Civil War but rather kaleidescopic glimpses of shifting emotions and ambivalent reflections of post-war America.(Professor Meredith Neuman)
  • Target completion date: 2012-Dec-01
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/files/12384/12384-h/12384-h.htm
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
    ============================================

Genres for the project:
    history, poetry, war-stories

Keywords that describe the book:
    Herman Melville; Poem; poems; Epic; North America; United States; Southerners; Slavery; Civil War; Soldiers; Battles
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Set your recording software to:
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz (44100 Hz)
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
  • DURING recording:
    • At the beginning of the recording, read the abbreviated "LibriVox disclaimer":
    "[Poem title], by [author], read for LibriVox.org by [your name]"
    • Then read the poem.
    • At the end, say: "End of poem. This recording is in the public domain." and leave five seconds of silence.
    • No recordings can be accepted without the LibriVox disclaimer.
  • AFTER recording:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of Battle-Pieces and Aspects of the War , by Herman Melville . "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

[*]Example filename
battlepieces_##_melville_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. battlepieces_01_melville_128kb.mp3)

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Title: ## - [Poem title]
Artist: Herman Melville
Album: Battle-Pieces and Aspects of the War

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: http://librivox.org/login/uploader
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: arb - Annise
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
[/list]
Gregory G. Geiger
Academic Technology | Clark University | 950 Main Street, Worcester, MA 01610

Project URL - https://wordpress.clarku.edu/meneuman/librivox/
catrose

Post by catrose »

Hi Gregory

I think there is a possible issue, so let me just make sure: is this the one where the entire class is reading?

Cat :D
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
ClarkUniversity

Hi Cat,

Yes, this will have a varied set of readers for an English 184 - American Poetry class. I and a colleague are doing the recording sessions and the post production work to make the recordings top notch (as our other test postings). All of the students are over the age of 18, and are also aware that this work will be in the public domain.

This is the class descriptior:
SPECIAL TOPIC FOR FALL ‘12— ORALITY AND POETRY: This course will focus on poetry as an oral form, from the ancient rhapsode tradition, to recitation in nineteenth-century America, to contemporary poetry readings. We primarily will use performance, recitation, memorization, and oral presentation to explore the fundamentals of formal analysis (meter and other aural effects) and to move through the literary history of American poetry. For undergraduate English majors and minors, this course satisfies the Genre (B-1) requirement.

I may have over explained there. Sorry. What might be the possible issue?

Cheers!
//g
:)
Gregory G. Geiger

catrose

Post by catrose »

The issue is that we don't really do group accounts. In order for this to work, each reader needs their own account so that they can be credited in the catalog.

I can DPL (proof-listen) this, if you want and help with the MW (which is the only slightly complicated bit, especially because we might be dealing with a lot of readers needing a catalog page set up) :D

Dear Admins out there, can anyone help out? I think advice is needed on how to go about with this.

Cat :D
Last edited by catrose on October 31st, 2012, 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

The admins are discussing the logistics and philosophies of having multiple readers on one forum account. Someone will get back to you in a bit. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It's OK Cat - some one will be here - we do have a few group recordings - they all differ slightly so we need to think. :D

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'll MC this - will set up the project and then post some questions :D

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I need to know who wrote the summary - it's put into the PD too so either has to be from a PD source , or you wrote it.

I have sent you a password for the MW so you can add the files and times - but I can help you with that when you have a file :D
I have changed a bit in the first post - we use slightly different wording for poetry and I made the file name a bit simpler.
Only registered readers can be found in a catalogue search - - so you will be able to search for ClarkUniversity but not individual names . Their names will be in the recording and depending on the number of readers you have we could list them in the summary if you wished . However if you have 72 readers it may not fit - the software has size limits.

Any questions ask

Anne
ClarkUniversity

Our first one has been posted! :clap:

03 - The Conflict of Convictions
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/arb/battlepieces_03_melville.mp3
4:40

In the super large post here, there is some text that says "Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:" Can we have that point to http://wordpress.clarku.edu/meneuman/librivox/

And there is a new Summary coming. The one they originally sent was from a book or perhaps a website, no one on their team can remember now. That being the case, the professor is writing her own summary and I will post it here once I get it from her.

Thank you so much for all your help!
//Gregory
Gregory G. Geiger

ClarkUniversity

And now our second. 8-)

14 - The Utilitarian View of the Monitor's Fight
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/arb/battlepieces_14_melville.mp3
2:04

Thanks!
//gregory
Gregory G. Geiger

ClarkUniversity

And a third.

05 - The March into Virginia
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/arb/battlepieces_05_melville.mp3
1:59

Cheers!
//gregory

:9:
Gregory G. Geiger

ClarkUniversity

Gregory G. Geiger

catrose

Post by catrose »

Hey Gregory, you should add the recording time in the MW. I'll add these ones as I PL :D

Section 3 PL OK!
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

catrose

Post by catrose »

Section 5 is PL OK!

Section 14 is a bit too loud (it is 92dB when we aim for 89dB) but it isn't too loud, so I'll mark it as PL OK! (Just thought you should know :) )

Section 12 PL OK! :D
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

THe MW looks really good - the only thing I have added is the section number to the title , that will make sure mp3 players play the files in order, we can't have history changed :D
We have a proof listener , I noticed there is a very slight DC offset , I don't thing it is enough to affect any editing but it might be worth removing it for other recordings.

Anne