[COMPLETE] Two Short Catechisms, by John Owen (1616 - 1683) - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Two Short Catechisms, by John Owen (1616 - 1683)

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/two-short-catechisms-by-john-owen/
The first edition of these Catechisms issued from the press in 1645. Dr Owen had at that time the charge of the parish of Fordham in Essex, and laboured diligently for the instruction and benefit of his flock, by catechising from house to house. The catechisms were prepared in order that he might accomplish these parochial duties with greater efficiency and success. “The Lesser Catechism” is designed for the instruction of children; — “The Greater,” for the examination of persons more advanced in years. They are chiefly doctrinal. It was the intention of Owen to have followed up this little work by another Catechism on the Lord’s Prayer, the Ten Commandments, and some articles of the Creed. This intention, however, was never fulfilled. These Catechisms on “the Principles of the Doctrine of Christ” are included in this volume, — which embodies all the treatises of Owen directly relating to the second Person of the Trinity, — inasmuch as, according to a statement of the author in the preface, they were intended to remind his people of what he had publicly taught them, “especially concerning the person and offices of Christ.” They were among the first, as the other treatises in this volume are among the last, of our author’s publications; and we are thus enabled to mark the undeviating consistency with which, during all the ministrations of his public course, Owen held fast by the great doctrines of the Gospel, — “the unsearchable riches of Christ.” (Summary by Editor)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/theworksofowen01owenuoft/page/463/mode/1up

Target completion date: 2022-12-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Religion/Christianity - Other

Keywords that describe the book: bible, christian, theology, catechism, puritan

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Two Short Catechisms. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Two Short Catechisms, by John Owen. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Two Short Catechisms, by John Owen. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Two Short Catechisms, by John Owen."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: twoshortcatechisms_##_owen_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. twoshortcatechisms_01_owen_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: craigdav1

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

MW coming up.

edit: Let me know if any changes are needed. Enjoy.
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Section 1
Prefatory Note and Epistle Dedicatory
(06:07)

Section 2
The Lesser Catechism
(06:05)

Section 3
The Greater Catechism Chap. I. — Of the Scripture
(02:53)

Section 4
The Greater Catechism Chap. II. — Of God
(05:55)

Section 5
The Greater Catechism Chap. III. — Of the Holy Trinity
(02:49)
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Section 6
The Greater Catechism Chap. IV. — Of the Works of God; and, First, of those that are Internal and Immanent
(04:08)

Section 7
The Greater Catechism Chap. V. — Of the Works of God that outwardly are of Him.
(03:25)

Section 8
The Greater Catechism Chap. VI. — Of God’s actual Providence
(04:27)

Section 9
The Greater Catechism Chap. VII. — Of the Law of God
(03:00)

Section 10
The Greater Catechism Chap. VIII. — Of the State of Corrupted Nature
(04:23)
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Section 11
The Greater Catechism Chap. IX. — Of the Incarnation of Christ
(01:37)

Section 12
The Greater Catechism Chap. X. — Of the Person of Jesus Christ
(05:50)

Section 13
The Greater Catechism Chap. XI. — Of the Offices of Christ; and, First, of His Kingly
(02:44)

Section 14
The Greater Catechism Chap. XII. — Of Christ’s Priestly Office
(09:04)

Section 15
The Greater Catechism Chap. XIII. — Of Christ’s Prophetical Office
(02:01)

Section 16
The Greater Catechism Chap. XIV. — Of the Two-fold Estate of Christ
(02:01)

Section 17
The Greater Catechism Chap. XV. — Of the Persons to whom the Benefits of Christ’s Offices do belong
(02:10)
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

Since I just wrapped up several items, if you are still looking for a DPL I can do it.

M
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

mleigh wrote: December 8th, 2022, 10:02 am Since I just wrapped up several items, if you are still looking for a DPL I can do it.

M
Yes please! I should have the remaining sections edited in the next 24 hours.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Then it's off to the Going Solo forum.
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Section 18
The Greater Catechism Chap. XVI. — Of the Church
(03:33)

Section 19
The Greater Catechism Chap. XVII. — Of Faith
(02:20)

Section 20
The Greater Catechism Chap. XVIII. — Of our Vocation, or God’s Calling us
(02:37)

Section 21
The Greater Catechism Chap. XIX. — Of Justification
(02:02)

Section 22
The Greater Catechism Chap. XX. — Of Sanctification
(05:47)

Section 23
The Greater Catechism Chap. XXI. — Of the Privileges of Believers
(05:05)

Section 24
The Greater Catechism Chap. XXII. — Of the Sacraments of the New Covenant in particular, — a holy right whereunto is the Fourth Privilege of Believers
(02:05)

Section 25
The Greater Catechism Chap. XXIII. — Of Baptism
(01:56)

Section 26
The Greater Catechism Chap. XXIV. — Of the Lord’s Supper
(03:54)

Section 27
The Greater Catechism Chap. XXV. — Of the Communion of Saints, — the Fifth Privilege of Believers
(01:47)

Section 28
The Greater Catechism Chap. XXVI. — Of Particular Churches
(03:00)

Section 29
The Greater Catechism Chap. XXVII. — Of the Last Privilege of Believers, — being the Door of Entrance into Glory
(01:23)
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

Comments on sections 1-10.

1:
2:52-2:58 and 2:59-3:04 text repeated "and how I have kept back nothing (to the utmost of the dispensation to me committed) that was profitable unto you"

3:
1:35 I hear "relation" in "Rev. xxii. 19, 20.", could you please double check.

4:
5:10 Did you intend to not include footnote 2 here? " These last are no less essential unto God than the former; only we thus distinguish them, because these are chiefly seen in his works." before "end footnotes"

8:
0:54 "end footnotes" missing

I'll get the next batch to you tomorrow.

M
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

mleigh wrote: December 9th, 2022, 7:12 pm 1:
spot check 2:52 text repeated "and how I have kept back nothing (to the utmost of the dispensation to me committed) that was profitable unto you"

3:
spot check 1:35 I hear "relation" in "Rev. xxii. 19, 20.", could you please double check.

4:
spot check 5:10 Did you intend to not include footnote 2 here? " These last are no less essential unto God than the former; only we thus distinguish them, because these are chiefly seen in his works." before "end footnotes"

8:
spot check 0:54 "end footnotes" missing
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

The following sections are PL OK; 1, 3, 4, 5, 8, 11, 12, 15, 16, 18, 19, 20. :)

PL Notes:

2:14 after "end footnotes", it skips to the references for Q5 not Q4: lsa. liii.
12, lix. 20, 21, with Heb. viii. 10-12; Isa. lxi 1, 2; John i. 16, xii.
32; Mark i 15; Matt. xxviii. 20; 2 Cor. x. 4, 5. Matt. xvi. 19;
1 Cor. xii 28; Eph. iv. 8-14; 2 Tim. iii. 16, 17; Rev. xxii.
18, 19.
also after this Q5 needs to be added: "Q. 5. How many are the acts of his kingly power towards his enemies ?
A Two also; first, internal, by the mighty working of his Word, and the spirit of bondage upon their hearts, convincing, amazing,
terrifying their consciences, hardening their spirits for ruin ; secondly, external, in judgments and vengeance, which ofttimes he beginneth in this
life, and will continue unto eternity."
which should be followed by footnote 5: "footnotes The end of Christ in exercising his kingly power over his enemies, is the glory
of his gospel and the good of his people. end footnotes"
references currently at 2:14 then follow the footnote
2:35 should be "verse 14", not "verse "four"

3:44 should be "Isa lix (59)" not "xlix (49)"

0:47 should be "Isa lxiii (63)" not "xliii (43)"

1:47 is missing "cxxx. (130) 3, 4," before "Ps cxliii. (143) 2" should be "Ps. cxxx. 3, 4, cxliii. 2"

Let me know if my comments on 13, or any of them, don't make sense.

Thanks,

M

I plan to finish tomorrow. I've got a bad cold and my brain has gone home for tonight.
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

mleigh wrote: December 10th, 2022, 7:13 pm The following sections are PL OK; 1, 3, 4, 5, 8, 11, 12, 15, 16, 18, 19, 20. :)

PL Notes:

2:14 after "end footnotes", it skips to the references for Q5 not Q4: lsa. liii.
18, 19.
also after this Q5 needs to be added: "Q. 5. How many are the acts of his kingly power towards his enemies ?
A Two also; first, internal, by the mighty working of his Word, and the spirit of bondage upon their hearts, convincing, amazing,
terrifying their consciences, hardening their spirits for ruin ; secondly, external, in judgments and vengeance, which ofttimes he beginneth in this
which should be followed by footnote 5: "footnotes The end of Christ in exercising his kingly power over his enemies, is the glory
2:35 should be "verse 14", not "verse "four"

3:44 should be "Isa lix (59)" not "xlix (49)"

1:47 is missing "cxxx. (130) 3, 4," before "Ps cxliii. (143) 2" should be "Ps. cxxx. 3, 4, cxliii. 2"

Let me know if my comments on 13, or any of them, don't make sense.

Thanks,

M

I plan to finish tomorrow. I've got a bad cold and my brain has gone home for tonight.
Thanks for catching these. The combination of jumping up and down for the footnotes on this one and so many Roman numerals was bound to have some misses, even in short sections.

13 spot checks
From 2:15 after "end footnotes", it skips to the references for Q5 not Q4: lsa. liii.
18, 19.
3:49 should be "verse 14", not "verse "four"

3:53 should be "Isa lix (59)" not "xlix (49)"

mleigh

Post by mleigh »

My internet both on computer and phone has been virtually nonexistent today. I currently unable to pull up the MW to make changes to the pulldown menu to make changes to the PL status. (It took over 6 hours to get the Spot PL files accessible to me.) I will try again later to update the MW but in case I cannot here are my PL comments. All chapters are PL OK. :clap:

Thanks,

M

It was a bit of a challenge to listen to all the Bible references and try to catch those pesky Roman numbers/numerals. :)
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

I was able to update the MW so have made the changes.

Good reading.

M