[COMPLETE] Within The Tides, by Joseph Conrad - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Within The Tides, by Joseph Conrad (1857 - 1924)

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/within-the-tides-by-joseph-conrad/
A self-important English philosopher and his haughty, beautiful daughter sail to the South Pacific in hope of locating the daughter's wrongly accused fiancée and rehabilitating his reputation. An evasive silk planter who may have met the man in question has other plans, however, for the beautiful, if dangerously vapid, daughter. A patent medicine salesman goes into partnership with an honest but financially troubled ship owner. What could go possibly wrong? During the Napoleonic era, a young British naval officer has a terrifying encounter involving a bed in Spain in which an Archbishop has once slept. The kind-hearted captain of a small steamer in the Far East undertakes a voyage to collect silver dollars being withdrawn from circulation from various trading stations, but runs up against three vicious rogues, one without hands, who have their own ideas about where those dollars belong. Even the greatest authors have to pay their bills — and these four stories, originally published in magazines, would appear to show Conrad writing very much in a bill-paying frame of mind. (Summary by Peter Dann)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1053

Target completion date: 2023-02-28

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: Literary Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: short stories - english

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Within The Tides. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Within The Tides, by Joseph Conrad. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Within The Tides, by Joseph Conrad. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Within The Tides, by Joseph Conrad."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: withinthetides_##_conrad_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. withinthetides_01_conrad_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: craigdav1

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by TheBanjo on December 17th, 2022, 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Sunrise2020 has (most kindly) agreed to act as DPL for this project.

As far as I can tell, there is not already a recording of this work in the Librivox catalogue.

While I'll be able to get started on this work immediately, it's possible there will be a hiatus in my recording activity from late December through to late January, owing to family commitments here.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

MW coming up.

edit: Yes, another JC! Do you plan to use "section #" in the intros/outros and at the end of the intro give the story title and part #?
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

craigdav1 wrote: November 28th, 2022, 7:08 pm
edit: Yes, another JC! Do you plan to use "section #" in the intros/outros and at the end of the intro give the story title and part #?
Hi Dave,

There are four tales in this collection. Conrad divided the first ("The Planter of Malata") and the last ("Because of the Dollars") explicitly into what he called "chapters". For those tales, I will be following Conrad's scheme. Conrad did not divide the second and third tales into parts at all, but I feel they are both too long to read as single tracks. I am therefore dividing these two into what I am calling "sections".

I hope the following examples of intros I am planning to use makes clear the approach I'm planning to take. I followed a scheme broadly similar to this with the last collection of Conrad stories I recorded ("'Twixt Land and Sea").

The Planter of Malata, the first tale in Within The Tides.
This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org.
Read by Peter Dann
The Planter of Malata, by Joseph Conrad. Chapter 1.

Chapter 2 of The Planter of Malata, by Joseph Conrad.
This LibriVox recording is in the public domain.
Read by Peter Dann.
The Planter of Malata, Chapter 2

The Partner, the second tale in Within the Tides. Section 1.
Read by Peter Dann.
The Partner, Section 1

The Partner, Section 2.
Read by Peter Dann.
The Partner, Section 2

The Inn of the Two Witches, the third tale in Within the Tides. Section 1.
Read by Peter Dann.
The Inn of the Two Witches, Section 1

The Inn of the Two Witches, Section 2.
Read by Peter Dann.
The Inn of the Two Witches, Section 2

Because of the Dollars, the fourth tale in Within the Tides. Chapter 1.
Read by Peter Dann.
Because of the Dollars, Chapter 1

Because of the Dollars, Chapter 2.
Read by Peter Dann.
Because of the Dollars, Chapter 2

Do you think this looks okay?

Peter
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

For outros, I am planning to use forms such as this:

End of Chapter 1

End of The Planter of Malata

End of Section 1

End of The Partner

End of Because of the Dollars.
End of Within the Tides, by Joseph Conrad

[The last two lines in this list would be the final outro for the whole book]
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Sounds fine.
Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 »

Another Conrad. Looking forward to it :D
==========
Susanne
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Moving to Going Solo forum.
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

I have uploaded section 01: https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/withinthetides_01_conrad_128kb.mp3 (19:30)

I remember hearing once someone describe how the conventional plays of the early twentieth century used to begin with what he called a "dusting the bannisters" sequence, where two housemaids came on stage and used the pretext of dusting the bannisters and rearranging the flower vases to chatter about Lord and Lady X, and how the disgraced youngest son of Lady X was expected home at any moment, and how Lord X's sister-in-law simply could not abide this disgraced youngest son, and how.... (you get the idea). Shades of this sort of thing in Conrad's opening here, it seems to me — at first sight, anyway.
Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 »

Section 1 is ok.

Back in familiar territory.
==========
Susanne
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Sunrise2020 wrote: November 30th, 2022, 11:06 am Back in familiar territory.
Figuratively, certainly. Literally speaking, I suspect we're in Sydney Australia at the moment, though it's not clearly spelled out.

I have uploaded section 02: https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/withinthetides_02_conrad_128kb.mp3 (16:56)
Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 »

Sections 2-5 are ok.
==========
Susanne
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

I have uploaded:
Section 08: https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/withinthetides_08_conrad_128kb.mp3 (10:15)
Section 09: https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/withinthetides_09_conrad_128kb.mp3 (11:51)

For me, this is developing slight shades of Antonioni's L'Avventura ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%27Avventura )