[COMPLETE] The Creatures That Time Forgot by Ray Bradbury - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

The Creatures That Time Forgot, by Ray Bradbury (1920 - 2012)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-creatures-that-time-forgot-by-ray-bradbury/

Volunteers outside the USA: Ray Bradbury died in 2012. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 50 years; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
Mad, impossible world! Sun-blasted by day,
cold-wracked by night—and life condensed by
radiation into eight days! Sim eyed the
Ship—if he only dared reach it and
escape! ... but it was more than half an
hour distant—the limit of life itself! (Summary by Planet Stories, Fall 1946)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/63874

Target completion date:

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
[*]Project Code: ApSbLz9Y
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Bradbury (Ray Bradbury)
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 7
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
[*]Original publication date (if known):
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
[/list]

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Science Fiction

Keywords that describe the book:

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Creatures That Time Forgot. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Creatures That Time Forgot, by Ray Bradbury. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Creatures That Time Forgot, by Ray Bradbury. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Creatures That Time Forgot, by Ray Bradbury."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: creaturesthattimeforgot_##_bradbury_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. creaturesthattimeforgot_01_bradbury_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: icequeen

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

I can MC this one for you! Back in a moment with your MW!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

OK, the MW is up, and we will wait here a day or two to see if we can pick up a DPL!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

icequeen wrote: November 29th, 2022, 5:06 pm OK, the MW is up, and we will wait here a day or two to see if we can pick up a DPL!
Thanks! This should be a quick one.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Off we go to Going Solo!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

I would enjoy being the DPL for this project. I have DPL experience and would be happy to do this. - Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

BetsyWalker wrote: December 4th, 2022, 10:02 am I would enjoy being the DPL for this project. I have DPL experience and would be happy to do this. - Betsy
Thanks! Much appreciated!
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

Okay - I'll dive in today! I'll need access to the MW to post my results.

Also, just a reminder to everyone that the entire Librivox website is being taken down tomorrow. I'll download what I need today, but we cannot have any interaction tomorrow and possibly also Tuesday. Here's what was posted TriciaG:
~~~
We're updating the underlying guts in the LibriVox server. To do this, we need to take down the entire site.

The LibriVox site will be out of commission on Monday, December 5th and possibly into Tuesday, December 6th.

We expect the site to do down around 5:00 am EST (CLICK HERE to determine the time in your time zone). The update will take at least the full day, and possibly into Tuesday.

We will post updates as we receive them on our Twitter page: https://twitter.com/librivox

Now's the time to download your texts and section commitments, intro/outro wordings, etc., your files to PL, and anything else you can work on off-site.

Cataloged projects will still be available at Archive: https://archive.org/details/librivoxaudio
Betsy in Santa Fe
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

BetsyWalker wrote: December 4th, 2022, 2:19 pm Okay - I'll dive in today! I'll need access to the MW to post my results.

Also, just a reminder to everyone that the entire Librivox website is being taken down tomorrow. I'll download what I need today, but we cannot have any interaction tomorrow and possibly also Tuesday. Here's what was posted TriciaG:
~~~
We're updating the underlying guts in the LibriVox server. To do this, we need to take down the entire site.

The LibriVox site will be out of commission on Monday, December 5th and possibly into Tuesday, December 6th.

We expect the site to do down around 5:00 am EST (CLICK HERE to determine the time in your time zone). The update will take at least the full day, and possibly into Tuesday.

We will post updates as we receive them on our Twitter page: https://twitter.com/librivox

Now's the time to download your texts and section commitments, intro/outro wordings, etc., your files to PL, and anything else you can work on off-site.

Cataloged projects will still be available at Archive: https://archive.org/details/librivoxaudio
Ok, cool. Sections 1 through 4 are up now, so that should give you something to do while the site is down the next day or two. :D
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

BetsyWalker wrote: December 4th, 2022, 10:02 am I would enjoy being the DPL for this project. I have DPL experience and would be happy to do this. - Betsy
You have access to the MW, Betsy! Thank you!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

PL notes/feedback on Sections I-IV:
This is really well read. Ben's style is very engaging. :clap: I have just a few notes:
All sections meet Checker specs.
SECTION 1
--Intro info is not in the order specified. But nothing’s missing.
--In each of the following chapters, the “for more information” sentence in the intro is missing.
--This text at the beginning of Chapter 1 was not included. This may have been intentional. But I question why to not include it.
Mad, impossible world! Sun-blasted by day, cold-wracked by night—and life condensed by radiation into eight days! Sim eyed the Ship—if he only dared reach it and escape! ... but it was more than half an hour distant—the limit of life itself!
SECTION 2 is fine
SECTION 3
--6:47 – Your correction about river channels is good, but the portion you meant to replace is still there.
SECTION 4 is fine
Betsy in Santa Fe
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

BetsyWalker wrote: December 4th, 2022, 4:37 pm PL notes/feedback on Sections I-IV:
This is really well read. Ben's style is very engaging. :clap: I have just a few notes:
All sections meet Checker specs.
SECTION 1
--Intro info is not in the order specified. But nothing’s missing.
--In each of the following chapters, the “for more information” sentence in the intro is missing.
--This text at the beginning of Chapter 1 was not included. This may have been intentional. But I question why to not include it.
Mad, impossible world! Sun-blasted by day, cold-wracked by night—and life condensed by radiation into eight days! Sim eyed the Ship—if he only dared reach it and escape! ... but it was more than half an hour distant—the limit of life itself!
For Solo projects the "for more information" isn't required for chapters following the first one (see the OP for format example).
I did intentionally leave out the intro text since it was in the description, but I went ahead and added it in, cuz yea, why not?
--6:47 – Your correction about river channels is good, but the portion you meant to replace is still there.
Fixed.

Sections 5 through 7 are up as well!
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

Thanks for your reply. You're fast! :P I'll do the PLing tonight or tomorrow. - Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

Good fixes and a lot of the new work is perfect! In chapter 8 I have just two comments:

--6:41 – sounds like a sniff, but might just be a remnant of an edit.
--9:20 – read “hand” instead of “head”. "hand" would be okay, but the original "head" is a bit more tender on her part.
Betsy in Santa Fe
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

BetsyWalker wrote: December 7th, 2022, 3:16 pm Good fixes and a lot of the new work is perfect! In chapter 8 I have just two comments:

--6:41 – sounds like a sniff, but might just be a remnant of an edit.
--9:20 – read “hand” instead of “head”. "hand" would be okay, but the original "head" is a bit more tender on her part.
Ok, they should be fixed now!