[COMPLETE] The Bartlett Mystery by Louis Tracy - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kirsten Wever

Post by Kirsten Wever »

The Bartlett Mystery, by Louis Tracy (1863 - 1928).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-bartlett-mystery-by-louis-tracy/
This is a fast-paced mystery, set in New York City, has two or three really interesting ("round") characters, a solid plot, no cheap plot-twists, two full-fledged sub/urban battles and some real surprises.

Winifred Bartlett, a beautiful and poor orphan, suddenly finds herself homeless and out of a job. Prince Charming (nee Rex Carshaw) comes on her by accident, and begins to take an interest. As strange, apparently unconnected disasters continue to batter poor Winnie, Rex and two police detectives (the most interesting characters in the book) probe the causes and forces threatening the dear girl's well-being and, ultimately, her very life and liberty. It turns out that it is Winifred's close resemblance to her mother, who died long ago in Vermont, that threatens certain powerful interests in contemporary (1913) New York.

An unusually large cast of bad guys - each with a different motive for getting rid of Winifred - includes a US Senator, and unsuccessful book binding supervisor, an influential NY society belle, and gun-slinging Western gangster "Mick the Wolf.” The mystery becomes increasingly complex with every new assault on the girl's well-being, and the efforts of the NY police and the ever-faithful Rex.

(Summary by Kirsten Wever)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/31949

Target completion date: 2022-01-13

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: Crime & Mystery Fiction; Crime & Mystery Fiction/Detective Fiction; Romance

Keywords that describe the book:

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Bartlett Mystery. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Bartlett Mystery, by Louis Tracy. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Bartlett Mystery, by Louis Tracy. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Bartlett Mystery, by Louis Tracy."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: bartlettmystery_##_tracy_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. bartlettmystery_01_tracy_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: craigdav1

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by Kirsten Wever on December 24th, 2021, 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
– Kirsten

A person who won't read* has no advantage over one who can't. – Twain

* or at least listen!
Kirsten Wever

Post by Kirsten Wever »

Looking forward to getting goi

PLEASE NOTE: THIS PROJECT HAS AN MC AND A DPL
– Kirsten

* or at least listen!
Kirsten Wever

Post by Kirsten Wever »

So, really, I PROMISE that I don't pretend to have translated any of the works I'm recording.

Nonetheless the Project Template always credits me as such! Perhaps it knows I COULD have translated these books into a few languages not English ... :wink:

But really! Tell me, somebody -- IS THERE a software glitch that makes the project template put readers' names in the translator slot?
– Kirsten

* or at least listen!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'll DPL, as arranged. :) My MC plate is full, so I won't MC.

I think Chrome has some sort of auto-fill bug that puts in your name in the translator field. I'm not sure how it works, but it seems to be a browser-specific bug. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

MW coming up.

edit: Let me know if any changes are needed.
Kirsten Wever

Post by Kirsten Wever »

thanks, dave.
– Kirsten

* or at least listen!
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Moving to Going Solo forum.
Kirsten Wever

Post by Kirsten Wever »

ignore. :roll:
Last edited by Kirsten Wever on December 17th, 2021, 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
– Kirsten

* or at least listen!
Kirsten Wever

Post by Kirsten Wever »

Sorry delay! Chapters 1-3.

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/bartlettmystery_01_tracy.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/bartlettmystery_02_tracy.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/bartlettmystery_03_tracy.mp3

Tricia, I'm okay with occasional background hungry tummy growlings and muted cat whining --if you are.

I THINK this may actually be a fairly good story. :?

KW
– Kirsten

* or at least listen!
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

:clap:
Kirsten Wever

Post by Kirsten Wever »

WHOA.... begging your gracious forbearance, Tricia,

I just discovered you can truncate silences not just to a specific length of time, but to a percentage of the silent span -- which I find a marvelous and long sought benefit

SO

Can you please NOT PL chapters 1-3 until I truncate -- at which point I'll also post ch 4 and 5.

THANKS!
– Kirsten

* or at least listen!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I already did 1.

I'm partway through 2. I'll stop here (where the mistaken man is just starting to speak to the guy who was going to meet the senator.) While you're in there:
0:04 - missing "This LibriVox recording is in the public domain"

You can check 3 for the same omission.

The silences seemed plenty long/short to me. I wouldn't change them, but it's up to you.
Kirsten Wever

Post by Kirsten Wever »

Thanks. Maybe I'll reconsider.
– Kirsten

* or at least listen!
Kirsten Wever

Post by Kirsten Wever »

Tricia --
Chapters 1 - 3, with no changes except
--silence trunkation for all (so shorter files)
--and for chapter 2 addition of LV disclaimer at start.

I've loaded these new files and times into the MW and labeled Ch 2 as ready for spot pl.

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/bartlettmystery_01_tracy.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/bartlettmystery_02_tracy.mp3
https:21.20//librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/bartlettmystery_03_tracy.mp3

I note ch 3 isn't a link here -- but it is in the MW, and I deleted the uploaded one.

About Chapter 4 ...

first, it's not here because of the silence-trunk thing --- but it will be in my next post.

Also, as you know, starting about 16.50, for about a minute there's on and off background noise which I can't fix. ideas? or ok?

COURTESY DISCLAIMER: The following may be better suited to bed-time, bathroom or public transportation reading.

Chapter 4 Background Noise: A Short Treatise

Those squirky background squeaks represent the sound of southward-bound Canadian geese. When you think about the enormity of the looooong and aaaaarduous journey .... twice a year ... frequently fatal ... Well, all I can say is : Honk away and more power to you.

I mention this because of a curious me-specific phenomenon, viz., that Canadian geese determine their flight patterns based not on weather or topography, but on the physical location of ... moi. Wherever in Canada they may live in the summer, right now ALL Canadian Geese know that I am the north pole to their migrating magnets. Wherever I be, there they converge, converse, and carry on. I am the social glue without which the community would go tone deaf and honk all out of tune. I view my role as a solemn trust.

Still.... ... From November 5 to December 20 [I and I alone hear honking, having roughly 2.8 million geese overhead at any given moment (those close enough for honk-hearing). I hear it distincly. For 6 weeks. (Conservative estimates.) Do I complain? Oh ye of little faith and Forsooth and Lack-a-day! I am truly blessed by the heaven-born hails of hoots, honks and hwoop-dee-doos. Makes sense: I'm the powerful but obscure north pole to migrational magnets of our feathered friends. I forgive the fortississimo folk-fonk foolishness. I'm for those fowl flocks in fierce frost-flight.

tee-hee
Last edited by Kirsten Wever on December 17th, 2021, 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
– Kirsten

* or at least listen!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Ha ha ha! Sometimes there's nothing you can do about the animal sounds that get into recordings. :) No worries.

I'll listen to these over the weekend. 8-)