[PHILOSOPHY] Of the Shortness of Life by Lucius Annaeus Seneca - availle

Post ALL new projects here (solos, books, short works/poetry collections, drama -- in any language.) Please read the stickies first
WPennock

Post by WPennock » May 1st, 2022, 1:27 pm

Of the Shortness of Life, by Lucius Annaeus Seneca (4 BCE - 65), translated by Aubrey Stewart (1844 - 1918)
Seneca the Younger wrote the moral essay "De Brevitate Vitae" — "On the Shortness of Life" — to his friend Paulinus. The philosopher brings up many Stoic principles on the nature of time, namely that men waste much of it in meaningless pursuits. According to the essay, nature gives man enough time to do what is really important and the individual must allot it properly. (Summary by Wikipedia)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.archive.org/stream/minordialoguesto00seneuoft#page/288/mode/2up

Target completion date: 2022-07-01

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
Genres for the project: Classics (Greek & Latin Antiquity); *Non-fiction/Philosophy
Keywords that describe the book: rome, life, Roman, time, virtue, wisdom, stoic, Seneca, stocism, vitae, brevitate, mortality, mortal
=======================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section # of Of the Shortness of Life. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Of the Shortness of Life, by Lucius Annaeus Seneca, translated by Aubrey Stewart. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section # of Of the Shortness of Life, by Lucius Annaeus Seneca, translated by Aubrey Stewart. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Of the Shortness of Life, by Lucius Annaeus Seneca, translated by Aubrey Stewart."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: shortnessoflife_##_seneca_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. oftheshortnessoflife_01_seneca_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Availle

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by WPennock on May 1st, 2022, 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » May 1st, 2022, 4:28 pm

Just so that you know, we already have a recording of this exact translation in our catalog.
Of course, you can read another version - choice of voice and all :) - but some people don't want to duplicate efforts.

Other than this, well done with the template! :thumbs:
If you choose to go through with this, you may want to think about another summary, as wikipedia entries are not public domain, and we link to them on the catalog pages anyway.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com

WPennock

Post by WPennock » May 1st, 2022, 5:01 pm

Thank you, Availle!

It is actually the original recording that has motivated me. I listened to it and loved it. The original reader put in a good effort over 10 years ago, but the low audio quality was very distracting, and most of the reviews I have seen of that recording include a complaint about the difficulty hearing and understanding the reading, including calls for a re-recording.

Regarding the summary, I used the one from the original recording. I searched for its source online, and it most closely matched the introductory paragraph on the Wikipedia page. I wasn't sure where to find a public domain summary (this is a small part of a much larger public domain book, so no specific preface for this selection), and I figured I could use the same as the original. How would you recommend I proceed?

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » May 1st, 2022, 5:06 pm

Okay, if you want to go through with it, I'll set this up for you.

As for the introduction, well, you'll read the book - I assume you'll have an original thought or two while doing so? ;-)
We don't need the intro rightaway, just remind me by the time we're ready to catalog.

Setting this up now...

Edit: All done, looks good!

Since you're jumping in the deep end with a solo, you are now also responsible to keep the MW up to date. Here's a how-to:
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window

Let me know if you have questions - I'll be around... I signed up as DPL for this, I've wanted to read this for a while now, so here's my incentive.

Have fun with your first solo! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

brownrottger

Post by brownrottger » May 2nd, 2022, 6:55 pm

I would like to DPL, if that is ok.
Christine

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » May 3rd, 2022, 7:30 pm

I'm sorry Christine, I'm doing double duty as MC/DPL for this one.

Next one perhaps?
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

brownrottger

Post by brownrottger » May 3rd, 2022, 7:49 pm

Availle wrote:
May 3rd, 2022, 7:30 pm
I'm sorry Christine, I'm doing double duty as MC/DPL for this one.

Next one perhaps?
Sure no problem ever!