[COMPLETE] Lectures on Butler's Analogy, by Thomas Chalmers - kaz

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Lectures on Butler's Analogy, by Thomas Chalmers (1780 - 1847)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/lectures-on-butlers-analogy-by-thomas-chalmers/
Thomas Chalmers had read, when a young man, several infidel productions. Their semblance of logic and learning, and supercilious confidence of style, disposed him to regard all religion as mere superstition. His mind was poisoned. Accustomed as he had been to the positive and precise reasonings of mathematics, he could not find similar proofs for Christianity. But he was induced, by some friends, to study Butler’s Analogy. This, as he expresses it, took Christianity “out of the class of unlikelihoods.” It brought him to the investigation, as if the evidence was neither plus nor minus. He examined the evidences as he would have done a declaration that Cicero weighed just one hundred and fifty pounds; open to the smallest proof or presumption on the positive side of the question. Delivered from prejudice, not only against Christianity but against its proofs, he soon saw the madness of deism, and immovably accepted the word of God, though he did not, at that time, feel its transforming power on his own heart. Long afterwards he writes, “I cannot render sufficient homage to the argument, which first, addressing itself to the subject-matter of Christianity, relieves it of all disproof, and pronounces it worthy of a trial; and then, addressing itself to the evidence of Christianity, relieves it of all objections, and makes good, to that evidence, all the entireness and efficiency which natively belong to it.” Years afterwards he said, “Butler made me a Christian.” That it did far more for him than to effect his change of sentiment, that it continued to be a light in his firmament, is touchingly told in the Preface of his Bridgewater Treatise, where he says, “I have derived greater aid from the views and reasonings of Butler, than I have been able to find, besides, in the whole range of our extant authorship.” (Summary by Howard Malcom)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/posthumouswork09chal/page/n60/mode/1up

Target completion date: 2022-07-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Lectures on Butler's Analogy. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Lectures on Butler's Analogy, by Thomas Chalmers. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Lectures on Butler's Analogy, by Thomas Chalmers. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Lectures on Butler's Analogy, by Thomas Chalmers."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: lecturesbutlersanalogy_##_chalmers_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. lecturesbutlersanalogy_01_chalmers_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Kazbek

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by InTheDesert on July 4th, 2022, 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 97% 1 left! "The Penitent Sinner Part 2"
St. Augustine (Vol.6 Psalms 126-150) 94% 3 left!
PL pls: DPL 43 27-28
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

I thought I should add these since I'm doing the Analogy as a solo at the moment.

The summary is from https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/53346
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 97% 1 left! "The Penitent Sinner Part 2"
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

I'll be glad to set this up for you. The MW is up.

Michael
GillH

Post by GillH »

I can DPL, if you like.
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

GillH wrote: July 4th, 2022, 3:51 am I can DPL, if you like.
Sure!
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Great! Moving to Going Solo.
GillH

Post by GillH »

PL for Section 1:
16:54 “from” said for “of” in “removal therefrom of its negative quantities” (line 9, p59)
Sorry that its such a small thing but I don't think it makes sense with "from".

There's also at 3:53 “accounting” said for “amounting ( to million and millions more…)” 2 lines from bottom of p52), but that could be left as is.

It's quite a task to read 'philosophy' and make it sound 'conversational'!
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

GillH wrote: July 6th, 2022, 5:07 pm PL for Section 1:
16:54 “from” said for “of” in “removal therefrom of its negative quantities”

3:53 “accounting” said for “amounting ( to million and millions more…)”
The book he's lecturing on (which I'm also reading) is some of the worst prose I have ever read. Chalmers is easy in comparison!

Spot checks with new timings
03:52 “from” said for “of” in “removal therefrom of its negative quantities”
16:54 “accounting” said for “amounting ( to million and millions more…)”
GillH

Post by GillH »

Perfect editing! Section 1 PL OK!
GillH

Post by GillH »

Section 2 PL OK!
(There is a 'double D' on "specified" in "for there are kinds of wood which might be specified," (c 2/3 down p63, at 7:09), if you want to be picky.
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

GillH wrote: July 7th, 2022, 2:25 am Section 2 PL OK!
(There is a 'double D' on "specified" in "for there are kinds of wood which might be specified," (c 2/3 down p63, at 7:09), if you want to be picky.
Good catch. Ready for Spot PL.

The remaining sections are there!
GillH

Post by GillH »

Sections 2,3 4 PL OK!
GillH

Post by GillH »

Section 5 PL:
3:36-3:38 repeat of "of enjoyment"
GillH

Post by GillH »

Section 6 PL OK!
Section 7 Marked PL OK although there's a swallow at 11:06, if you want to delete that.
(I have to admit I got lost in this one - need to revise "Necessity".)

Section 8 PL OK!
GillH

Post by GillH »

PL for Section 9
12:06 "misrepresented" said for "misinterpreted" in last paragraph: " were liable to be either misinterpreted or set aside, "