[Dramatic Reading] The Revolt on Venus - philc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
loon

Post by loon »

(Finished!) The Revolt on Venus, by Carey Rockwell

This marvelous project can now be found in our catalog at https://librivox.org/the-revolt-on-venus-dramatic-reading-by-carey-rockwell/
Space Cadets Tom Corbett, Roger Manning and Astro head to Venus for summer leave from Space Academy. They intend to go on a tyrannosaurus hunt. Instead, they stumble upon an underground band of rebels who threaten the entire Solar Alliance. (Summary by Rich Brown)

Cast:
Narration - Jessica Martin
Tom Corbett - Phil Chenevert
Roger Manning - ToddHW
Major Lou Connel - Jon de Silva
Rex Sinclair - Jake Malizia
Additional roles read by - Anthony Joseph - Ryan Williams - Larry Wilson - Anna Maria - Jack Hill - Rolga - Jenn Broda - Krista Zaleski - Scott Caulkins - Lynette Caulkins - cadwallader - maxmagnus99 - Rich Brown - TheIntern356 - archive27vo - Kevin Crody

Proof Listener - Larry Wilson
Editor - Rich Brown

Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/19027

Individual chapters broken down by character are at https://fullloon.com/Venus/

Please do not apply any noise reduction or compression effects to your individual reader tracks - this will be done during editing of the full chapters.

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming roles: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available roles. Post a reply in this thread asking for the role you would like to record.
Please note: All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
  • Project Code: FGu8AZLg
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Corbett,_Space_Cadet (Carey Rockwell)
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 20
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
  • Original publication date (if known): 1954
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
  • Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Science Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: Tom Corbett, Space Cadet

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

For individual roles:
Submit one file per act. At the beginning of the first file, say:
"Character, read by your name."
Leave 3-5 seconds of space between your lines (room noise, not generated silence).

For narration/stage directions:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Act # of The Revolt on Venus, by Carey Rockwell. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
At the end of each file say:
"End of Act #."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Revolt on Venus, by Carey Rockwell."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename:
For individual roles: revoltonvenus_role_#.mp3 where # is the act number. (e.g. revoltonvenus_romeo_1.mp3)
For final files: revoltonvenus_#_rockwell_128kb.mp3 where # is the act number. (e.g. revoltonvenus_1_rockwell_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: philchenevert

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.

Credits for the voices in this Dramatic Reading are as follows:

Catalog name: Jessica Martin
Forum name: blondon
Narration

Catalog name: Phil Chenevert
Forum name: philchenevert
Cadet Tom Corbett

Catalog name: ToddHW
Forum name: ToddHW
Cadet Roger Manning

Catalog name: James R. Hedrick
Forum name: Jhedrick
Cadet Astro, Sergeant ('b' chapter 16)

Catalog name: Anthony Joseph
Forum name: Tonytown
Cadet Tony Richards, Solar Delegate E. Phillips James, PA Voice (chapter 2), Venus Nationalist (‘b’ chapter 11), Venus Nationalist (‘b’ chapter 14), Venus Nationalist (‘a’ chapter 15), Sergeant ('a' chapter 16), Pleiades Commander, Al Sharkey

Catalog name: Ryan Williams
Forum name: Ryanwill4
Captain Steve Strong

Catalog name: Larry Wilson
Forum name: silverquill
Commander Walters

Catalog name: Anna Maria
Forum name: feminerdist
Dr. Joan Dale

Catalog name: Jack Hill
Forum name: jackhill
Professor Sykes, Pawnshop Owner (chapter4)

Catalog name: Jon de Silva
Forum name: Jd488
Major Lou Connel

Catalog name: Rolga
Forum name: Rolga
Monorail Conductor (chapter 2), Ticket Agent (chapter 2), Receptionist (chapter 4), Astro’s Assistant, Venus Nationalist (‘a’ chapter 14), Radar Operator (chapter 17)

Catalog name: Jenn Broda
Forum name: jennlea
Private Secretary to S.D. James, Agnes Keene

Catalog name: Krista Zaleski
Forum name: kristakz
Roy Keene, Hilmarc, Helia, Bill Jensen

Catalog name: Scott Caulkins
Forum name: Scaulkins
George Hill

Catalog name: Lynette Caulkins
Forum name: Lcaulkins
Mrs. Hill, Venus Nationalist (‘b’ chapter 19)

Catalog name: cadwallader
Forum name: cadwallader
Venus Nationalist (‘a’ chapter 7), Venus Nationalist (‘a’ chapter 13), Gunner

Catalog name: maxmagnus99
Forum name: maxmagnus99
Jet Cab Driver, Venus Nationalist (‘a’ chapter 11), Carson, Foreman

Catalog name: Rich Brown
Forum name: loon
Venus Nationalist (‘c’ chapter 11), Drifi, Venus Nationalist (‘c’ chapter 19)

Catalog name: Jake Malizia
Forum name: jakemalizia
Rex Sinclair/Lactu

Catalog name: TheIntern356
Forum name: TheIntern356
Astro’s Guard

Catalog name: archive27vo
Forum name: archive27vo
Radar Operator (chapter 18), Lieutenant Ferris

Catalog name: Kevin Crody
Forum name: Kcrody
Vanus Nationalist (‘a’ chapter 19)
Last edited by loon on May 3rd, 2022, 5:25 am, edited 10 times in total.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
loon

Post by loon »

Thanks to Gosset and Dunlap for failing to renew the copyright on this pulpy Space Cadet book!

blondon (Jessica Martin) has agreed to read the narration.

I'm searching for readers for all the roles as well as a DPL for the finished chapters. I will PL incoming segments and edit.

Because '50s SF had so few good female characters all roles in this book will be gender neutral, even (gulp) Tom Corbett, Astro and Roger Manning. A list of open characters is at https://fullloon.com/Venus/Roles.pdf. Scripts for each chapter start at https://fullloon.com/Venus/.
Last edited by loon on December 9th, 2021, 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

How cool!

I loved listening to these.

As much as I would really like to take one of the major roles, realistically I don't have the time to devote to it right now. But, I'd be glad to read for Commander Walters.

If that doesn't preclude me from being DPL for the final sections, I would be glad to contribute that to the project as well.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
loon

Post by loon »

silverquill wrote: December 8th, 2021, 9:14 pm As much as I would really like to take one of the major roles, realistically I don't have the time to devote to it right now. But, I'd be glad to read for Commander Walters.

If that doesn't preclude me from being DPL for the final sections, I would be glad to contribute that to the project as well.
Wonderful. I was about to PM you to try to recruit you for this book! Commander Walters is yours.
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

Rex Sinclair seems like a lot of fun, can I claim him?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

A note for when you start future projects - please file this away for future reference:

- The database entry had "~Dramatic Reading: The Revolt on Venus" as the title of the project. Please only put the actual book title in the form when starting a project. The tilde and genre only go in the forum post. We don't want "~Dramatic Reading:" showing up on the final catalog page. :)

- The author was already in the system, but it looks like you made a new author. Please when setting up a project, pick the author from the pick list that pops up when you enter the surname of the author. (It's like the reader drop-down; selecting it from the list chooses that database entry.)

- On dramatic readings, be sure to choose "Dramatic Reading" as a genre. :)

Thanks!

(I was cleaning up the author database when I saw the duplicate author, which is what led me down this rabbit hole.)

EDIT: Phil, since you set up the MW, I assume you're MC'ing? I've put your initials in the thread title and your name in the upload instructions.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
loon

Post by loon »

jakemalizia wrote: December 9th, 2021, 1:07 am Rex Sinclair seems like a lot of fun, can I claim him?
Rex Sinclair is quite the character. He's yours.

I have a pile of Zoom meetings this morning - I'll start filling in the Magic Window after those.
loon

Post by loon »

TriciaG wrote: December 9th, 2021, 6:42 am A note for when you start future projects - please file this away for future reference:
All three things noted for my future reference. By putting Dramatic Reading in when I was setting up the first post I also made all the file names veryverylong.

Thanks for stepping in with hints.

Yes, Phil agreed to be the MC on this.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Rich, I thought you were an old hand at these DRs ! Oh dear, I repeat that I am not familiar at all with the format as Tricia's post shows plainly. Perhaps we should seek some wise guidance? :shock:
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
loon

Post by loon »

philchenevert wrote: December 9th, 2021, 7:57 am Rich, I thought you were an old hand at these DRs ! Oh dear, I repeat that I am not familiar at all with the format as Tricia's post shows plainly. Perhaps we should seek some wise guidance? :shock:
Phil, I've spent the last year watching what BCs for other dramatic readings have been doing - I'll copy their methods as much as possible. I'll be standing on the shoulders of giants. (hopefully shoulders and not their toes!)

But yes, when I have questions I'll be asking around.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Oh, Fun!! May I do Mrs. Hill?

And may my husband, SCaulkins, do G. Hill?
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
loon

Post by loon »

LCaulkins wrote: December 9th, 2021, 12:31 pm Oh, Fun!! May I do Mrs. Hill?

Welcome aboard! If you want to add other minor characters who doesn't appear in chapters 5, 9 or 16 ask for them.
I'll have you each upload your lines as separate files.
loon

Post by loon »

The Magic Window is populated with all the tracks for individual readers.

When you are reading lines for a role please do not apply your own noise reduction, compression or equalization - I will apply those to entire chapters as needed. The first chapter you have lines in should have "[your character] read by [your catalog name]" - read that as well as your lines in the story. Please give me 4 or 5 seconds of silence between your lines. The file name to upload should be in the style given in the first post, i.e.
revoltonvenus_role_#.mp3 where # is the chapter number. (e.g. revoltonvenus_astro_1.mp3)

If I've entered a role incorrectly or missed something please point it out here and I'll make corrections.

By the rings of Saturn, we're blasting off!
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

loon wrote: December 9th, 2021, 12:52 pm
LCaulkins wrote: December 9th, 2021, 12:31 pm Oh, Fun!! May I do Mrs. Hill?

Welcome aboard! If you want to add other minor characters who doesn't appear in chapters 5, 9 or 16 ask for them.
I'll have you each upload your lines as separate files.
Yes, he submits his files himself. :)

By the way, where do we find the chapter scripts?
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
loon

Post by loon »

LCaulkins wrote: December 9th, 2021, 1:58 pm
loon wrote: December 9th, 2021, 12:52 pm By the way, where do we find the chapter scripts?
Look at https://fullloon.com/Venus/