COMPLETE [Esperanto] Karlo by Edmond Privat - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
JDZ3R0

Post by JDZ3R0 »

Karlo, by Edmond Privat (1889 - 1962)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/karlo-by-edmond-privat/

Volunteers outside the USA: Edmond Privat died in 1962. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 50 years; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
La "Librairie de l' Esperanto" en Parizo petis min, ke mi verku facilan legolibron por la lernantoj de kursoj aŭ la komencantoj, kiuj ĵus finis sian lernadon en lernolibro. Mi intencis prezenti dudek tekstojn aranĝitajn tiamaniere, ke en ĉiu estos multaj vortoj pri sama temo de l' ĉiutaga vivo. Por pli bone konservi la intereson de la lernanto en dudek ĉapitroj, mi verkis unu rakonton pri la vivo de junulo, de lia infaneco, ĝis lia edziĝo.

Kompreneble nek romano, nek eĉ sprita novelo estas la rakonto, sed nur aro de dudek ĉapitroj pri ĉiutaga vivo, ligitaj inter si per ĝenerala senco kaj unueco de persono. Tamen ion pli ol lernoĉapitrojn eble trovos en tiu ĉi libro tiuj plenaĝaj personoj, por kiuj ekzistas ia poezia ĉarmo en rememoroj pri infaneco kaj juneco eĉ el plej simplaj okazintaĵoj de l' ĉiutaga vivo.

(Summary by Edmond Privat)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/24525

Target completion date:

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
[*]Project Code: uHPUMLGm
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmond_Privat (Edmond Privat)
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://eo.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karlo_(legolibro)
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 21
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: Yes
[*]Original publication date (if known): 1909
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? J. D. Zero
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
[/list]

Genres for the project: General Fiction/Published 1900 onward

Keywords that describe the book:

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Start of recording:
Ĉapitro [#] de Karlo. Tio ĉi estas Librivoksa songistraĵo. Ĉiuj LibriVoksaj sonregistraĵoj estas publik-havaĵaj. Por pliaj informoj, aŭ por volontuli, bonvolu viziti: librivox PUNKTO org. Karlo, de Edmond Privat. Ĉapitro [#].
End of recording:
Fino de Ĉapitro [#]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
Fino de Karlo, de Edmond Privat."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: karlo_##_privat_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. karlo_01_privat_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: icequeen

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by JDZ3R0 on July 22nd, 2022, 7:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Welcome!

Please, PLEASE, before embarking on a solo, do two things:

(1) We do STRONGLY encourage a one-minute test (LINK) to check your technical settings. It's not an audition, but to make sure you're exporting at the correct bit rate, have your recording in mono, etc. It would be a shame to record a whole section, only to have to scrap it and redo it because of some simple setting that is incorrect.

(2) Claim, record, and get OK'd at least one section in a group project. This is to make sure you know what you're getting into. Recording a whole book isn't as easy as it seems. It isn't simply sitting down and recording. There's editing to do - and that often can take up to 5 times as long as recording does. In my experience, a ballpark estimate of 95% of brand new readers who start with a solo end up quitting before finishing. Please test the waters first before jumping in. :) Not only that, you're basically alone in a solo: you are the coordinator, and unless you have a very friendly DPL, you won't get much encouragement while doing your solo.

(Would you be willing to read the last 3 chapters in this project? viewtopic.php?f=60&t=57184 It has been over 6 years since anything has been done with it, and we're looking for readers to finish off the project.)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
JDZ3R0

Post by JDZ3R0 »

TriciaG wrote: June 28th, 2022, 9:09 am Welcome!

Please, PLEASE, before embarking on a solo, do two things:

(1) We do STRONGLY encourage a one-minute test (LINK) to check your technical settings. It's not an audition, but to make sure you're exporting at the correct bit rate, have your recording in mono, etc. It would be a shame to record a whole section, only to have to scrap it and redo it because of some simple setting that is incorrect.

(2) Claim, record, and get OK'd at least one section in a group project. This is to make sure you know what you're getting into. Recording a whole book isn't as easy as it seems. It isn't simply sitting down and recording. There's editing to do - and that often can take up to 5 times as long as recording does. In my experience, a ballpark estimate of 95% of brand new readers who start with a solo end up quitting before finishing. Please test the waters first before jumping in. :) Not only that, you're basically alone in a solo: you are the coordinator, and unless you have a very friendly DPL, you won't get much encouragement while doing your solo.

(Would you be willing to read the last 3 chapters in this project? viewtopic.php?f=60&t=57184 It has been over 6 years since anything has been done with it, and we're looking for readers to finish off the project.)
Thank you, I've recorded and uploaded a one-minute test.

Yes, I can definitely take a look at finishing the last three chapters of the other Privat book once I'm set to record.
vviera

Post by vviera »

Bonvenon :D

I will volunteer to be DPL (dedicated proof listener). I also have done the BC (book coordinator) role several times, so I can answer questions of that type as you learn.

I am glad that you are going to start with the Vivo de Zamenhof chapters, as suggested by Tricia. None of it is particularly hard, but there are a large number of details and procedures to get familiar with, both in doing your own recording/editing and in managing a project as BC (which you'll do as a soloist).

Note that in the Vivo de Zamenhof initial information post, there are the intro and outro in Esperanto. You will be able to customize those for your solo.

If you haven't already, read through the librivox wiki, and that will get you started:
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

Demandojn?

Verla
I'll be away April 16-22.
Voy a estar fuera el 16-22 de abril.

Cheers, VERLA
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

I can MC this one for you! I can't set the MW up right at this very second, I will do it as soon as I can. Probably in about an hour. Then I will have some homework for our new soloist.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

OK, I'm back, and your Magic Window is up! But, a few things need to be done first, before you start recording this solo project. Just so that you know, there is no hurry to get this project done. I will not push for it to be done, and I really don't want you to push yourself too hard either. We are all volunteers, and my goal with new soloists is to set you up for success. I want you to be completely comfortable with the whole process, because it can be overwhelming, especially at the beginning. We have a wonderful DPL in Verla to help you along as well. We both will guide you so that you don't get frustrated with all the little things that you need to remember.

Firstly, Thank you Verla! You have access to the MW!

Next, since you are so new, you were not in the readers database. What name would you like credited on your catalog page? It can be your forum name, your real name, or a pseudonym. Let me know so that we can have you credited correctly.

As suggested by Tricia, I really, really want you to read the three sections of that Esperanto project that needs to be finished up. This will give you a taste of what the recording process involves, before you are on your own.

Once you have done that (no hurry!), then we can start talking about accessing the workflow system, which powers the Magic Window (MW). It really is not difficult, but we need to make sure that you can get into it without any problems. But, we can talk about that a little later.

And, lastly, welcome to LibriVox!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
JDZ3R0

Post by JDZ3R0 »

icequeen wrote: June 29th, 2022, 3:49 pm Next, since you are so new, you were not in the readers database. What name would you like credited on your catalog page? It can be your forum name, your real name, or a pseudonym. Let me know so that we can have you credited correctly.

As suggested by Tricia, I really, really want you to read the three sections of that Esperanto project that needs to be finished up. This will give you a taste of what the recording process involves, before you are on your own.
You can set the credit on the catalog page to "J. D. Zero".

I've uploaded a recording of the 10th chapter of "Vivo De Zamenhof", I'll wait for some feedback on that recording before moving ahead and recording anything else.

Thanks for all your help! :)
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

JDZ3R0 wrote: June 29th, 2022, 5:06 pm
icequeen wrote: June 29th, 2022, 3:49 pm Next, since you are so new, you were not in the readers database. What name would you like credited on your catalog page? It can be your forum name, your real name, or a pseudonym. Let me know so that we can have you credited correctly.

You can set the credit on the catalog page to "J. D. Zero".

I've uploaded a recording of the 10th chapter of "Vivo De Zamenhof", I'll wait for some feedback on that recording before moving ahead and recording anything else.

Thanks for all your help! :)
Excellent! You're making great progress!

Here is your catalog page! https://librivox.org/reader/17615
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
vviera

Post by vviera »

Just an update on how well this is going. Ch. 10 and 11 have already been PL OK'd. Ch. 10 had only a couple of PL Notes, and Ch. 11 had none. Both passed Checker first time. I'm sure that with some coaching, J.D. won't have any trouble taking this forward. (Yay! Thanks J.D. :D )

Cheers, VERLA
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Perfect! That is wonderful news, and I think that we can move forward to the next step! Thanks Verla!

Here is your homework, J.D.! Please follow the instructions in this document. You will need to access the workflow system, which powers the MW. Since you are the soloist, you are in charge of your MW. You are the one who gets to fill in the section names, and to copy and paste your links into the correct spots. Please let me know right away if you have any problems at all, I can generally solve all problems very quickly. And, to solve one problem before it happens, make sure you are logged out of the uploader. The uploader password is not the same for the MW, and that is normally what hangs people up.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
JDZ3R0

Post by JDZ3R0 »

Great, thanks for sending this.

I've read through it and it seems pretty straightforward. I'll set myself up once I finish recording the last chapter of the "Vivo de Zamenhof" project (hopefully tomorrow!)
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

JDZ3R0 wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 7:55 pm Great, thanks for sending this.

I've read through it and it seems pretty straightforward. I'll set myself up once I finish recording the last chapter of the "Vivo de Zamenhof" project (hopefully tomorrow!)
Yes, the workflow is easy to work with, very straightforward. :D
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
vviera

Post by vviera »

The MW looks good; I'm excited to start working on it with you!
V

Cheers, VERLA
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Perfect! We are off to Going Solo!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
JDZ3R0

Post by JDZ3R0 »

Here we go! :D

Antaŭparolo de l'verkisto - (2:42)
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/karlo_00_privat_128kb.mp3

La familio - (5:52)
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/karlo_01_privat_128kb.mp3

icequeen, I labelled the files incorrectly on my first upload not realizing that the sections are zero indexed! These are the links with the correct file names which I will put into the MW.

Verla, my only note I have is that I read "Unua demando" instead of just "Unu" and so on for the section with the questions at the end. I thought this would make it clearer to the listener since there isn't a header to denote that the main text is over and the question section has begun. Hope this works OK, let me know what you think.