Complete [SOLO] The Thing in the Woods by Margery Williams Bianco -ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

The Thing in the Woods, by Margery Williams Bianco (1881 - 1944)
Dr. Haverill is asked to fill in as local physician for the skittish Dr. Lennox in a small Pennsylvania town. The locals seem to be a superstitious bunch, prone to fearing traveling in the woods at night and with good reason. It seems a series of vicious attacks have occurred by what appears to be some kind of large animal. As the bodies begin to pile up,Dr. Haverill starts to question whether the responsible party could be something beyond humanity.
Writer Margery Williams Bianco (writing here under the pseudonym Harper Williams) is perhaps better known for writing the children's classic "The Velveteen Rabbit", but this dark slice of mystery horror fiction was found to be admired by none other than H. P. Lovecraft. Lovecraft scholars have noted in particular a distinct influence that this book had on his famous story "The Dunwich Horror".
Also please note that this book is of its time and features racially insensitive language in the early chapters. Those who are concerned with such language should be advised.
• This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-thing-in-the-woods-by-margery-williams/

Source text (please read only from this text!): https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.$b312829&view=1up&seq=12&skin=2021

Target completion date: 0-12-00

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Horror & Supernatural Fiction

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Thing in the Woods. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Thing in the Woods, by Margery Williams Bianco. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Thing in the Woods, by Margery Williams Bianco. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Thing in the Woods, by Margery Williams Bianco."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: thinginthewoods_##_bianco_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. thinginthewoods_01_bianco_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: alg1001

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by flavo5000 on January 11th, 2022, 8:29 am, edited 4 times in total.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Hi, this is my first solo project so bear with me if I get confused on how this is structured or anything or if I'm missing something important here.
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi,
This sounds like it will be a good story. I'll PM you information on being a soloist. I put the ~ in your title line to indicate that you need a proof listener. The summary has spoilers. Maybe you phrase the end part as something like: "The townspeople begin to wonder whether it could be the work of a werewolf or something even more sinister," rather than "The murderer is found to be a werewolf, this is at least partially rationalized but with the possibility left open that the murderer was truly a werewolf."
Thanks!
Amy :)
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

alg1001 wrote: December 6th, 2021, 6:33 pm Hi,
This sounds like it will be a good story. I'll PM you information on being a soloist. I put the ~ in your title line to indicate that you need a proof listener. The summary has spoilers. Maybe you phrase the end part as something like: "The townspeople begin to wonder whether it could be the work of a werewolf or something even more sinister," rather than "The murderer is found to be a werewolf, this is at least partially rationalized but with the possibility left open that the murderer was truly a werewolf."
Thanks!
Amy :)
I agree. I actually planned to go back and redo the summary later. I just grabbed the first public domain summary I could find as a placeholder for now.
ADKreader1122

Post by ADKreader1122 »

Amy and Benjamin,
I'd be interested in being the DPL for this project if you haven't already assigned someone else. It looks like an interesting story!

Thank you,
Lora
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Chapter 1 is ready for PL!
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/thinginthewoods_01_bianco_128kb.mp3

The casual racism here is a little uncomfortable... Hopefully there isn't much of that in the book overall.
ADKreader1122

Post by ADKreader1122 »

Benjamin,
Chapter 1 is PL Okay-I don't have access to the MW yet, so if you or Amy could mark it, that would be great.

Thank you!
Lora
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

ADKreader1122 wrote: December 8th, 2021, 12:02 pm Benjamin,
Chapter 1 is PL Okay-I don't have access to the MW yet, so if you or Amy could mark it, that would be great.

Thank you!
Lora
Hooray! One down, 21 to go. :D
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Lora is added as DPL now. I'll move you to Going Solo.
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
ADKreader1122

Post by ADKreader1122 »

Thanks, Amy!

Lora
ADKreader1122

Post by ADKreader1122 »

PL Okay for Chapter 2; I see what you mean about the casual racism and the stereotype of Pete. I hope it doesn't put people off the story.

Lora
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

ADKreader1122 wrote: December 10th, 2021, 11:54 am PL Okay for Chapter 2; I see what you mean about the casual racism and the stereotype of Pete. I hope it doesn't put people off the story.

Lora
Thankfully it looks like from Ch 3 onward it's mostly gone.
ADKreader1122

Post by ADKreader1122 »

PL Okay for Chapter 3--it's sounding good!

Lora