COMPLETE: The Charwoman's Shadow, by Lord Dunsany -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

The Charwoman's Shadow, by Lord Dunsany (1878 - 1957)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/the-charwomans-shadow-by-lord-dunsany/

Volunteers outside the USA: Lord Dunsany died in 1957. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 50 years; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
Delightfully imaginative, somewhat similar to Dunsany's blockbuster fantasy novel, The King Of Elfland's Daughter (and published just two years after it), this equally entertaining, verbally voluptuous tale brings us in touch with the heraldry, artistry, and superstitions of the bygone Golden Age of Spain; with the magical arts of ancient times-- alchemy, wizardry, potions, forest creatures that go bump in the night, quests for esoteric knowledge, use of the Philosopher's Stone, and the Catholic church's war against the 'Black Art". Above all, Dunsany explores the many mysterious properties of shadows, and warns what havoc might befall you if you lose yours. Published in 1926. (Summary by Michele Fry, narrator, January 2023 )
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.b3834766&view=1up&seq=10&skin=2021

Target completion date:

Prooflistening level: Special. I will ask my DPL to follow along with the text and notate significant discrepancies (that change meaning, confuse, misdirect, mispronounce, miss the point, use wrong voice, etc).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Fantasy Fiction, Romance, Action and Adventure Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: fantasy, romance, heraldry, wizardry, love, Spain, potions, shadows, Edward John Moreton Drax Plunkett, Philosopher's Stone, Golden Age, Black Art,

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Chapter) # of The Charwoman's Shadow, by Lord Dunsany, published in 1926. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name, date."] "Chapter #, Title, as shown in the MW[/i]."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Chapter) # of The Charwoman's Shadow, by Lord Dunsany. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read/recorded by your name, date."] "Chapter #, Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of Chapter#, Title."

final section of the book, add:
"End of The Charwoman's Shadow, by Lord Dunsany."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: charwomansshadow_##_dunsany_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. charwomansshadow_01_dunsany_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: knotyouraveragejo

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by msfry on January 17th, 2023, 2:13 pm, edited 13 times in total.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I just filled up my MC plate again, but FYI, I found the work on Archive: https://archive.org/details/charwomansshadow0000lord/page/n7/mode/2up
It might be an easier one to read from than Hathi, especially if you prefer to download the PDF. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
msfry

Post by msfry »

Wow, thanks. With the PDF I can count words rather than pages and maybe cut down on the number of sections.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi Michele. I can MC this for you. You can use whichever text you prefer. They should be the same. I typically prefer reading from HathiTrust , but like I said it's up to you. MW coming up...
Jo
msfry

Post by msfry »

Alright! Working on it now. I plugged in this text which I am actually going to be reading from.

https://archive.org/details/charwomansshadow0000lord/page/14/mode/1up

Thanks for picking it up. Pam Flaherty expressed an interest to DPL my next project, so I PM'd her but haven't heard from her yet. We can wait a few days before advertising.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Okay, looks like Pam hasn't been around lately, so I'm opening this up for a DPL.
TheKidney

Post by TheKidney »

Hi, I was wondering if you still needed a DPL?
msfry

Post by msfry »

TheKidney wrote: October 7th, 2022, 12:34 pm Hi, I was wondering if you still needed a DPL?
Hello there, I see you're new and offering to PL on various projects. Indeed, welcome aboard. FYI, I'm recording at my leisure in between other projects, there are 30 chapters, plus I have days where I'm coughing and a bit hoarse (a lingering effect of covid from a few months back), so this won't likely roll out very fast. Chapter 1 is up, so how about you PL that one and see how it goes. My ProofListener specs are stated in the First Post: Special, and I like constructive feedback.

What should I call you?
msfry

Post by msfry »

Sections 2 and 3 are uploaded.
The links will be posted in the MW for the DPL to download.

Just waiting for TheKidney to show up, or for a DPL to come along . . . whoever comes first.

Note to TheKidney: Since you haven't done this before, just right-click on the link in the Magic Window (MW) and "Save as" to your computer. Then open in Audacity and listen with headphones, following along with the text using the link provided in the First Post, and notating via time stamp any discrepancies you find using the Special (not Word Perfect) criteria. I will check all tec specs in Checker prior to uploading, so that will save you a step.
TheKidney

Post by TheKidney »

Listened to the first three chapters. The first one is good, in the second at 1:54 Page 17 you say spirits instead of saints. I don't know if you want to change that or not. In chapter 3 at 5:05 page 31 When the lady says "Look" she does so in a different tone and voice than she has all of the other times in the chapter.
msfry

Post by msfry »

TheKidney wrote: October 11th, 2022, 10:32 am Listened to the first three chapters. The first one is good, in the second at 1:54 Page 17 you say spirits instead of saints. I don't know if you want to change that or not. In chapter 3 at 5:05 page 31 When the lady says "Look" she does so in a different tone and voice than she has all of the other times in the chapter.
Thanks. What should I call you?
msfry

Post by msfry »

I made the change at 3, but didn't think it worth the change in 2, and changed the MW accordingly.
TheKidney

Post by TheKidney »

msfry wrote: October 11th, 2022, 10:45 am
TheKidney wrote: October 11th, 2022, 10:32 am Listened to the first three chapters. The first one is good, in the second at 1:54 Page 17 you say spirits instead of saints. I don't know if you want to change that or not. In chapter 3 at 5:05 page 31 When the lady says "Look" she does so in a different tone and voice than she has all of the other times in the chapter.
Thanks. What should I call you?
You can just call me Kidney
TheKidney

Post by TheKidney »

Also listened to the updated chapter 3 and everything is good.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Chapter 4 is up.