COMPLETE: The Jade Story Book; Stories from the Orient, by Penrhyn Wingfield Coussens -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

The Jade Story Book; Stories from the Orient, by Penrhyn Wingfield Coussens (1873 - 1944)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/the-jade-story-book-by-penrhyn-wingfield-coussens/

A collection of folklore gathered from India, China, Japan, the Philippines, and Persia. (Summary by Nicole J. LeBoeuf)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/65965

Target completion date: 2023-01-01

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: Children's Fiction/Myths, Legends & Fairy Tales

Keywords that describe the book:

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Jade Story Book. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Jade Story Book; Stories from the Orient, by Penrhyn Wingfield Coussens. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Jade Story Book by Penrhyn Wingfield Coussens. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Jade Story Book; Stories from the Orient, by Penrhyn Wingfield Coussens."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: jadestorybook_##_coussens_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. jadestorybook_01_coussens_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: knotyouraveragejo

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Nicole J. LeBoeuf. It rhymes with "I write stuff."
Recently completed: Orlando: A Biography (Virginia Woolf)
Say hi on Mastodon!
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Pulled from the Book Suggestions forum (thanks, brunosmom!)

I was not able to find anything about the book or author on Wikipedia, so I left those blank.

This is my first attempt at a solo (I've successfully recorded a few chapters so far, so I hope it's ok that I jump right in!) so if I've gotten anything wrong about the set-up do please let me know!

I'll try to get the preface and first story recorded next weekend.
Say hi on Mastodon!
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi Nicole. I'll MC this for you.

Since this will be your first project as soloist/book coordinator(BC), you will need to set up a password for access to the workflow system so you can enter the information into the section compiler which then appears in the "Magic Window" in the top post. Here are some links to detailed instructions for logging into the system and setting a password the first time, as well as for entering and editing information in the section compiler. 

First Time Logging in to the Workflow

Instructions for BCs and DPLs

A version of the above is also in the LibriVox wiki in case you can't access Google Docs for some reason.

BCs - How to Update the Magic Window

If you have any questions, let me know. I'll leave this thread here in the Launch Pad for a day or so longer before I move it to the Going Solo forum, to see if a DPL (Dedicated Prooflistener) volunteers. Looking forward to working with you.
Jo
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

Hey there! I am not sure if you require any help on this, but I saw the "~" and thought I would jump in. If you need a DPL, I would love to help you get your first solo work reviewed. What an exciting event this will be!
Anthony

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ~Epictetus
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

I've added Anthony as DPL. And with that we are ready to move to Going Solo...:)
Jo
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Y'all are the best! I will take any and all guidance, thank you so much!
knotyouraveragejo wrote: August 16th, 2022, 3:02 pm Since this will be your first project as soloist/book coordinator(BC), you will need to set up a password for access to the workflow system so you can enter the information into the section compiler which then appears in the "Magic Window" in the top post. Here are some links to detailed instructions for logging into the system and setting a password the first time, as well as for entering and editing information in the section compiler.[...]
I will try to get this set up and my first two sections recorded this weekend. Thank you again!
Say hi on Mastodon!
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

Thank you both. I am looking forward to it.

NicoleJLeBoeuf,
If you need any assistance setting up or whatever let me know. I will certainly help in every capacity I am able.
Anthony

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ~Epictetus
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Thank you, Anthony and Jo!

I've added section titles to the Magic Window. In the PG text, in the table of contents (but not in the text proper), each section title is followed by a country/region of origin; I included that in parentheses.

Can I just double-check I'm applying the intro/outro template correctly for this book?

For the preface, I would say "Section zero of The Jade Story Book. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings..." [etc. etc. etc.] "...by Penrhyn Wingfield Coussens. Preface."

And for a story section, "Section one of The Jade Story Book..." [etc.] "...Coussens. How the Birds Saved the Emperor’s Life, China."

And since that the origin note is only in the table of contents and not in the text proper, I'm not certain whether I should in fact include it or leave it out?

Thanks again!
Say hi on Mastodon!
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Hi Nicole.

For the Preface, you can just say "Preface of The Jade Story Book, This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings...[etc. etc. etc.] ...by Penrhyn Wingfield Coussens. Preface." rather than section zero and End of Preface at the end. (This is how I always do it.)

For the rest you can use the short disclaimer with wording you have indicated. As for including the country of origin that is fine if you wish to include it, but it isn't necessary. It will appear in the title tag of the mp3. :)
Jo
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: August 19th, 2022, 8:52 am Hi Nicole.

For the Preface, you can just say "Preface of The Jade Story Book, This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings...[etc. etc. etc.] ...by Penrhyn Wingfield Coussens. Preface." rather than section zero and End of Preface at the end. (This is how I always do it.)

For the rest you can use the short disclaimer with wording you have indicated. As for including the country of origin that is fine if you wish to include it, but it isn't necessary. It will appear in the title tag of the mp3. :)
Thank you, that seems clear!
Say hi on Mastodon!
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Preface:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/jadestorybook_00_coussens_128kb.mp3
3:00

I wanted to take especial care with pronunciation of certain words, language names, and titles - especially "Igorot," which I understand to have a derogatory meaning if the accent is on the wrong syllable. Here are a couple of sources:

Hitopadesa / Hitopadesha: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rdh8vxJxBFI

Igorot: https://youtu.be/ho-0V0boBus?t=186

If something I said sounds wrong, please advise! I want to be as respectful as possible (while still reading a 1922 text word-for-word, obviously).

I should have the first couple stories up and ready for PL in the next couple hours.
Say hi on Mastodon!
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

Sounds great Nicole. Thanks for the heads up. I can't wait to hear them! I do feel that I should inform you that I probably won't know if anything is mispronounced. I hope that is ok. If it is not, and you want some word perfect style listening, we can post for that and I will gracefully hand the reigns over to help you get what you would like for your finished result.
Anthony

NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

afutterer wrote: August 21st, 2022, 7:58 pm Sounds great Nicole. Thanks for the heads up. I can't wait to hear them! I do feel that I should inform you that I probably won't know if anything is mispronounced. I hope that is ok. If it is not, and you want some word perfect style listening, we can post for that and I will gracefully hand the reigns over to help you get what you would like for your finished result.
Oh, please don't worry. As much as an ideal world would involve the expertise of someone from each linguistic background, I suspect that for such a small piece of the book, our combined ears will get us within an acceptable margin of error which listeners will understand. And having read the first of the stories, it looks like the text proper will for the most part be relatively intuitive for the English speaker. As I come across words that are less familiar to me, I'll make sure to do a bit of research and take nothing for granted.

Thank you for stepping in, and for all your work going forward!
Say hi on Mastodon!
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

And Sections 1 and 2 are ready for PL:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/jadestorybook_01_coussens_128kb.mp3
15:38

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/jadestorybook_02_coussens_128kb.mp3
7:32

(For Section 2, pronunciation sources, mainly to bookmark them for myself in case I need to reference them again: Durga, Sudraka, Rajpoot (wikipedia)

Enjoy, and thank you!
Say hi on Mastodon!
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

PL NOTES:

SECTION 0-2

PL OK
Anthony