[COMPLETE] On The Predestination Of The Saints, by Saint Augustine of Hippo - kaz

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
dronald

Post by dronald »

On The Predestination Of The Saints, by Saint Augustine of Hippo (354 - 430), translated by Robert Ernest Wallis (1820 - 1910)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/on-the-predestination-of-the-saints-by-augustine/
Wherein the truth of predestination and grace is defended against the semi-Pelagians — those people to wit, who by no means withdraw altogether from the Pelagian heresy, in that they contend that the beginning of salvation and of faith is of ourselves; so that in virtue, as it were, of this precedent merit, the other good gifts of God are attained. Augustine shows that not only the increase, but the very beginning also of faith is in God's gift. On this matter he does not disavow that he once thought differently, and that in some small works, written before his episcopate, he was in error, as in that exposition, which they object to him, of propositions from the epistle to the Romans. But he points out that he was subsequently convinced chiefly by this testimony, "but what have you that you have not received?" which he proves is to be taken as a testimony concerning faith itself also. He says that faith is to be counted among other works, which the apostle denies to anticipate God's grace when He says, "not of works." He declares that the hardness of the heart is taken away by grace, and that all come to Christ who are taught to come by the Father; but that those whom He teaches, He teaches in mercy, while those whom He teaches not, in judgment He teaches not. (Summary by Phillip Schaff)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/selectlibraryofn05auguuoft/page/498/mode/1up?view=theater

Target completion date: 2022-06-23

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of On The Predestination Of The Saints. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "On The Predestination Of The Saints, by Saint Augustine of Hippo, translated by Robert Ernest Wallis. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of On The Predestination Of The Saints, by Saint Augustine of Hippo, translated by Robert Ernest Wallis. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of On The Predestination Of The Saints, by Saint Augustine of Hippo, translated by Robert Ernest Wallis."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: predestinationofsaints_##_augustine_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. predestinationofsaints_01_augustine_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Kazbek

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

If you don't have a DPL, I'm happy to.
dronald

Post by dronald »

InTheDesert wrote: May 22nd, 2022, 9:29 pm If you don't have a DPL, I'm happy to.
I don't. Thanks so much!
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

I'll be glad to set this up for you. I've shortened the filename and the MW is up. Moving the project to Going Solo.

Michael
dronald

Post by dronald »

Section 1 is now ready for PL!

When reading Calvin's works, I wondered if he was selectively picking and choosing quotes from Augustine. Nope. You would think this book was written by Calvin himself.

This has been great.
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

dronald wrote: May 25th, 2022, 8:26 am Section 1 is now ready for PL!

When reading Calvin's works, I wondered if he was selectively picking and choosing quotes from Augustine. Nope. You would think this book was written by Calvin himself.

This has been great.
And section 1 is PL OK. I thought there were some repeats but it turns out it was just the translation (Augustine's 19th century translators have little sympathy for their readers).

"Augustine is wholly ours" said Calvin.
dronald

Post by dronald »

InTheDesert wrote: May 26th, 2022, 6:52 am
dronald wrote: May 25th, 2022, 8:26 am Section 1 is now ready for PL!

This has been great.
And section 1 is PL OK. I thought there were some repeats but it turns out it was just the translation (Augustine's 19th century translators have little sympathy for their readers).

"Augustine is wholly ours" said Calvin.
Thanks!

Section 2 is ready for PL.
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

dronald wrote: June 8th, 2022, 9:51 pm Section 2 is ready for PL.
Section 2 PL Notes:
  • 57:04 Missing "End of section 2" in outro

I always enjoy listening to Augustine.
dronald

Post by dronald »

InTheDesert wrote: June 10th, 2022, 7:40 am
dronald wrote: June 8th, 2022, 9:51 pm Section 2 is ready for PL.
Section 2 PL Notes:
  • 57:04 Missing "End of section 2" in outro

I always enjoy listening to Augustine.
Thanks! Spot Check is up.

I likely will be launching the biography of Augustine soon!
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

dronald wrote: June 10th, 2022, 11:35 am Thanks! Spot Check is up.

I likely will be launching the biography of Augustine soon!
PL OK! If you need a DPL...

I'm going to do On The Trinity once Calvin is finished.
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/on-the-predestination-of-the-saints-by-augustine/

Congratulations! :clap:

Michael
dronald

Post by dronald »

Thanks everyone!

And ITD that sounds great. It's wonderful that we have the same interests.