COMPLETE: Bee and Butterfly, A Tale of Two Cousins by Lucy Foster Madison - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Nammy

Post by Nammy »

Bee and Butterfly, A Tale of Two Cousins by Lucy Foster Madison (1965 - 1932)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/bee-and-butterfly-by-lucy-foster-madison/

The wonderful evolution of a caterpillar, or grub, into a beautifully winged creature must inspire admiration in everyone. More marvelous still is the growth of the human soul which in many respects resembles the development of the butterfly. It is this thought which has induced the author to attempt to depict the transformation of a careless maiden into noble womanhood. (Summary by Lucy Foster Madison)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/33407

Target completion date: 2022-09-01

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: General Fiction/Published 1900 onward; Children's Fiction/Family

Keywords that describe the book:

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Chapter # of Bee and Butterfly, A Tale of Two Cousins by Lucy Foster Madison. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Bee and Butterfly, A Tale of Two Cousins by Lucy Foster Madison. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Chapter) # of Bee and Butterfly, A Tale of Two Cousins by Lucy Foster Madison. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Chapter Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of chapter #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Bee and Butterfly, A Tale of Two Cousins by Lucy Foster Madison."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: beeandbutterfly_##_madison_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. beeandbutterfly_01_madison_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: knotyouraveragejo

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Some people think holding on is tough; sometimes it's letting go.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi Nammy. I can MC this for you. Since this will be your first project as soloist/book coordinator(BC), you will need to set up a password for access to the workflow system so you can enter the information into the section compiler which then appears in the "Magic Window" in the top post. 

Here are some links to detailed instructions for logging into the system and setting a password the first time, as well as for entering and editing information in the section compiler. 

First Time Logging in to the Workflow

Instructions for BCs and DPLs

A version of the above is also in the LibriVox wiki in case you can't access Google Docs for some reason.

BCs - How to Update the Magic Window

I've entered the first three titles for you as an example.

If you have any questions, let me know. I'll leave this thread here in the Launch Pad for a day or so longer before I move it to the Going Solo forum, to see if a DPL (Dedicated Prooflistener) volunteers. Looking forward to working with you.

A couple notes for future reference. When filling in the template, only the book title should go in the title field. The software will automatically add the author to the generated text for the post.
Also please don't enter titles in all caps. We will need some keywords, which you can supply after recording the book. Also please note that I have shortened both the title and the author name in the file names.
Jo
Nammy

Post by Nammy »

Thank you for all your help with this project. It was quite interesting to see how this all comes about. I think is a great experience for me to see what goes on behind the scenes and how much work actually goes into a project!

I think I have it pretty well figured out, but don't wander off in case I need you! :lol:

Carol/Nammy
Nammy

Post by Nammy »

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/beeandbutterfly_00_madison_128kb.mp3

Time -- 02:12

This is my first file which is the forward. I have never read a "forward" before, so I wasn't exactly sure what to say. I did it as I would a Chapter only switching the name from Chapter No. to "Forward" which is Section 0. I'm not sure that is how you do it, but it's no big deal if I have to do it over since it's short.

It's just another opportunity for me to learn how to do something new to me! Don't hesitate to give me criticism since this work has my name written all over it! :lol:

Thank you,
Carol/Nammy
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Carol, Forward is fine. Please add the link and file length to the MW and change the status to Ready for PL. As soloist, you are also your own BC, so it is your responsibility to update the MW when you upload a file.
Jo
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

Since my recording opportunities are limited until September, I can use that time to DPL. If you are willing to let me do it I'm game.

M
Nammy

Post by Nammy »

That would be great! Thank you so very much!

Carol/Nammy
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

M added as DPL. :)
Jo
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

The forward is nicely read. The only fix is to delete the extra 5 seconds at the end including the extra "end of forward" at the end.

M
Nammy

Post by Nammy »

Nammy

Post by Nammy »

M,

Should I leave off the 5 seconds at the end of every chapter including the last one? I'm guessing that because they will all be spliced together as one that it isn't necessary. Also, at the end, should I say, "End of Chapter ##"? I realize now that different types of readings require different beginnings and endings.

If that is in the instructions somewhere, I have not seen it. I always go by what is on the MW instructions. There are a ton on instructions that are extremely helpful! I hate bothering people with questions when I can read for myself. :roll:

Chapter 1 is almost complete except for the last editing and the ending questions. I'll upload it when I hear back from you. Meanwhile, I can always start the next chapter, so it won't hold me up.

Thanks for guiding me so I'm making a complete fool of myself! I hope someday I can pay all the help forward to some other newbie! I really appreciate how kind and patient everyone is! :clap:

Carol/Nammy
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Hi Carol. There should be 5 seconds at end of every chapter/section. The book will be published as chapters in the catalog the same as if it were a group project. We do not combine/splice the sections into a single file.

You should read the intro and outro exactly as written in the template for each file and include the 5 sec of silence after the outro. The only difference with a solo is the option to use the shortened intro after the first chapter/section. The outro stays the same for every chapter as does the starting and ending silences.
Jo
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

My apologizes for being confusing. But the original file you uploaded had 10 seconds of silence at the end and had the extra "end of forward" towards the end of the silence. Since there 10 seconds, I was asking for the extra 5 seconds to be deleted.

So now 5 seconds will need to be added to the end. :)

Again, sorry for the confusion.

M
Nammy

Post by Nammy »

That's not a problem. I can confuse anyone! :lol: I didn't hear an "extra" at the end so I deleted the five seconds. I'm not sure what happened, but it doesn't matter. We'll get 'er done!

Thanks,
Carol/Nammy
Nammy

Post by Nammy »

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/beeandbutterfly_00_madison_128kb.mp3

Time -- 02:12 (Final Edit)

This should be good to go!

Carol/Nammy