COMPLETE - A Guide to Mythology -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

A Guide to Mythology, by Helen Clarke (1860 - 1926)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/a-guide-to-mythology-by-helen-clarke/

My aim in this book on Mythology for young readers has been to give them solid knowledge on the subject, as far as it is advisable to go with immature minds, based upon the most recent investigations of scholars, and to select the myths used in illustration of the plan, with a view to giving them interesting stories to read, which will, almost unconsciously to themselves, lay a firm foundation for the fascinating study of Comparative Mythology, should they wish to go more deeply into it in the future.

There is much talk nowadays as to the authenticity of the records of savage myths. Much of this talk seems to me futile, for a myth is not a fixed entity. Each successive narrator is almost sure to vary and embellish somewhat the material that comes to him, according to his own inventive fancy. If, therefore, a savage myth recorded by a white man retains the chief characteristics of the savage myth, in spite of some fanciful turns given it by him, to the degree, say, that a story of Ovid’s retains those of a Greek myth, it is to all intents and purposes a savage myth, and the embellishments may be disregarded, as Ovid’s are when we are considering Greek Mythology. I have, therefore, included in this volume those versions of the myths that seemed most readable and attractive, provided the primitive attitude of mind and customs were fully emphasized. (Summary by The author)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/67172

Target completion date: 2022-03-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project:

Keywords that describe the book: mythology

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of A Guide to Mythology. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "A Guide to Mythology, by Helen Clarke. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of A Guide to Mythology, by Helen Clarke. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of A Guide to Mythology, by Helen Clarke."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: guidetomythology_##_clarke_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. guidetomythology_01_clarke_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: knotyouraveragejo

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

DPL Checking in 8-)
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

First 3 sections ready
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

PhyllisV wrote: February 6th, 2022, 9:39 am First 3 sections ready
And, we're off on another journey!
Section 1 and 2 are PL OK
~ Larry
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

4 and 5 now ready
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Section 4 is PL OK
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Section 5 is PL OK
~ Larry
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

Sections 6 - 8 now ready for your listening pleasure :D
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

PhyllisV wrote: February 13th, 2022, 10:34 am Sections 6 - 8 now ready for your listening pleasure :D
6 & 8 PL OK
7 - Volume is low at only 85.1 dBs
~ Larry
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

Oops - fixed it in Audacity, but forgot to export it. Should be fixed now.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

PhyllisV wrote: February 15th, 2022, 7:51 am Oops - fixed it in Audacity, but forgot to export it. Should be fixed now.
Comes in at 88 dB so marking it PL OK :thumbs:
~ Larry
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

9 - 11 now ready
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

PhyllisV wrote: February 17th, 2022, 11:36 am 9 - 11 now ready
All 3 are PL OK :)
~ Larry
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

12 and 13 now ready. Not sure what happened with 12 - after recording, it clocked in at only 81 db. I boosted it to 88, but I'm worried it will sound distorted, the audio track looks so huge. Let me know what you think. I've been messing with my mic, trying to figure out a good distance to record with decent volume, but not to pop my P's too much. I've got a wind shield, but it doesn't seem to do much good, and a windscreen isn't much help either. I guess I just have to live with some popping - I've been listening to some podcasts recently and am amazed at the quality of the sound, but then again, I'm sure they are using more expensive mics than I am.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Marking them both PL OK

I wish I could be of more help to you, Phyllis, but I'm not much of a sound technician. I know there are some who do a lot more in post production than I do. I think this would be a great topic for one of our LV Zoom sessions. I listened to the one on microphones, and found a few useful things, but I think the expert still had a hard time bringing things down to an amateur user's level. I'm sure better mike's might help a lot of us, but it is not the most important element is producing good audio.

I've played with my set up some this year. I was recording for another group with stricter standards and was told that I too much reverb, which was true. My main issue was that I had the microphone too far away. I got a cheap mike stand that worked for how I record. Then I hung some blankets in back of my recording position that act as a bass trap and also help. That is a different issue, however, and is not anything I notice in your recordings. I think you must have a good recording space,

I do have a pop filter now, but I'm still far enough away and at an angle so that the plosives are not an issue for me . I have never notice this to be an issue in your recordings, either. I mean, a p should still sound like a p. It is an aspirated sound, after all. It is just when that puff of air impinges directly on the mic that we hear that dreaded "explosion." I've been listening to some of the test recordings from new readers, and do hear this a lot. That's why they selected a passage with a lot of plosives in it, I guess.

I didn't notice in distortion with the amplified file. The waveform doesn't tell the whole story. But you can see that there is a middle part that is softer and another part louder, but it sounds natural. I listen to a lot of recordings, and I see some wave forms that show a lot of peaks and valleys, and some that are almost uniform. I know some people do a lot of postproduction work. There is compression, normalization, limiter, etc. and don't really understand them. There are some tutorials, but even then when I've played around with them, I never really get the results I'm looking for. Like I said, a good Zoom topic.

Anyway, rest assured that your recordings are always of excellent quality - good, clean audio!

All the best,
~ Larry