[COMPLETE] Beethoven: The Man and the Artist - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
lkirk

Post by lkirk »

Beethoven: The Man and the Artist, as Revealed in his Own Words, by Ludwig van Beethoven (1770 - 1827), translated by Henry Edward Krehbiel (1854 - 1923) and Friedrich Kerst (1870 - )

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/beethoven-the-man-and-the-artist-as-revealed-in-his-own-words-by-ludwig-van-beethoven/
This book consists of brief biographical commentaries about Beethoven arranged by topic and followed by quotations by Beethoven about the topic. Note: There are incorrect dates in the quotation references that do not match the chronology of Beethoven's life but the reader has read them as printed in the original text. (Summary by lkirk)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/files/3528/3528-h/3528-h.htm

Target completion date: 2022-10-15

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Beethoven: The Man and the Artist, as Revealed in his Own Words. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Beethoven: The Man and the Artist, as Revealed in his Own Words, by Ludwig van Beethoven, translated by Henry Edward Krehbiel and Friedrich Kerst. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Beethoven: The Man and the Artist, as Revealed in his Own Words, by Ludwig van Beethoven, translated by Henry Edward Krehbiel and Friedrich Kerst. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Beethoven: The Man and the Artist, as Revealed in his Own Words, by Ludwig van Beethoven, translated by Henry Edward Krehbiel and Friedrich Kerst."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: beethoven_##_beethoven_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. beethovenn_01_beethoven_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: TriciaG

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread
Last edited by lkirk on August 24th, 2022, 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
lkirk

Post by lkirk »

Mozartjr has offered to be the DPL for this project.
lkirk

Post by lkirk »

I am flexible with regard to the number of sections for this project and initially had 6 listed. Because the topics covered in the book were so different in length it wasn't easy to divide the book into logical sections so I will be happy with any division the MC devises. I generally prefer longer sections. Thank you.
Mozartjr

Post by Mozartjr »

I'm checking in as DPL! :thumbs: :thumbs:
Mozartjr
lkirk

Post by lkirk »

Good, thank you!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

OK, this is set up.

Regarding the number of sections: we try to limit the length of sections to about 74 minutes, so they can be burned onto an audio CD. Other than that, it's your choice as soloist/BC how you want to set up the sections. :)

I shortened the file name while I was in there.

---

As you're the soloist, you're in charge of updating the Magic Window.

Detailed Instructions for accessing the Magic Window can be found in the document linked here: Instructions for Soloists

I've entered the first two sections for you as an example. You can fill in the rest, and you can change them however you need to.

When you upload a chapter, put the file duration (mm:ss) in the Notes field and the uploaded URL into the Listen URL field, and mark it from Assigned to Ready for PL.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
lkirk

Post by lkirk »

Thank you very much for setting this up, I appreciate it.
lkirk

Post by lkirk »

I just uploaded the first section but after I uploaded it I realized that the first section was 00, not 01 as I thought! It has been recorded as 01 so is there some way to relabel and reorganize the sections so that we start with 01 and go from there. Sorry about that, everything had been going well up until then!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Quick fix on the MC's end. Done. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
lkirk

Post by lkirk »

Thank you!
lkirk

Post by lkirk »

lkirk

Post by lkirk »

Mozartjr

Post by Mozartjr »

lkirk wrote: August 12th, 2022, 3:07 pm I just uploaded the first section but after I uploaded it I realized that the first section was 00, not 01 as I thought! It has been recorded as 01 so is there some way to relabel and reorganize the sections so that we start with 01 and go from there. Sorry about that, everything had been going well up until then!
Section 01 is PL OK!
Mozartjr
lkirk

Post by lkirk »

Thank you!
Mozartjr

Post by Mozartjr »

lkirk wrote: August 16th, 2022, 10:35 am Section 2 is ready for proof listening https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/beethoven_02_beethoven_128kb.mp3

12:55
Section 2 is PL OK!
Mozartjr