[COMPLETE] Masters of the Vortex by E.E. Smith-ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
barleyguy

Post by barleyguy »

Masters of the Vortex, by E. E. Smith (1890 - 1965)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/masters-of-the-vortex-by-e-e-smith//

Volunteers outside the USA: E. E. Smith died in 1965. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 50 years; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
"Masters of the Vortex" is a 1960 novel by E.E. "Doc" Smith which incorporates and expands upon three short stories, "The Vortex Blaster", "Storm Cloud on Deka", and "The Vortex Blaster Makes War". Somewhat confusingly, it was originally published under the title "The Vortex Blaster", the same name as the first short story, before being republished as "Masters of the Vortex". It is the final novel, or a spinoff, of The Lensmen stories. It follows the adventures of Neal "Storm" Cloud, a brilliant mathematician who makes it his personal mission to snuff out wild nuclear vortexes all over the galaxy, at great risk to his own safety. He visits multiple alien worlds and their intelligent species, and gains a crew and a protege. Can he successfully destroy the nuclear vortexes? And are all of them random occurrences, or are they being used for nefarious means? (Summary by Harley James)

Source text (please read only from this text!): https://gutenberg.org/ebooks/68397

Target completion date:

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
[*]Project Code: 2T8z6emr
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._E._Smith (E. E. Smith)
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Vortex_Blaster
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 18
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
[*]Original publication date (if known): 1960
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
[/list]

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Science Fiction; Action & Adventure Fiction

Keywords that describe the book:

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Masters of the Vortex. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Masters of the Vortex, by E. E. Smith. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Masters of the Vortex, by E. E. Smith. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Masters of the Vortex, by E. E. Smith."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: mastersofthevortex_##_smith_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. mastersofthevortex_01_smith_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Annise

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by barleyguy on August 8th, 2022, 12:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
So that's what an invisible barrier looks like... (Time Bandits)
barleyguy

Post by barleyguy »

Greetings. :)

This is my first solo. I will doubtless have things to learn. I'd appreciate an MC and a DPL if anyone would like to volunteer.

I'm planning to start recording on Monday, and hopefully do a couple of chapters a week until the book is completed.

Thanks,

Harley.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Just fyi
According to the book MASTERS OF THE VORTEX
(original title: The Vortex Blaster)
And we have a couple of recordings of both already of about 48 minutes long so it would make the SciFi collection easily.
So I am finding the number of sections rather excessive - unless I am talking about a different book?
Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Just fyi
And we have a couple of recordings of both already of about 48 minutes long so it would make the SciFi collection easily.
So I am finding the number of sections rather excessive - unless I am talking about a different book?
Anne
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

annise wrote: August 6th, 2022, 8:28 pm Just fyi
Anne
Interesting - there are two different PG books and they each link to each other claiming "Also published as" but the texts are totally different. As you've said, the short one is about 8000 words and this long one is 69,000. What a mystery. I wonder if the good gweeks who worked on transcribing both can clear it up:
gweeks wrote: June 25th, 2022, 3:28 am Masters of the vortex by Edward E. Smith
https://gutenberg.org/ebooks/68397

This is almost a Lensman story. It's Neal "Storm" Cloud's adventures going around the Lensman universe blowing out atomic vortexes.

Greg
American Trials Vol. 3 95% 5 left!
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 93% 2 left!
Devotional Commentary: Apocalypse 85%
Emotions
PL pls: DPL DPL DPL 43 27-28
barleyguy

Post by barleyguy »

I think what's going on with the length is that there was originally a trilogy of Vortex Blaster books. The one that was originally on Gutenberg and already recorded here is only the first book of the trilogy. Judging by the file size of the text version, "Masters of the Vortex" is the entire story, which is 18 chapters as opposed to 4 chapters.

This was just released to Gutenberg a few days ago, so I don't think the entire thing has ever been recorded here before.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'll PM Greg so it is clear - If there are 2 different ones we'll need to tweak the catalogue somehow to differentiate.

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

And I'll set it up for you and do any title twitching needed when I catalogue ... Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kVj409nG_E0XJ5UrrcL7EVx7Qyx-2UQ7dbw4mINi3XQ/edit should help you log in to the workflow and then edit the MW. Let me know if you have problems.

Anne
barleyguy

Post by barleyguy »

Hi. Anne, thanks for helping set this up. I filled in the section titles and assigned myself all of the sections. Do you paste the MW into the first post?

Also, should I temporarily add a tilde ~ to the first post to ask for a DPL for this project?

Cheers,

Harley.
gweeks

Post by gweeks »

There were three novelettes/short stories (the vortex blaster, storm cloud on deka, the vortex blaster makes war) that make up about the first half of the novel. When they first published the novel they reused the title the vortex blaster. The next publication of the novel changed the name to Masters of the vortex.

The version at PG under the title the vortex blaster is the short story.

Greg
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Thanks Greg, it would have been easier if they had thought up a new name.
I've added the PL wanted banner, I may tweak the summary a bit to explain the names but there is time to think that out.
The MW looks fine.
You are the BC for a Solo, so it is up to you to keep the MW up to date as well - add your recordings, and a time and switch the ready for PL menu
Have fun.

Anne
barleyguy

Post by barleyguy »

annise wrote: August 7th, 2022, 2:59 pm Thanks Greg, it would have been easier if they had thought up a new name.
I've added the PL wanted banner, I may tweak the summary a bit to explain the names but there is time to think that out.
The MW looks fine.
You are the BC for a Solo, so it is up to you to keep the MW up to date as well - add your recordings, and a time and switch the ready for PL menu
Have fun.

Anne
Sounds great. I think I have the process under control and plan to enjoy as well. :)

I was considering whether the summary should be longer in general. When I filled it in, I wasn't completely comfortable with the process of creating a new solo. Maybe we can do a summary that explains the difference between the novel and short story and also describes the plot a little better. But as you said, there is time to think that out.

Thanks.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

There is no rush with summary changes - they can easily made even after cataloguing , it is about the only later change that is needed so I'm also contemplating adding a bit to the short story solo to explain.
If you do decide to change it just tell me, the template creates the database and you can't change the database.

Anne
barleyguy

Post by barleyguy »

annise wrote: August 7th, 2022, 7:48 pm There is no rush with summary changes - they can easily made even after cataloguing , it is about the only later change that is needed so I'm also contemplating adding a bit to the short story solo to explain.
If you do decide to change it just tell me, the template creates the database and you can't change the database.

Anne
Hi. I wrote a new summary. Please let me know what you think, and push it to the database.

Cheers,

Harley.