[SOLO] Christian Astrology by William Lilly - pc

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

Christian Astrology , by William Lilly (1602 - 1681)
The first comprehensive astrology textbook in English; up to this point they had been written in Latin. William Lilly takes the astrology student from beginner to advanced through thorough examples. Today "Christian Astrology" is still popular for both astrology enthusiasts and professionals. Its influence upon astrology, theosophy and the new age movement remains enormous. (Summary by lightcrystal )
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/b30338724

Target completion date: 2024-11-27

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction

Keywords that describe the book: astrology, Occult

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Less than 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Christian Astrology . This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Christian Astrology , by William Lilly . Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Christian Astrology , by William Lilly . This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Christian Astrology , by William Lilly ."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: christianastrology_##_lilly_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. christianastrology_01_lilly_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: philchenevert

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
I use Linux. I also like penguins.
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

Please note that I have done a comprehensive architecture of this task.

Estimated time for the whole book = 44 hours of reading. [based on my road tests of on average 3 minutes a page].

I will read the tables and ephemeris. Yes, I am that committed to this. I have a plan chapter by chapter to keep well within the 70 minutes maximum of a chapter.

My background includes decades of involvement in astrology and the occult. Thus I am comfortable with the symbols. Yes, this is an extremely difficult book to do. But it will have an audience: the text is popular on the archive.

I am open to any DPL. But a DPL who is comfortable with 1600's English typefaces would be preferred. The DPL does NOT have to know anything about astrology.

Thank you

Lightcrystal

NOTE THIS IS A SOLO
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

I will put up the magic window for you.
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

philchenevert wrote: November 30th, 2022, 2:21 pm I will put up the magic window for you.
Thank you Phil. I know that it's a quiet time of year. But I want to start this! I will go to my schemed chapter list.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

lightcrystal wrote: November 30th, 2022, 3:40 pm
philchenevert wrote: November 30th, 2022, 2:21 pm I will put up the magic window for you.
Thank you Phil. I know that it's a quiet time of year. But I want to start this! I will go to my schemed chapter list.
Great. I know you have done a solo before so this should be a challenge but fun for you.
EDIT: 16th century english is certainly spelled differently; do you intend to pronounce anything differently? Just to give the PL a heads up.
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

philchenevert wrote: November 30th, 2022, 4:26 pm
lightcrystal wrote: November 30th, 2022, 3:40 pm
Great. I know you have done a solo before so this should be a challenge but fun for you.
EDIT: 16th century english is certainly spelled differently; do you intend to pronounce anything differently? Just to give the PL a heads up.
Thank you, that is a question that has occurred to me. For instance "show" is written as "shew" throughout this book as it was in the 1600's.

To the DPL: in such cases I will say it as it is said today. For instance shew will be said as show.
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

I've gone to my schemed list of all the chapter titles and parts. I have for now put in the first 10 chapters. I could put in all 192; I made that list last week by going through the book. But in case the BC wants something different I will stop there for now. I've assigned all the sections. But I don't seem to be allowed to add in that I will be the reader for them all as this is a solo.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Your orginazation and planning is admirable for a complex work like this. However, as the soloist you are the BC and can make most decisions about titles for sections for yourself. I, as MC may questions or suggest some things but you have a lot of latitude in a solo; for example whether to include some or all or no footnotes and things like that. So put 'em all in if you want. :D
EDIT: just keep in mind that the people listening to this book will probably want the outline clearly delineated so they can follow the complex references and logic.
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

philchenevert wrote: November 30th, 2022, 9:34 pm Your orginazation and planning is admirable for a complex work like this. However, as the soloist you are the BC and can make most decisions about titles for sections for yourself. I, as MC may questions or suggest some things but you have a lot of latitude in a solo; for example whether to include some or all or no footnotes and things like that. So put 'em all in if you want. :D
EDIT: just keep in mind that the people listening to this book will probably want the outline clearly delineated so they can follow the complex references and logic.
Phil, you are right that is a complex text. In the 1600's the publishing standards were very different. In this book there are many incorrectly numbered pages. Note: I mean pages numbered in the actual book. NOT the pdf number in a pdf. I took notes as I went through of missing page numbers, swapped numbers and so on. In my schemed out list I have taken these publishing errors into account. What Lilly also does that is strange to us is that he ends chapters in the middle of a page. Then he immediately starts the next chapter on that page. That is why I have labelled page numbers inclusively i.e 5-6 then 6-7. He doesn't do this all the time. But he does it often enough.

I also suspect that many readers will want to skip the charts that I will read out. So I plan to make a time stamp retrospectively to go to the end of the chart in such cases.

This is one of the most complex books attempted on LibriVox. In fact technically it is three books. That is a bit arbitrary to me. I am under no obligation to follow that segmentation.

I hope that this makes Christian Astrology more accessible to people by having an audio version.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Just a reminder that may save you some work. If it has over 99 sections you must use 3 digits

the file name christian_astrology_001_lilly

Anne
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

annise wrote: December 1st, 2022, 3:37 am Just a reminder that may save you some work. If it has over 99 sections you must use 3 digits

the file name christian_astrology_001_lilly

Anne
That is a good point. That happens when there's so much to record!

I could fill out more of the MW. But that and getting a DPL is probably best left till the maintenance outage is over.
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

I have worked out how I am going to use the MW. I am going to have to help the DPL with things like 1600's typography. I will leave the MW as I have it for now.

I am ready to seek out a DPL. Do I have to wait till the temporary paragraph is removed?
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

lightcrystal wrote: December 8th, 2022, 9:11 pm I have worked out how I am going to use the MW. I am going to have to help the DPL with things like 1600's typography. I will leave the MW as I have it for now.

I am ready to seek out a DPL. Do I have to wait till the temporary paragraph is removed?
Not at all. In fact, we have been advertising for a DPL for quite a while now; the tilde ~ in front of the title tells everyone that we need one. When someone does post in this thread and offer their services, you will be the one to respond and accept their services. At that point I will add them officially. The temporary paragraph is not important any longer and I will remove it now.
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

philchenevert wrote: December 8th, 2022, 10:17 pm
lightcrystal wrote: December 8th, 2022, 9:11 pm I have worked out how I am going to use the MW. I am going to have to help the DPL with things like 1600's typography. I will leave the MW as I have it for now.

Not at all. In fact, we have been advertising for a DPL for quite a while now; the tilde ~ in front of the title tells everyone that we need one. When someone does post in this thread and offer their services, you will be the one to respond and accept their services. At that point I will add them officially. The temporary paragraph is not important any longer and I will remove it now.
Thank you. In this Solo I am going to use headphones as well. I received them yesterday.

I note your point about having advertised for a DPL since the tilde was present. I also felt that I could not expect a DPL until I had got the MW to a certain state; I am happy that such a state is present now. This is a tricky text to fill out; Lilly doesn't always number pages!

I also don't see the point of having proof listeners: each one would need an explanation from me on how the 1600's typeface/text works. A DPL would be better. This is a bit like orienteering where I have the map and compass and know the land better than my partner.

Thus it might be better in this case if I did not post in Proof Listeners wanted.

NOTE: considering the enormous length of this book [44 hours by my calculations] there may well be a few DPL's over that time.]
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

OK, I have started off with something easy for me. [still impossible for anyone else!] : section 7.

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/christianastrology_007_lilly_128kb.mp3

length: 8:17 ready for DPL.

Now I can think about getting a DPL, listener etc.

Xmas season so I might not get anyone to DPL in December. Santa Claus defeats all astrological tradition.