The Story Teller by Maud Lindsay - phi

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

The Story Teller by Maud Lindsay (1874 - 1941) .

This project is complete and in the catalog at http://librivox.org/the-story-teller-by-maud-lindsay/

Are you a story teller? Almost all of us are, you know. Well, these 12 stories were written by Maud Lindsay to be told by someone who can weave the magic thread of speech into a performance that will hold the children spellbound. And we don't need to be perfect, just willing to tell a story; that is really all children ask, someone willing to tell a story. 8 of Librivox's Story tellers have volunteered to tell these enchanting tales (and sometimes sing the sweet little melodies that are included.) "It was a glad day in the olden time when the Story Teller came to cottage or hall. At Christmas, or New Year; when the May pole stood on the village green; or the chestnuts were roasting in the coals on All hallows eve; come when he would, he was always welcome; and if, when he was least expected, he knocked at the door, what joy there was!Perhaps the story brought with it laughter, or perhaps a tear, but Life, said the Story Teller, is made up of smiles and tears; and the little ones, listening to him, learned to rejoice with those whose joy was great, and to mourn with the sorrowful; and were the better and not the worse for it. And so in due time grew into noble men and good women.Open the door and let him come in, give him a seat by the fire and gather close about him. And then you shall hear!" (Summary by Phil Chenevert and the author's foreword)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you'd like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.
    Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/23735
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ======================================================
    Thanks to our Dedicated Proof Listener: Britannia
    =======================================================

Genres for the project:
    children

Keywords that describe the book:
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of The Story Teller. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " The Story Teller , by Maude Lindsay . [Chapter]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Story Teller , by Maude Lindsay . "
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    storyteller_##_lindsay.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. storyteller_01_lindsay.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Maude Lindsay
    Album: The Story Teller

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: phi - philchenevert
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
Britannia

Post by Britannia »

May I offer my humble help in this project as a DPLer ? :)

Britannia
Sarah
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Britannia wrote:May I offer my humble help in this project as a DPLer ? :)

Britannia
That would be wonderful. Your humble services are accepted with glee. Image
Loveday

Post by Loveday »

For my first ever LibriVox contribution - please may I read section 05 - Little Maid Hildegarde?
I may well have a go at singing the lullaby - if it's ok for me to transpose it down a notch for my vocal comfort zone.
(I have had the OK on my one-minute test.)
It's the end of term, so I am back! Thank you for being patient with me, and please PM if I don't seem to have caught an update that I should have seen.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Loveday wrote:For my first ever LibriVox contribution - please may I read section 05 - Little Maid Hildegarde?
I may well have a go at singing the lullaby - if it's ok for me to transpose it down a notch for my vocal comfort zone.
(I have had the OK on my one-minute test.)
:clap: Wonderful and happy to have you here with us Loveday. You may read (and sing) section 5. Transpose it as much as you wish; I know it will be lovely.

PS. How would you like to be credited in our catalog? You can use your real name or any other you wish.
Loveday

Post by Loveday »

philchenevert wrote: :clap: Wonderful and happy to have you here with us Loveday. You may read (and sing) section 5. Transpose it as much as you wish; I know it will be lovely.

PS. How would you like to be credited in our catalog? You can use your real name or any other you wish.
Yayyy! And thank you very much for your kind welcome :D
Could I please go in the catalog under my forum name as well?
It's the end of term, so I am back! Thank you for being patient with me, and please PM if I don't seem to have caught an update that I should have seen.
mindy

Post by mindy »

I'd like to claim "The Jar of Rosemary." It's a sweet story and my daughter's name is Rosemary.
~~-------*------------~***~-----------*-------------~~
- Mindy
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

mindy wrote:I'd like to claim "The Jar of Rosemary." It's a sweet story and my daughter's name is Rosemary.
Welcome to this wonderful book Mindy. The Jar of Rosemary is all yours to enjoy. :thumbs:
Britannia

Post by Britannia »

Thanks for accepting my humble services Phil !

Looking forward to listen to people's recordings... :)
Sarah
mindy

Post by mindy »

I've uploaded my recording: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/phi/storyteller_02_lindsay.mp3

It's 10:52 long. Cheers! and Happy Halloween. :wink:
~~-------*------------~***~-----------*-------------~~
- Mindy
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

mindy wrote:I've uploaded my recording: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/phi/storyteller_02_lindsay.mp3

It's 10:52 long. Cheers! and Happy Halloween. :wink:
Thank you Mindy. Wow, that didn't take long. Princess, our LivbriVox Cowgirl will rope this and put it into the MW for proofing Image
Britannia

Post by Britannia »

Hi,

And a happy halloween to you too !

As to your recording, there's a strange buzzing sound from the beginning to 4:05, and then, suddenly, it sorts of becomes somewhat cleaner at 4:05 to the end. I found it a bit unsettling.
Would you try a bit of noise removal ?
Apart from that, nice reading.

Regards,
Britannia
Sarah
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Britannia wrote:Hi,

And a happy halloween to you too !

As to your recording, there's a strange buzzing sound from the beginning to 4:05, and then, suddenly, it sorts of becomes somewhat cleaner at 4:05 to the end. I found it a bit unsettling.
Would you try a bit of noise removal ?
Apart from that, nice reading.
Regards,
Britannia
Mindy. I haven't listened to the recording so I don' know about the buzzing but do you know how to do that noise reducing stuff? I would be willing to make a short video just for you, showing how I would get rid of the buzzing in this particular track. (assuming I can). If you would like that let me know. Image
mindy

Post by mindy »

Sorry about that. I didn't listen to it in headphones, before I uploaded it.
philchenevert wrote:
Mindy. I haven't listened to the recording so I don' know about the buzzing but do you know how to do that noise reducing stuff? I would be willing to make a short video just for you, showing how I would get rid of the buzzing in this particular track. (assuming I can). If you would like that let me know. Image
Thanks Phil. I looked up a few garage band tutorials, and did what they suggested -- i.e. I played around with the gate and compressor a little bit, but without much improvement. I remember I repositioned my mic at about that point, so I'll just rerecord the first 4 minutes.

Cheers,

- Mindy
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

mindy wrote:Sorry about that. I didn't listen to it in headphones, before I uploaded it.
philchenevert wrote:
Thanks Phil. I looked up a few garage band tutorials, and did what they suggested -- i.e. I played around with the gate and compressor a little bit, but without much improvement. I remember I repositioned my mic at about that point, so I'll just rerecord the first 4 minutes.
Cheers,
- Mindy
Well let's see how that goes. I know nothing about Garage Band so I 'm glad you said something; all my experience is with Audacity. Does GB have a Noise REduction function?