[Complete] Pagan & Christian Creeds, by Edward Carpenter - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
vviera

Post by vviera »

Pagan & Christian Creeds: Their Origin and Meaning, by Edward Carpenter (1844 - 1929)

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/pagan-christian-creeds-their-origin-and-meaning-by-edward-carpenter/

In this work from 1921, Carpenter analyzes the origin of Christian beliefs, arguing that they are derived from pre-Christian myths and religions, rather than being new revelations to the human race. He believes that “psychologically man has evolved from simple consciousness to self-consciousness, and is now in process of evolution towards another and more extended kind of consciousness,” anticipating a post-Christian era. In the penultimate chapter, “The Exodus of Christianity,” he sets out his belief that for Christianity “to hold the field of Religion in the Western World is neither probable nor desirable.” Chapters such as “Solar Myths and Christian Festivals,” “Rites of Expiation and Redemption,” and “The Saviour-God and the Virgin-Mother” analyze his tenet as seen in different contexts. (Summary by Verla Viera)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://gutenberg.org/ebooks/1561
NOTE: If there are missing lines or incomplete sentences in your Gutenburg text, you may cross reference this other acceptable source:
https://archive.org/details/paganchristiancr00carp/mode/2up

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. Post your file in the 1-minute test forum so someone can check the specs. After you’re approved there, you may claim a section by posting in this forum and requesting it by number.

When you post your first claim, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog. It can be your user name, your real name, or a pseudonym you select.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Carpenter (Edward Carpenter)
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 34
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: Yes
[*]Original publication date (if known): 1921
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
[/list]
========================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction; *Non-fiction/Philosophy/Modern; *Non-fiction/Philosophy/Early Modern; *Non-fiction/Religion/Christianity - Other; *Non-fiction/Religion/Other religions

Keywords that describe the book: comparative religion, hero's journey, comparative mythology, joseph campbell, jesus myth

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Footnotes:
Optional. Read substantive footnotes only, at your discretion.

Say:
"Chapter #, Part # of Pagan & Christian Creeds: Their Origin and Meaning. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Pagan & Christian Creeds: Their Origin and Meaning, by Edward Carpenter. Chapter Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of chapter#, Part #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Pagan & Christian Creeds: Their Origin and Meaning, by Edward Carpenter."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: paganandchristiancreeds_##_carpenter_128kb where ## is the section number. (e.g. paganandchristiancreeds_01_carpenter_128kb)

When this file is exported to mp3, your program will automatically add the .mp3 to the file name.

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: lynnet

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by vviera on June 28th, 2022, 4:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Waiting for a clever signature line to occur to me.

Cheers, VERLA
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Setting this up for you.

All set.
I strongly recommend shortening the file name... paganandchristiancreeds would work.
vviera

Post by vviera »

Lynnet wrote: May 19th, 2022, 11:45 am Setting this up for you.

All set.
I strongly recommend shortening the file name... paganandchristiancreeds would work.
Thanks, that was quick!

Thanks, too, for spotting the file name. What a nightmare.

I realized that I shouldn't have asked for a section zero. "Introductory" is actually numbered as Chapter I in the text. Can you kill that 00, and I'll redo everything else.

Cheers, VERLA
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

vviera wrote: May 19th, 2022, 12:37 pm

All set.
Thanks, that was quick!

Thanks, too, for spotting the file name. What a nightmare.

I realized that I shouldn't have asked for a section zero. "Introductory" is actually numbered as Chapter I in the text. Can you kill that 00, and I'll redo everything else.
Done
vviera

Post by vviera »

All set.
Hi Lynne--I realized I need a section 34 to make up for that 00 I got rid of.

Getting there - I still want to review the text to see if I need additional notes about foreign languages.

Thanks!

Cheers, VERLA
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

You can add sections by hitting the “add section “ button 8-) It will be added at the bottom, but you can drag it to where you want it… and everything gets renumbered if needed.
vviera

Post by vviera »

Lynnet wrote: May 19th, 2022, 8:09 pm You can add sections by hitting the “add section “ button 8-)
Oh, is that what it's for? :lol:
Will do.

Cheers, VERLA
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

May I read section 17 (Chapter 10), please?

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
vviera

Post by vviera »

Peter Why wrote: May 19th, 2022, 11:17 pm May I read section 17 (Chapter 10), please?

Peter
Assigned - thanks for coming aboard!
Verla

Cheers, VERLA
vviera

Post by vviera »

vviera wrote: May 19th, 2022, 8:53 pm
Lynnet wrote: May 19th, 2022, 8:09 pm You can add sections by hitting the “add section “ button 8-)
Oh, is that what it's for? :lol:
Will do.
Done, thanks again. This was refreshing. Usually it falls to TriciaG to tell me when I'm missing something obvious :wink:

Everything I want is now in notes, so it's ready to go. Let's leave in Launch Pad over the weekend to see if we can pick up a DPL.

Cheers, VERLA
czandra

Post by czandra »

Hey! I'm going to jump in too and grab 8, 9; 27, 28; and the 3 final sections (32 -34) on the Upanishads, please! This will complement the Helena Blavatsky book currently being recorded very nicely, Verla! Thanks.

Czandra
I asked my librarian about the noise, and she said, "no one would come here
if they weren't allowed to talk out loud." So I read out loud.

Je lis à haute voix car refléchir fait trop de bruit!
vviera

Post by vviera »

czandra wrote: May 21st, 2022, 6:29 am Hey! I'm going to jump in too and grab 8, 9; 27, 28; and the 3 final sections (32 -34) on the Upanishads, please! This will complement the Helena Blavatsky book currently being recorded very nicely, Verla! Thanks.

Czandra
Wow, that's great, Czandra. I put you down for the three Appendix sections. Would you be kind enough to look at the notes and see if you'd be willing to do some of the French instead of those other four? Whatever you decide, obviously. Just thought I'd ask. Please turn in sections one or two at a time if you can. I'll be PLing unless someone else shows up, and that would be really helpful. Let me know. Verla

Cheers, VERLA
czandra

Post by czandra »

I'm doing s. 3 now.

Cz

czandra

Post by czandra »

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/paganandchristiancreeds_03_carpenter_128kb.mp3
15:52

I'm pretty sure [gr a] should be "Alpha", beta, greek letters.... Please confirm and I'll change that with whatever other corrections. What is [gr g]?

Cz

Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Here's section 17 (Chapter 10):

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/paganandchristiancreeds_17_carpenter_128kb.mp3
(20.50)

I'm away for a few days, so won't be able to make any corrections until next weekend.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger