[COMPLETE] Representative Men by Ralph Waldo Emerson - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I had a project unexpectedly wrap up today, so I'll MC this.

It should be all set. When you've got the MW filled in, I'll move it to Readers...Found?
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

And here is Section 1 (one.) I had to correct a pronunciation.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/representativemen_01_emerson_128kb.mp3 (24:56)
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

TriciaG wrote: June 27th, 2022, 5:27 pm I had a project unexpectedly wrap up today, so I'll MC this.

It should be all set. When you've got the MW filled in, I'll move it to Readers...Found?
DOUBLE YAAAAY!!
Thank you Tricia!
I just got back from a jazz concert and I am, therefore, a bit jazzed-up so I'll do the MW tomorrow morning.

This project I think was blessed in heaven. Everything has fallen into place.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

KevinS wrote: June 27th, 2022, 6:19 pm And here is Section 1 (one.) I had to correct a pronunciation.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/representativemen_01_emerson_128kb.mp3 (24:56)
Thank you very much for these first two sections!

When we were exchanging PMs, you mentioned that you were not set on fire by Mr. Emerson. You didn't elaborate whether you were referring to his poety or his prose essays or both. Well, having just finished my Home PLing of Plato Section 03, I am much more impressed with his ideas than when I first read him in my high school years. Double handfuls of very astute observations were so very pleasant to see from the vantage point of old age. My wife, Flora Metrick, is reading the Shakespeare sections. Her comments are just delightful to my ears. She was/is a musician and spent no time beyond Philosophy 101 at I.U. To her this is all new and different. Maybe even exciting.

I hope all of you manning the oars in this project find the same moments of enlightenment that I'm finding. Wheeeeee!
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

If I ever read Emerson's poetry, I have forgotten it. I read some/a few of his essays and I always wished he would come to the point, despite having interesting, even fascinating, things to say. As I think I already shared, I stand with Thoreau as the artist and observer. Perhaps there is room in my affections for both figures, but I feel that Emerson lectured while Thoreau shared.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Magic Window initially loaded as of 8am EST Tuesday.
I am having trouble with the LV name of the reader for sections 09 and 10. I'm sure that will be resolved today.
please take a look at the MW contents and let me know if you see any inconsistencies.

Thanks!

-- Bill
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Moved to Readers Found. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Uploaded Section 03 - Plato part 1

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/Representativemen_03_emerson_128kb.mp3 43:17

Lots of thought-provoking, interesting desiderata in this first part of chapter 2.
One thing: Plato apparently went to Italy a couple of times. Some say for 3 years, others say for 13 years. WHY?
Some say he went further eastward, into Babylonia where he was introduced to eastern religions... including the Indian vedas.
One acute observation: if a man (or woman) was head and shoulders above his contemporaries, they would mimic, copy and plagiarize from from him until later generations would have a problem determining which works were his, and which were "of his school".
There are many more such insights dropped from Emerson's pen.

Whichever of you other readers volunteers to PL this section, and section 04 when I drop it tomorrow, will find a lot to enjoy.

-- Bill
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Section 01 - Uses of Great Men Part 1 -- PL OK.

You've broken the ice, Kevin.
As they would say in Australia "Good on ya mate!"
Last edited by williamjones on June 29th, 2022, 4:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
Owlivia

Post by Owlivia »

Section 5 Swedenborg, part 1
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/representativemen_05_emerson_128kb.mp3

35:42.04

Not my finest (half) hour I'm afraid; I sound like someone who's fighting allergies (not surprisingly).

Part 2 will NOT arrive as quickly, as friends are coming to stay which will limit my recording time. It will definitely be delivered much before the 2 month time frame. (I know what an impatient coot you are. :wink: :wink: :lol: )

Owlivia/Deborah
Owlivia/Deborah

🦉
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Owlivia wrote: June 28th, 2022, 7:58 pm Section 5 Swedenborg, part 1

Not my finest (half) hour I'm afraid; I sound like someone who's fighting allergies (not surprisingly).

Part 2 will NOT arrive as quickly, as friends are coming to stay which will limit my recording time. It will definitely be delivered much before the 2 month time frame. (I know what an impatient coot you are. :wink: :wink: :lol: )

Owlivia/Deborah
Coot? COOT? COOT? You say? At least you didn't insert the word "old" before that word!
Thanks, Deborah. I'll be delighted to get part 2 whenever it comes.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

KevinS wrote: June 27th, 2022, 5:44 pm Section 2 (two)

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/representativemen_02_emerson_128kb.mp3 (22:16)
I can scarcely believe it: Kevin, you made an Ooopsie. You're human like the rest of us.

PL notes
9:13 sentence omitted:
We keep each other in countenance, and exasperate by emulation the frenzy of the time.

15:28 to 15:32: sine-wave sound

17:13.5 text omitted AFTER "All men are at last of a size;"
"and true art is only possible, on the conviction that every talent has its apotheosis"

18:31 ordinarily I don't mention odd pronunciations, but at this point, you pronounce "mnemonical" in a way that i think loses the inherent sense of the word. These words that begin in "MN" should be pronounced as tho the "M" weren't there at all. Thus the text word should be pronounced "Knee-MAWN-ical". Of course it's up to you whether to make this change.

Your file's volume comes in at 91.8. should adjusted by -3.0
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Owlivia wrote: June 28th, 2022, 7:58 pm Section 5 Swedenborg, part 1

Owlivia/Deborah
Another proof that each of us is our own harshest critic: your voice is very, very fine, calm and assertive.

Here are some notes/comments but I am marking this excellent effort as PL OK.

29:45 to end: sudden decrease in volume (-1.3,, almost trivial) and texture of your voice.
You want to change? It's up to you. Just do it and upload it if you change it. No need to announce it in the project Forum.

Your consistent announcing of Quotes and End Quotes are not bad. but, they are mostly superfluous insofaras most of the sources of the quotes are not explicitly given.

Your rendition was very pleasant and entertaining. Thanks! :clap:
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

williamjones wrote: June 29th, 2022, 5:03 am [These words that begin in "MN" should be pronounced as tho the "M" weren't there at all.
That's a rule? I'll never remember that.