[COMPLETE] Panchatantra by Vishnu Sharma - kaz

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
dckabir

Post by dckabir »

Panchatantra, by Vishnu Sharma, translated by Arthur William Ryder (1877 - 1938)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/panchatantra-by-vishnu-sharma/
A collection of the most ancient and widely known stories in the world. The wisdom and wit in the verses of these frame stories sets the Panchatantra apart from any story book. The majority of the characters are animals who present a shrewd and undeceived view of life.
(Summary by dc )
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/panchatantra0000arth/page/n7/mode/2up

Target completion date: 2023-12-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Panchatantra. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Panchatantra, by Vishnu Sharma, translated by Arthur William Ryder. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Panchatantra, by Vishnu Sharma, translated by Arthur William Ryder. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Panchatantra, by Vishnu Sharma, translated by Arthur William Ryder."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: panchatantra_##_sharma_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. panchatantra_01_sharma_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Kazbek

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by dckabir on December 10th, 2022, 7:38 am, edited 5 times in total.
dc
dckabir

Post by dckabir »

Hello

I was looking to read this work in Hindi but was unable to find a text with the 'published date' on it.
While filling out the form, I forgot to update the link into the English translated work which I will be reading now.
The correct link is : https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.37110/mode/1up?view=theater

Thank you
dc
dc
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

DC, I'll be glad to set this up for you. The MW is up. I've replaced the source link with a scan that was uploaded by Internet Archive's own team, so we can be sure that it stays there. It's a bit bleaker, though. Let me know if that's a problem for you. In the future you can edit your own posts by clicking the pencil icon at the top.

I'm happy to see this project being started. We have a recording of an English translation of the Arabic translation of the Middle Persian translation of Panchatantra. It will be great to have something closer to the original and Ryder's translations are highly regarded.

Michael
dckabir

Post by dckabir »

Kazbek wrote: November 28th, 2022, 10:26 am DC, I'll be glad to set this up for you. The MW is up. I've replaced the source link with a scan that was uploaded by Internet Archive's own team, so we can be sure that it stays there. It's a bit bleaker, though. Let me know if that's a problem for you. In the future you can edit your own posts by clicking the pencil icon at the top.

I'm happy to see this project being started. We have a recording of an English translation of the Arabic translation of the Middle Persian translation of Panchatantra. It will be great to have something closer to the original and Ryder's translations are highly regarded.

Michael
Thank you for setting this up.
I'm excited to start working on this, hopefully we'll have a DPL soon.
It's amazing that this work has been translated so many times into various languages but sadly I'm unable to find a Hindi text published by 1926, was hoping to read them parallely.
I did however find one Sanskrit work with Hindi translations published in 1910 and since I have you here, may I ask if it's ok to read only the Hindi portions from this text?
https://archive.org/details/PanchatantraSanskritHindi-JpMishra1910/page/n41/mode/thumb

dc
dc
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Yes, since the Sanskrit original and the Hindi translation are two standalone texts, you can read the Hindi text on its own. I'm a little confused because the title page of your last link says "Panchatantra", but you said you haven't been able to find a PD Hindi translation.

Michael
dckabir

Post by dckabir »

Kazbek wrote: November 29th, 2022, 3:36 pm Yes, since the Sanskrit original and the Hindi translation are two standalone texts, you can read the Hindi text on its own. I'm a little confused because the title page of your last link says "Panchatantra", but you said you haven't been able to find a PD Hindi translation.

Michael
It didn't have the publication date and I wasn't sure it was pd:
https://archive.org/details/HindiBookPanchtantraByShriVishnuSharma/mode/2up

The 1910 Sanskrit and Hindi version though seems clearly a pd, thank you for vetting it.
dc
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

And the 1910 scan is Panchatantra, like the title page says? Would you like to change the solo to the Hindi version, then, or stick with the English one?

Michael
dckabir

Post by dckabir »

Kazbek wrote: November 29th, 2022, 5:59 pm And the 1910 scan is Panchatantra, like the title page says? Would you like to change the solo to the Hindi version, then, or stick with the English one?

Michael
I'll be bold and start another solo for the Hindi version and give myself double the time to finish :)
dc
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Bold indeed! I'm guessing the Sanskrit word for that would be dashatantra. :D

Michael
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Moving the thread to Going Solo.
dckabir

Post by dckabir »

Kazbek wrote: November 29th, 2022, 7:35 pm Bold indeed! I'm guessing the Sanskrit word for that would be dashatantra. :D

Michael
The language used in this text is difficult and while reading aloud I'm stumbling on every second word. Maybe I'll put this on hold until I come across an easier translation.
I guess not that bold afterall :mrgreen:
dc
dckabir

Post by dckabir »

Kazbek wrote: November 30th, 2022, 6:54 pm Moving the thread to Going Solo.
Thank you
dc
dckabir

Post by dckabir »

sections 1 and 2 are up
dc
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

You could post a PL ad in the forum Proof Listeners or Editors Wanted. There's a thread with instructions pinned at the top:

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=17680

Detailed instructions are in the third post:

viewtopic.php?p=318668#p318668

Michael
dckabir

Post by dckabir »

done
viewtopic.php?t=95668

Thank you
dc