OPEN[PLAY]Don Quixote Part 1 by Thomas D'Urfey - thw

Plays and other dramatic works
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

The Comical History of Don Quixote, Part 1, by Thomas D'Urfey (1653 - 1723)
This is the first of a three-play sequence which was perhaps the first dramatization of Cervantes's novel Don Quixote. Written in English by the Playwright and Lyricist Thomas D'Urfey, it was originally performed with music by Henry Purcell (only the lyrics, by D'Urfey, are presented in this recording).
(Summary by ToddHW)
With the play "Don Quixote in England" almost done, howsabout doing the REAL Don Quixote - except in English since I am horribly monolingual.

This is not the cleanest scan copy in the world but you should be able to figure your way through it. Take a look before claiming. Watch out for the "f's for s's" in the printing of those days - you proved you can handle it on previous plays!

Songs are to be CHANTED, like poetry, not sung. I've put some notes in the MW where things aren't clear, or where I want different people to do different verses, etc. If in doubt about anything, general rule is: record it. Easier to record now and maybe have me not use something than having to try to match your voice and setup to record something later when I discover something maybe ambiguous that no one did.

When you claim a part, please make sure to record the character description from the MW.

Act 3 starts on the missing page 39. See text for missing 2 pages on page 2 of this forum.

Our DPL is redrun. He has finished his recording as Ambrosio and so can devote all his time and attention to helping you deal with those pesky f's for s's!

If this goes well, the text linked below also contains the next 2 parts of Don Quixote to finish the play off....

Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/comicalhistoryd00durgoog/page/n6/mode/2up In case something is too hard to read, you can find a sometimes cleaner scan of the same edition here:
https://books.google.com/books?id=ICQJAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA78&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=3#v=onepage&q&f=false

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming roles: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available roles. Post a reply in this thread asking for the role you would like to record.
Please note: All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
  • Project Code: UMKCrhe8
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_d'Urfey (Thomas D'Urfey)
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Comical_History_of_Don_Quixote
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 65
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
  • Original publication date (if known): 1694
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
  • Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

Genres for the project: Plays/Comedy

Keywords that describe the book: honor, misunderstanding, chivalry, knighthood

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

For individual roles:
Submit one file per act. At the beginning of the first file, say:
"Character, read by your name."
Leave 3-5 seconds of space between your lines (room noise, not generated silence).

For narration/stage directions:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Act # of The Comical History of Don Quixote, Part 1, by Thomas D'Urfey. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
At the end of each file say:
"End of Act #."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Comical History of Don Quixote, Part 1, by Thomas D'Urfey."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename:
For individual roles: comicalhistorypart1_role_#.mp3 where # is the act number. (e.g. comicalhistorypart1_romeo_1.mp3)
For final files: comicalhistorypart1_#_durfey_128kb.mp3 where # is the act number. (e.g. comicalhistorypart1_1_durfey_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: toddhw

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Hi Todd
Can I read Nicolas?

I would have liked to reprise the role of Sancho from the previous play but that part looks too big for me in present circumstances :(

I heard a version of this on the radio some years ago but that was focused more on Purcell's music than the play. It will be interesting to do the play(s) in full :wink:
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

I suppose the "drolling" in your character description might supposed to be "strolling" or maybe "drooling". Though the text is pretty clear about "drolling". Let me know if you decide to change the word.

Todd
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

May I read Sancho?

Cheers
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Do I need to read the Epilogue for Sancho?
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by ToddHW »

Yes please. Read the Epilogue. Put it in the Act 5 file, please.

Thanks, Todd
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

What about the song?
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by Availle »

Now, that sounds interesting!

Could I read 23 - Marcella please?
I do notice that said Chrysostom is not in the play even though he's mentioned twice in the MW? is he killed off that quickly? :shock:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

I'm afraid to reveal that Chysostom enjoys a nice funeral procession or something, but I think he is gone past the point of having any lines before the play begins...

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Algy Pug wrote: August 16th, 2022, 6:10 pm What about the song?
I mostly only marked songs in the MW where it might not have been clear who should speak a song. If I said nothing I either 1) missed it, or 2) thought it was clear.... Where are you referring to?

Thanks, Todd
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Sancho has a song in Act 4 scene 1 (page 74.)
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by ToddHW »

Yes, Sancho does.

Of course he will CHANT the song, not sing it.

Thanks, Todd
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

ToddHW wrote: August 16th, 2022, 1:59 pm I suppose the "drolling" in your character description might supposed to be "strolling" or maybe "drooling". Though the text is pretty clear about "drolling". Let me know if you decide to change the word.
I think a drolling character was one who made droll remarks (amusing, whimsical, mildly sarcastic). Perhaps used more in England than the US.
A bit like me really :lol:
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Droll I had heard of, and yes, you do that well and often. It was the -ing added to this version that made me wonder if there be gremlins in the typographical office.

Thanks, Todd