[COMPLETE] An Outcast of the Islands by J. Conrad- availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

An Outcast of the Islands, by Joseph Conrad (1857 - 1924)

This project is now complete. All files can be downloaded from the catalog page:
https://librivox.org/an-outcast-of-the-islands-by-joseph-conrad-2/

This, Conrad's second, novel serves as an illuminating prequel of his first, 'Almayer's Folly', teasing out the origins of the factional tensions that are such a distinctive feature of the social life of the little settlement of Sambir, on the Pantai river in Borneo, that figure so prominently in its predecessor. The central plot has an almost mythic quality ('A foolish king has two sons who are deeply jealous of each other'), the role of the 'king' in this case being played by Captain Tom Lingard, a swashbuckling if somewhat simple-minded freebooter who for many years has meddled in political affairs in the Malacca Straits for reasons both opportunistic and altruistic, and who has occasionally taken on 'lost causes' as his own personal protegés out of mixture of vanity and genuine good-heartedness. Lingard has previously set up one such protegé, Kaspar Almayer, as his employee at an isolated trading station in Sambir. When he learns that another former protegé, Peter Willems, has disgraced himself in Macassar and is on the point of suicide, Lingard takes pity on him and whisks him away to stay with Almayer in Sambir. Almayer and Willems are mutually jealous and hostile, however, and Willems' response to being 'saved' by Lingard is to bite the hand that has fed him in an act of betrayal that shocks Lingard and triggers a devastating denouement. Among its other qualities, the novel is notable for its frank, even-handed depiction of interracial suspicion and enmity, and for its glorious descriptions of the physical environment of Sambir, where most of the story takes place. (Summary by Peter Dann)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/638

Target completion date: 2022-03-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
Genres for the project: Literary Fiction; General Fiction/Published 1800 -1900
Keywords that describe the book: language and literatures: english literature, psychological fiction, lingard, clerks -- fiction, europeans -- southeast asia -- fiction, trading companies -- fiction betrayal -- fiction, tom (fictitious character) -- fiction, southeast asia -- fiction
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of An Outcast of the Islands. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "An Outcast of the Islands, by Joseph Conrad. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of An Outcast of the Islands, by Joseph Conrad. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of An Outcast of the Islands, by Joseph Conrad."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: outcastoftheislands_##_conrad_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. outcastoftheislands_01_conrad_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: availle

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by TheBanjo on February 12th, 2022, 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Sunrise2020 has kindly agreed to act as DPL for this project.

I am aware that there is a previous reading of this work available on Librivox.

I am looking for lovely (or, frankly, even unlovely) MC to take this on.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Unlovely MC reporting for duty. MW will be up in a moment.

Edit: DONE!
Have fun!
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Availle wrote: January 16th, 2022, 7:49 pm Unlovely MC reporting for duty. MW will be up in a moment.

Edit: DONE!
Have fun!
Thank you, Ava. Can't say I'm familiar with Granny W, in particular, or with all that many witches in general, but reference to GW's 'extreme distrust of stories' on Wiki does alarm me somewhat, I must say. Perhaps if we both pretend for now that 'An Outcast of the Islands' is a work of anthropology, akin to, say, 'Coming of Age in Samoa', we shall get on just fine. Thanks for your speedy help with MW.
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

I have uploaded section 01: https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/outcastoftheislands_01_conrad_128kb.mp3 (9:44).

And we're away, back to Borneo again.
Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 »

Ah Borneo, land of endless forests and strange creatures!
==========
Susanne
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

I have uploaded section 02: https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/outcastoftheislands_02_conrad_128kb.mp3 (17:40)

... in which we meet, perhaps, one of those strange creatures?
Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 »

TheBanjo wrote: January 17th, 2022, 12:03 am I have uploaded section 01: https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/outcastoftheislands_01_conrad_128kb.mp3 (9:44).

And we're away, back to Borneo again.
PL of section 1 is fine. We’re off to a good start.
==========
Susanne
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

...and off to "going solo".

Enjoy! :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

I have uploaded section 03: https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/outcastoftheislands_03_conrad_128kb.mp3 (15:45)

Challenge to the listener: spot the ever-so-brief reference to the event that Conrad would later describe in 'The Rescue'.
Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 »

Section 2 is fine
==========
Susanne
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 »

This morning at 8:00 it was already 25C and I felt right at home in listening to the Outcast. Sections 3-5 are fine. :D
==========
Susanne
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Good time of year in the Southern Hemisphere to be reading about life in the tropics!

I have uploaded section 06: https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/outcastoftheislands_06_conrad_128kb.mp3 (30:05)