[COMPLETE] The Crux by Charlotte Perkins Gilman - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

The Crux, by Charlotte Perkins Gilman (1860 - 1935)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-crux-by-charlotte-perkins-gilman/
"This story is, first, for young women to read; second, for young men to read; after that, for anybody who wants to. Anyone who doubts its facts and figures is referred to "Social Diseases and Marriage," by Dr. Prince Morrow, or to "Hygiene and Morality," by Miss Lavinia Dock, a trained nurse of long experience.

Some will hold that the painful facts disclosed are unfit for young girls to know. Young girls are precisely the ones who must know them, in order that they may protect themselves and their children to come. The time to know of danger is before it is too late to avoid it." From the Preface to The Crux.

A novel about the potential dangers of syphilis to one over-sheltered but rebellious young woman in 19th century America and the circle of friends who counsel her against making a disastrous marriage. (Summaries by Charlotte Perkins Gilman and Winnifred Assmann.)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/38551

Target completion date: 2023-04-15

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
Chapter ## of The Crux. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org. Read by Winnifred Assmann. The Crux, by Charlotte Perkins Gilman. Chapter Title.
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
Chapter ## of The Crux, by Charlotte Perkins Gilman. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain. Read by Winnifred Assmann. Chapter Title.
End of recording:
Say:
End of chapter) ##.
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
End of The Crux, by Charlotte Perkins Gilman.
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: crux_##_gilman_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. crux_01_gilman_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: TriciaG

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by Winnifred on March 27th, 2023, 5:09 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

To the kind MC who picks this up: This novel has a Preface and also an introductory piece of poetry after the table of contents and before Chapter 1. I'll put these up as two separate sections. So it'll need not only a Section 0, but also another one (Section -1?) Whatever you want to call it is fine with me.

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'll set this up.

The lowest we can go is zero - that is to say, the first section can only be section 0 or 1. So if you have two sections of prefatory material, I think you might as well start numbering the sections at 1, since they're not going to correspond with the chapter numbers anyway. Either that, or combine the preface and poem into section 0 as "Prefatory Material".
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

TriciaG wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 4:15 pm I'll set this up.

The lowest we can go is zero - that is to say, the first section can only be section 0 or 1. So if you have two sections of prefatory material, I think you might as well start numbering the sections at 1, since they're not going to correspond with the chapter numbers anyway. Either that, or combine the preface and poem into section 0 as "Prefatory Material".
Thanks for taking this on, Tricia!

I think your latter suggestion is best (combining the two as Prefatory material and calling it section 0). Neither are very long, so that’s not an issue. I’ll leave an appropriate pause to indicate the transition. I don’t seem to be able to alter the section numbers; is that something you have to do or am I just missing how to do it? If we do that, then section and chapter numbers will match.

Cheers,
Last edited by Winnifred on October 2nd, 2022, 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Yeah, it's done behind the scenes by the MC.

It should all be fixed up now. I'll move this to Going Solo. :)
TheKidney

Post by TheKidney »

Hi, I was wondering if you needed a DPL?
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

TheKidney wrote: October 7th, 2022, 12:43 pm Hi, I was wondering if you needed a DPL?
Yes, we do. Thanks! I hope to get the first chapter up here in a couple of weeks, and then churn out at least one a month, sometimes two.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I've put in TheKidney as DPL. 8-)
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

The prefatory materials are now up and ready for proof-listening: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/crux_00_gilman_128kb.mp3 (2:07). It's in two parts; a prose preface followed by a short poem. I left a short break between them. Let me know if you think it should be longer or shorter.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
TheKidney

Post by TheKidney »

I listened to section the preface and poem and they were good! Also I think the pause in between them is just right length.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

TheKidney wrote: October 25th, 2022, 11:49 am I listened to section the preface and poem and they were good! Also I think the pause in between them is just right length.
Thanks! Now I'm going to reward that approval with another chapter. Chapter 1 is now up: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/crux_01_gilman_128kb.mp3 (24:61).

Two notes:
  • at 22:19, I substituted the word “his” for the “her” that was in the text. It didn’t make sense as it was: “He took her face between her hands.” Hope that’s ok.
  • I didn’t change anything, but I notice that one of the Foote “girls” is called Miss Jessie on the first page of the chapter, and Miss Josie everywhere else. Does that need to be addressed, or do we just hope that listeners don’t notice?

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I didn’t change anything, but I notice that one of the Foote “girls” is called Miss Jessie on the first page of the chapter, and Miss Josie everywhere else. Does that need to be addressed, or do we just hope that listeners don’t notice?
Hmm. If it were my project, I'd be tempted to call it a typo and read the name consistently throughout. Or maybe I'd feel lazy and not bother. :lol: I'd say, it's your choice.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

TriciaG wrote: October 26th, 2022, 4:51 am
I didn’t change anything, but I notice that one of the Foote “girls” is called Miss Jessie on the first page of the chapter, and Miss Josie everywhere else. Does that need to be addressed, or do we just hope that listeners don’t notice?
Hmm. If it were my project, I'd be tempted to call it a typo and read the name consistently throughout. Or maybe I'd feel lazy and not bother. :lol: I'd say, it's your choice.
I think I'm going to go back and change that first Jessie to Josie. It's going to niggle at me if I don't.

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

And I've made that change (at about 55 seconds in). File is in the same place: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/crux_01_gilman_128kb.mp3 and still the same length.

I also reported the two errors to Project Gutenberg.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Heard back from Project Gutenberg. They agreed with me and have made those two corrections. Hooray!

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted: