COMPLETE Slave Narratives: a Folk History of Slavery in the United States From Interviews with Former Slaves-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Slave Narratives: a Folk History of Slavery in the United States From Interviews with Former Slaves, Volume XI, North Carolina Narratives, Part 1, by Various

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/slave-narratives-vol11-part1/
These volumes of slave narratives are the product of the Federal Writers Project sponsored by the Library of Congress and the Work Project Administration. They consist of verbatim records of personal interviews with former slaves conducted during 1936-1938

"These life histories, taken down as far as possible in the narrators' words, constitute an invaluable body of unconscious evidence or indirect source material, . . . The narratives belong to folk history—history recovered from the memories and lips of participants or eye-witnesses,” This is volume one for the state of North Carolina. (Summary by Larry Wilson)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/22976

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

SPECIAL READING NOTE:
These personal narratives are recorded from the lips of former slaves and reflect their vernacular language. You don’t need to attempt a strong accent; just read the narrative as written. More information about the nature of these narrative is given in the next post.

CAUTION: Some of these narratives may contain racially offensive words which were embedded in the language of the slaves themselves. They must be read as written, so please review the sections and do not select anything that you are not comfortable reading.

NOTE: Please skip the statistical section at the beginning of each section. Do NOT read the internal HW or TR notes. Do NOT read picture captions. Do NOT read any footnotes.

Say:
"Section # of Slave Narratives: a Folk History of Slavery in the United States From Interviews with Former Slaves, Volume XI, North Carolina Narratives, Part 1. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Slave Narratives: a Folk History of Slavery in the United States From Interviews with Former Slaves, Volume XI, North Carolina Narratives, Part 1, by Various. Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Slave Narratives: a Folk History of Slavery in the United States From Interviews with Former Slaves, Volume XI, North Carolina Narratives, Part 1, by Various."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: slavenarrativesvol11pt1_01_various_128kb.mp3where ## is the section number. (e.g. slavenarrativesvol11pt1_01_various_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: maryannspiegel

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by silverquill on March 5th, 2022, 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

We started with North Carolina Part 2, so this is Part 1

mleigh has agree to be DPL for this volume
~ Larry
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Larry,
I'd be happy to MC this for you. I'll get your MW set up.
MaryAnn
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Thank you, MaryAnn!
Good to have the team together for another volume.

MW filled in and we are READY FOR READERS.
~ Larry
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

Hello,

Can I record sections 4 and 5 ? I am a newbie so i dont know how actually it really works!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Kleio wrote: January 19th, 2022, 10:33 am Hello,

Can I record sections 4 and 5 ? I am a newbie so i dont know how actually it really works!
I would be glad for you to make your LibriVox debut here!
Please let me know how you would like to be listed in the LV catalog -- real name, pseudonym or any nickname you wish. This is how you will be credited for all of your LV work.

Please read through all of the instructions in the initial post for this projects. Let me know if something is not clear. You will find some useful links there as well, such as the Newbie Guide to Recording which I strongly suggest that you read through. We also have a lot of video tutorials. So take some time to learn as much as you can, ask questions, and enjoy!
~ Larry
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

silverquill wrote: January 19th, 2022, 10:37 pm
Kleio wrote: January 19th, 2022, 10:33 am Hello,

I would be glad for you to make your LibriVox debut here!
Please let me know how you would like to be listed in the LV catalog -- real name, pseudonym or any nickname you wish. This is how you will be credited for all of your LV work.

Please read through all of the instructions in the initial post for this projects. Let me know if something is not clear. You will find some useful links there as well, such as the Newbie Guide to Recording which I strongly suggest that you read through. We also have a lot of video tutorials. So take some time to learn as much as you can, ask questions, and enjoy!
I will go for KleioMilia. And thanks for the info! I ll check everything :)
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Kleio wrote: January 20th, 2022, 2:26 am
I will go for KleioMilia. And thanks for the info! I ll check everything :)
Great!
I've added you to our roster of readers and assigned you Sections 4 and 5.
Just click on your name in the Magic Window to view your personal catalog page. This is where you can track all of your LV projects, of which I hope there will be many.

WELCOME TO LIBRIVOX :clap:
~ Larry
bkelle

Post by bkelle »

Hi,

May I read 49, Margaret E. Dickens?

You can use my forum name, bkelle.

Thank you.
Jeromeware

Post by Jeromeware »

I'd like to record sections 85-89.

Jerome
pwitt

Post by pwitt »

I would like to read sections 01 Louisa Adams and 06 Cornelia Andrews.
docdlmartin

Post by docdlmartin »

may I claim section 1?
docdlmartin

Post by docdlmartin »

Someone already claimed section 1. May I claim section 2?
KalebSuedfeld

Post by KalebSuedfeld »

Can I take section 50, please?
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Thank you each one for the above claims! :thumbs:
They have all been entered into the MW, so please check to make sure they reflect your requests.
~ Larry