COMPLETE - The Benson Murder Case by S. S. van Dine - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kirsten Wever

Post by Kirsten Wever »

The Benson Murder Case, by S. S. van Dine (1888 - 1939)

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/benson-murder-case-by-s-s-van-dine/
The Benson Murder Case – A Philo Vance Story is the first of a series of twelve popular mysteries set in New York during the Jazz Age. S. S. Van Dine is the nom de plume of prominent art critic, and member of New York’s avant-garde, W. H. Wright. He rapidly became one of the country’s best-selling authors and the series remained immensely popular for decades, as Philo Vance was featured in dozens of movies, plays and radio shows.

Van Dine’s novels marked a sharp departure from earlier detective fiction. To begin with, the hero represents the antithesis of the familiar hard-boiled detective. He is an eccentric and volatile loner; a highly erudite aesthete; a debonair bon vivant; a fop. Indeed, Van Dine even flirts with his hero’s sexuality where, for instance, a friend tells Vance: “I trust you won’t wear your green carnation,” – then the symbol of homosexuality. Moreover, Philo Vance approaches crime from a totally new standpoint, more or less ignoring the sorts of evidence and inference generally used to solve mysteries. His perspective is primarily psychological. Thus, he tells his friend Van: “The truth can be learned only by an analysis of the psychological factors of a crime, and an application of them to the individual. The only real clues are psychological—not material.” (The author casts himself in the role of the narrator, “Van,” Vance’s old college friend, now his lawyer, advisor and general agent.)

Within minutes of viewing the scene of the crime, Vance throws out veiled hints and innuendos that he knows who murdered Alvin Benson. D. A. John Markham good-humoredly ignores these intimations and soon finds there is enough evidence to make an arrest, when Vance convinces him that his suspect could not possibly be guilty. After developing a strong evidential case against someone else, Vance proves that this second suspect, too, must be innocent. And so it goes with several more suspects. In the end Vance identifies, and explains how his reasoning immediately pointed to, the actual murderer.

(Summary by Kirsten Wever)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.fadedpage.com/showbook.php?pid=20131113

Target completion date: 2022-03-20

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: Crime & Mystery Fiction; Crime & Mystery Fiction/Detective Fiction

Keywords that describe the book:

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Benson Murder Case. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Benson Murder Case, by S. S. van Dine. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Benson Murder Case, by S. S. van Dine. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Benson Murder Case, by S. S. van Dine."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: bensonmurdercase_##_vandine_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. bensonmurdercase_01_vandine_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: craigdav1

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by Kirsten Wever on February 6th, 2022, 4:14 pm, edited 5 times in total.
– Kirsten

A person who won't read* has no advantage over one who can't. – Twain

* or at least listen!
Kirsten Wever

Post by Kirsten Wever »

This project has an MC and a DPL
– Kirsten

* or at least listen!
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

MW coming up.

edit: Let me know if any changes are needed.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Checking in! And your projected start date via PM is noted. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Moving to Going Solo forum to keep the Launch Pad tidy.
Kirsten Wever

Post by Kirsten Wever »

Excellent -- and thanks.

QUERY1: Can I have a "Section 0" for introductory matter? (I’ve never done this, but often seen it done.)

QUERY 2: What to include ...

a. The book’s sub-title. This is The Benson Murder Case - A Philo Vance Story. Can I record the FIRST section intro with that full title, and following intros with just "Chapter xx of The Benson Murder Case, by SS van Dine ..."?

b. PUBLISHER’S NOTE. Right before the author's prefatory material there's a 2-paragraph Publisher's Note stating, "This is hot stuff, and the first of a series." Since it’s not by the author I'd leave it out, but the way it's presented - physically on the page - makes me wonder. Its format is identical with that of the remainder of the book; this note clearly marks the divide between what we normally call front matter and the book itself; finally, it’s immediately followed by the author's prefatory material (called INTRODUCTORY). If I’m not expressing this clearly, check it out here: https://www.fadedpage.com/books/20131113/html.php

c. CHARACTERS OF THE BOOK. Between the Table of Contents and Chapter 1 is a dramatis personae called Characters of the Book (there are 30). IMHO, de trop. However. ….. If I MUST, jes’ gimme a quick "Yes, dear, you MUST record it, but you'll feel better afterwards..."

d. “end of Footnote” -- Adding "end of footnote" seems to me unnecessary / intrusive because of how I’ve recorded the notes, using timing, amplitude and pitch to distinguish the notes from the main text. If there's a rule, tell me and I'll follow it. If not, I'll await the judicious discretion of my DPL.

8-)
– Kirsten

* or at least listen!
Kirsten Wever

Post by Kirsten Wever »

– Kirsten

* or at least listen!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Kirsten Wever wrote: January 27th, 2022, 12:12 pm Excellent -- and thanks.

QUERY1: Can I have a "Section 0" for introductory matter? (I’ve never done this, but often seen it done.)

QUERY 2: What to include ...

a. The book’s sub-title. This is The Benson Murder Case - A Philo Vance Story. Can I record the FIRST section intro with that full title, and following intros with just "Chapter xx of The Benson Murder Case, by SS van Dine ..."?

b. PUBLISHER’S NOTE. Right before the author's prefatory material there's a 2-paragraph Publisher's Note stating, "This is hot stuff, and the first of a series." Since it’s not by the author I'd leave it out, but the way it's presented - physically on the page - makes me wonder. Its format is identical with that of the remainder of the book; this note clearly marks the divide between what we normally call front matter and the book itself; finally, it’s immediately followed by the author's prefatory material (called INTRODUCTORY). If I’m not expressing this clearly, check it out here: https://www.fadedpage.com/books/20131113/html.php

c. CHARACTERS OF THE BOOK. Between the Table of Contents and Chapter 1 is a dramatis personae called Characters of the Book (there are 30). IMHO, de trop. However. ….. If I MUST, jes’ gimme a quick "Yes, dear, you MUST record it, but you'll feel better afterwards..."

d. “end of Footnote” -- Adding "end of footnote" seems to me unnecessary / intrusive because of how I’ve recorded the notes, using timing, amplitude and pitch to distinguish the notes from the main text. If there's a rule, tell me and I'll follow it. If not, I'll await the judicious discretion of my DPL.

8-)
1. Yes. Your MC can do it for you. But since I'm also with MC powers, I'll put it in for you. :)

2a. Yes, I think so. I'd also include the full title in the "end of book" message at the very end.

2b. Your choice. Like you say, it's not the author's material nor part of the body of the text. In fact, you can exclude the introductory matter if you like, also.

2c. Your choice. I'd probably drop it, too. ;)

2d. You may await the judicious discretion of your DPL. If your reading style makes it clear, then you don't have to say it outright.
Kirsten Wever

Post by Kirsten Wever »

Thanks! Will respond in a few. Meantime, Chapter 2.

(I knew you had MC powers -- I haven't googled you, but I DID LV you!)

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/bensonmurdercase_02_vandine.mp3
– Kirsten

* or at least listen!
Kirsten Wever

Post by Kirsten Wever »

Wow, Tricia ...

Even The questions I thought would be answered by a decided no ended up going my way!

K
– Kirsten

* or at least listen!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

1 and 2 are PL OK, but don't forget to add the section titles to the MW. :)

So, Van Dine is the name of the narrator. It reminds me of the Nicholas Carter books - the narrator there apparently is also the "author" (also a pseudonym).
Kirsten Wever

Post by Kirsten Wever »

oops!

:oops:

I accidentally uploaded my PL-in-process version of chapter 1, and was uploading the final version to replace it at the very moment you were letting me know they were PL ok... (which is nice!) ...

NB: The final version is different only in that the tempo is +10. Given that, let me know if it's okay for me to substitute the correct file.

Also, have I ever forgotten to add section titles?

:roll:

Another also: so that's it! Quel idoitte, moi! I've been trying and trying for 2 days to figure out what that "van" stands for.

k
– Kirsten

* or at least listen!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Oh, LOL! And I had thought that the recording was a nice pace. :lol:

I'll give it a very quick spot check to be sure it uploaded fully and all that.

And yeah, I suppose you know the drill about section titles. :oops:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Well, in Dutch, "van" is "of" - like "de" in Spanish and "von" in German. So "van Dyke" means "of the dike" and "van staalduinen" means "of the steel dunes". (I know someone with that surname!) Literally, Van Dine means "of dinner". LOL!

Excuse my pedantry. :roll:
Kirsten Wever

Post by Kirsten Wever »

Tricia,

Oh, you font of wisdom! But the "Van" I was trying to figure out was the name of the narrator, not the front tag of the author's name. I simply never made the synaptic connection -- either here or in the Nick Carter books. And it's not a senior-mo' -- since I read Nick Carter when I was in my 30's!

Business: I'm not recording front matter, so Section 0 can go away. Chapter 1 had the abbreviated LV intro (assuming a Section 0), so I've added the full intro / disclaimer. (Also it's tempo + 10%)

Here's the new chapter 1.

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/bensonmurdercase_01_vandine.mp3

Your mom's a duck. :clap:
– Kirsten

* or at least listen!