Complete (SOLO/Adventure] Sunshine and Snow, by Harold Bindloss-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Laur

Post by Laur »

Sunshine and Snow, by Harold Bindloss (1866 - 1945)
A harrowing and dramatic story of four siblings from Scotland who are poor, and orphaned. The eldest brother, Arthur, is guardian to his two brother's and one sister.) After the bank in Scotland fails, Arthur decides as family head, they will go to Canada to answer an ad to claim free farm land. Arthur is a former soldier, smart, honest, and a tremendously hard worker; his younger brothers are still in school, and Charley, (the middle brother has a lot to learn about team work.) Leaving their sister behind temporarily, they board a steamer for Canada, but they have no idea of the hardships and life threatening battles that await in the untamed land. Can these young siblings survive all the adversity, and will they be able to find happiness carving out a new life? All they have is a hope. (Summary by Laurie Banza)
• This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/sunshine-and-snow-by-harold-bindloss/

Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/69277

Target completion date:

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
T

Genres for the project: Children's Fiction/Action & Adventure; Children's Fiction/Family

Keywords that describe the book: brothers, frontier, boat, cattle, pioneer life, cargo, steamer, blizzard, ocean travel, rustlers, emigrants

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Chapter# of Sunshine and Snow. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Sunshine and Snow, by Harold Bindloss. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Chapter# of Sunshine and Snow, by Harold Bindloss. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of chapter#."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Sunshine and Snow, by Harold Bindloss."[Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: sunshineandsnow_##_bindloss_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. sunshineandsnow_01_bindloss_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: alg1001

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by Laur on December 8th, 2022, 10:57 am, edited 7 times in total.
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Laurie,
I'll MC this for you.
The MW is up.
Thanks!
Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
Laur

Post by Laur »

Thank you Amy! I appreciate that very much!

A DPL for this project would also be most welcome. :help:
Laur

Post by Laur »

FYI: Prospective DPL

Initially (mostly based on Title and Illustrations of some young ones I saw in the book), I thought this book was intended for a younger, more juvenile audience. In completing the first two chapters, I believe that might not be the case. Although it does involve family and brothers, it's subject matter is a bit more mature, and thus far there are some harrowing dramatic scenes, that are sure to stir emotions.

Obviously, the saying is correct..."you can't judge a book by it's cover".

Note to Amy (my MC)... please note, that the summary provided will be updated close to or at the book's finish. Possibly, a different general genre may also have to be selected... to be discussed with you later if necessary.
Thanks.
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Thanks, Laur!
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

If you haven't a DPL yet, I can do it.

M
Laur

Post by Laur »

Thank you M! Welcome aboard! :clap: :clap:

Amy, we have found our DPL. Please add her for access to MW.
Thank you.
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Great! She should have access now.
I'll move you to Going Solo.
:)
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

I must confess I have no idea of where this story is going.

PL Notes for Chapter 1.
there is one small stutter/repeat

6:04 There is "then cl" followed by corrected text : "then clawing at the rushes"

Chapter 2 is PL OK.

Good job with the first two chapters.

M
Laur

Post by Laur »

mleigh wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 7:08 pm I must confess I have no idea of where this story is going.

PL Notes for Chapter 1.
there is one small stutter/repeat

6:04 There is "then cl" followed by corrected text : "then clawing at the rushes"

Chapter 2 is PL OK.

Good job with the first two chapters.

M
Thank you - I’ll get that fixed in Chapter 1.
Chapter 2 just had me in tears! 😢 That was a tough for me! My voice kept cracking getting all choked up!
Laur

Post by Laur »

Chapter 1 fixed, ready for Spot PL.
Thank you.
Laur

Post by Laur »

Chapter 3 posted, ready for PL. :D

M - Thus far in the story (in nutshell): The 3 brothers (The Oldest-Arthur, then -Charley, & youngest-Reggie) from Scotland are poor, and orphaned (Arthur is his brother's guardian.) After the bank fails in Scotland, Arthur decides they will go to Canada to answer the ad for free farm land - but they will need to know how to farm (Arthur is former soldier, brothers are still young in school... Boarding a steamer for Canada, they have no idea what really awaits, they just have a hope.
Caryll (pronounced like Carol) introduced in third chapter, is a man farmer/neighbor is assisting them.

Note: The sad story of a pair of different boys in Chapter 2 (Jim & Tom) thus far is an event they saw happen/experienced on the way to Canada. At this point, I don't know whether one or more of the characters on steamer coming over will be later introduced back into story.

I hope this helps you to follow the story better. 🤷‍♀️ :) It was kind of good for me too, to keep fresh in my mind who was who.
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

Chapter 1 is PL OK.

Chapter 3 has some missing text. The middle one just adds some clarification to the sentence but the 1st and 3rd make the sentence make sense.

1:52 "ran to and fro lighting those which" is missing from "while he ran to and fro lighting those which had gone out again,"
5:51 "robbing where they could," is missing from "wandered about the country, robbing where they could, and it was some of these Peter meant when he said the Rustlers."
10:54 "Caryll" is missing from "and at last Caryll whispered it was time to commence"

Never thought about cattle rustlers crossing into Canada from the US before. Learn something new every day. :)

Overall, another nicely read chapter. Much less depressing than the second one.

M
Laur

Post by Laur »

mleigh wrote: December 3rd, 2022, 7:20 pm Chapter 1 is PL OK.

Chapter 3 has some missing text. The middle one just adds some clarification to the sentence but the 1st and 3rd make the sentence make sense.

1:52 "ran to and fro lighting those which" is missing from "while he ran to and fro lighting those which had gone out again,"
5:51 "robbing where they could," is missing from "wandered about the country, robbing where they could, and it was some of these Peter meant when he said the Rustlers."
10:54 "Caryll" is missing from "and at last Caryll whispered it was time to commence"

Never thought about cattle rustlers crossing into Canada from the US before. Learn something new every day. :)

Overall, another nicely read chapter. Much less depressing than the second one.

M
Ohhhh my word...or rather lack of them...skipping around :oops:
Sorry about that... moral of this chapter... do not have your puppy with you while recording, distracting you, biting toes, etc (makes for poor editing).
Chapter 3 fixed, ready for spot PL.
Laur

Post by Laur »

Chapter 4 posted, ready for PL...(no puppy this time...she went nite-nite :wink:)