[SOLO] An Inaugural Dissertation on Pulmonary Consumption - philc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

An Inaugural Dissertation on Pulmonary Consumption, by Edward Delafield (1794 - 1875)

This book is now in our catalog at https://librivox.org/an-inaugural-dissertation-on-pulmonary-consumption-by-edward-delafield/
At a time when diseases termed "consumption" were among the leading cause of death in the county, physicians such as Edward Delafield began to publish observations, research, and studies on the topic. The hope of such works was to share gained knowledge with all physicians with faith that causes and treatments would be found to stop these devastating maladies. This is one such work. (Summary by afutterer)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/68772
The sections have been divided up in this google document. Please read from here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wwmc7QXre-5g7NEzzwGGclG8aD78H_qa/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=109425693588179481053&rtpof=true&sd=true

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
I (afutterer) will PL this work.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/History/Modern (19th C); *Non-fiction/Medical

Keywords that describe the book: medical, diseases, consumption, lung diseases

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Opening and Closing reader verbiage is written into the Google Doc, so just read it as it appears there.

Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: inauguraldissertationonpulmonaryconsumption_##_delafield_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. inauguraldissertationonpulmonaryconsumption_01_delafield_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: philchenevert

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
[/quote]
Last edited by afutterer on September 1st, 2022, 10:09 am, edited 6 times in total.
Anthony

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ~Epictetus
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

I will set this up for you. There will probably be more than two sections needed but let's start with that and see what happens, eh? Have you considered recording this as a solo? It would seem easier but that is your decision. Have you decided on where you will be splitting the text? Also you will need to specify how footnotes will be handled. As a group project, potential readers will need some direction on reading the chart too if that is included. Also, you indicated that it does not have an introduction or preface and it clearly does. Do you intend to leave this out? It seems important to me as explaining the situation when the paper was written. Lots of questions but this will work fine once the details are ironed out.
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

Hi there! Thanks for taking this one on. I certainly know that there will be more than 2 sections, but I will set them up as I need to. There was far too much to count out before hand. I will have to do some serious thinking about how I want to handle dividing it up. I just totally missed the introduction selection. Sorry about that! I had to rush this one to the projects window because I wanted to do it so bad. I maybe should have done some work with it before hand so you would not have to think so much about taking it as MC! :oops:

It would be a great solo project, but I am not recording so I would need someone to step up to do it. I wasn't sure if that was something I could do without first getting someone committed to record the work. It may be a bit of a time investment for someone though. I am not sure how that would work out. I will take suggestions if you have them. Otherwise we can post when ready and see if anyone willing happens across it.

I have thought about footnotes and will have to figure out how to handle those as well. I want then added into the work and I was thinking that they should be cited at each occurrence in the recorded text, instead of doing them all after the text has been read. That method works great for reading, but is terrible for listening. I figured I would add all that detail in at the time the MW is being set up.

There is also that chart...I would really have to think about how to get that information across intelligibly, but first I have to make sense of it myself. There will definitely be some details that will have to be ironed out as I get this one ready to open up for reader(s). I thought I would most likely try to put something together in google docs or something. It will potentially take some effort to get something put together, but it is worth it if the result is smooth and understandable and the process is not too difficult for the recording artist(s).

These and some other reasons (how I want to tackle pronunciation for example) are why I have chosen to make this work the final one I will BC for now. This one will take some time and effort to get correct.

I would be interested to hear any advice you have and any feedback you have as I get this ready to release. Thanks again!
Anthony

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ~Epictetus
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

I would be interested in reading for this if you're looking for volunteers
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

What an interesting project!

There is an interesting coincidence in this, too. Within the town of Delafield, there is a tuberculosis sanitarium that is now shuttered. I've actually been there and have toyed for a long time to write its history. (So many things I should do!)

Do you want some help with the 'sectioning'? I ran the paper through wordcounter and I come up with an estimate of an one and three-quarter hours recording. Sections of 15 minutes get claimed very quickly, in my experience, but I'm learning that there are many readers who have no trouble doing 30 or even 40 minutes.

Just let me know if you'd like help. I'll be sure to record at least one section once you decide what is what.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Hey everybody. Yes this is an interesting project. Anthony, I have added a section 0 for the preface but will let you decide how many sections you would like after that. As for the other things, take your time on deciding footnotes and things like that. We already have several experienced readers offering to help out and one has even given a rough word count for a start. Again, there is no rush and we are all available to give advice when asked for. :D
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

Thank you all for your kind words and support! I will start taking a look at it soon and let you all know if support is required.

Inkell and KevinS,
I am not sure yet if this will be a solo or not. If I did decide to make this a solo project, would either of you be interested in completing it for me? If so, then I can find out your preferences on section lengths to ensure we break it up comfortably for you.
Anthony

Inkell

Post by Inkell »

afutterer wrote: August 19th, 2022, 6:17 am Inkell and KevinS,
I am not sure yet if this will be a solo or not. If I did decide to make this a solo project, would either of you be interested in completing it for me? If so, then I can find out your preferences on section lengths to ensure we break it up comfortably for you.
I would be interested in completing it for you which is why I mentioned my interest because you had said you weren't sure if anyone would be interested in soloing it, it's an interesting subject and not that long especially if split into more manageable sections. I think 2000-3000 is my preferred kind of section length but I have done longer (my longest were almost 7500 words, one of which I still need to edit), it will just take me longer to do because it's harder to set aside a large chunk of time to edit longer raw recordings than shorter ones
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

afutterer wrote: August 19th, 2022, 6:17 am Thank you all for your kind words and support! I will start taking a look at it soon and let you all know if support is required.

Inkell and KevinS,
For my part, I would not be well prepared at this time to record the dissertation as a solo.
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

OK. I have set up and assigned the sections. As a method to determine how to read and break up the text, I edited everything in Google Docs. The link in the initial project post has now been changed to point to this Google Doc instead of the PG text.

I have written all the beginning and end verbiage into the Google Doc as well, so all you have to do is read it.

I did some things to make this easier for the reader:
- broke the work into sections as I saw natural locations for them. Some are a bit longer, but all should be well within the time restrictions of Librivox catalog.
- made translations from Latin and French, to English.
- wrote out the table in the initial section of the work to make this easier for a listener to understand.
- added links to all the occurrences of words that I did not know how to pronounce, which should bring you to a google pronunciation page. If not, then I can go through and put something phonetic in to help with that.
- I added all the footnotes as explicit references throughout, so they can just be read within the text.
- Added verbiage to help a listener understand when there are quotations being cited within the text.

Should be good to just read everything within the Google Doc as it appears. The only thing that I could not translate was a Recipe that was referenced in footnote 8. There are abbreviations for things that I could not define anywhere. Most likely from Latin. See below.

Footnote 8
Recipe:
Vitriol: alb: 3 iij
Alum: rup: 3j
Coccinel: pulv. Grijj
Aq: ferbeul: Ibj
[Translated for this recording, from the original Latin, using Google Translate 2022]
Quote, Mix in a marble mortar. The solution is cleared by starching or settling, or filtered through a paper towel. End quote.
Dos. ℥ss.
End footnote 8

I don't really have a suggestion for this, other than to just read it as it appears, (e.g. "Recipe colon Vitriol colon alb colon 3 i-i-j...") If anyone has other suggestions I am all ears.

I would suggest you all take a look maybe and let me know what you think. If you see changes that should be made or anything. Otherwise, this is ready to go.

I assigned all sections to Inkell at this time.

Thank you and let me know if you find anything that needs work. Otherwise, happy recording!
Anthony

KevinS

Post by KevinS »

The receipt is made up of apothecary weights which were not really regularized until quite late. The abbreviations used are varied, too.

Here is a link to a wiki article that lays it out fairly well: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apothecaries%27_system

How important are the footnotes to this work's recording? (I regularly drop them entirely or decide which are necessary to the work.) Also, I don't think we customarily translate the text but instead we muddle through the language as it is presented. Well, I muddle. Others are a lot better at languages than am I.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Anthony. You have put a lot of work into setting this up. I took the liberty of deleting the second 'first post' you added; there can be only one of these in any project where all the directions are contained and this seemed just a duplicate. Having more than one in the project thread just confuses things.

1). The link to the etext in the first post must be to the pd text, in this case, the original Gutenberg document. https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/68772

2) you can definitely direct readers to the Google doc that you have divided so nicely. Either put the link in the Notes column for each section or make a general statement like "Readers should read from this document" with the link to the doc. You have each section nicely delineated so it should be no proglem.

3) I did not see where Inkell asked to record the entire project. Did he do this privately? He did say he was interested in reading but seemed to be waiting for you to set up the sections before he asked for one. If he did not ask for all of them it would be best to remove his name until this is clarified.

4) The section divisions seem excellent.

5) LibriVox reads the text as written which means in whatever language it is written, so no translations can be allowed. This means you will need to change the google doc back to the original text. As Kevin noted, we muddle through as best we can with other languages.

6. Inserting the footnotes into the text is fine.

Added verbiage to help a listener understand when there are quotations being cited within the text.
Not sure what you mean by this but let me stress that nothing can be added to the text. You may add comments in the Summary to explain things if you wish, but not to the text itself.

OK, you are well on your way to getting this project moving. I am sure you will have questions and we will handle them as the come up.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Your Google Doc is also missing the author's name in the intros.
Added verbiage to help a listener understand when there are quotations being cited within the text.
Not sure what you mean by this but let me stress that nothing can be added to the text. You may add comments in the Summary to explain things if you wish, but not to the text itself.
This looks in the script to be just adding "Quote" and "end quote" on blocks of quoted material.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

TriciaG wrote: August 21st, 2022, 5:43 am Your Google Doc is also missing the author's name in the intros.
This looks in the script to be just adding "Quote" and "end quote" on blocks of quoted material.
Well that is fine then. I misread that. Quote and 'end quote' is acceptable. Thanks Tricia.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Regarding Footnote 8, to add to Kevin's info on apothecary weights, here's some abbreviations explanations:

(the receipt uses Roman numerals, where j is sometimes used as the final i)

Vitriol: alb: latin "albus" for "white"

Ʒ iij = 3 drams

Alum: rup: I believe this should be rub: latin "rubrus" for "red"

Ʒ j = 1 dram

Coccinnel: pulv: latin "pulvis" for "powder"

griij = 3 grains

Aq: fervent: Latin "Aqua ferventi" for "boiling water"

℔j = 1 pound

Dos. = Dose

℥ss. (Latin "semis" for "one half") = ½ ounce

Hope this helps! As to whether you'll read the footnote and how exactly that's up to you (reader/bc/mc).