COMPLETE Matthew, from Horae Homileticae, by Charles Simeon-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Matthew, from Horae Homileticae, by Charles Simeon (1759 - 1836)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/matthew-from-horae-homileticae-by-charles-simeon/
Simeon' Works, as they were published 1832, fill twenty-one large octavo volumes, and the title-page reads, 'Horae Homileticae or Discourses (principally in the form of Skeletons) now first digested into one continued Series and forming a Commentary upon every book of the Old and New Testament ; to which is annexed an improved Edition of a Translation of Claude's Essay on the Composition of a Sermon'. It was the literary achievement of his life, and no unworthy one. These volumes, now long out of print, contain many discourses fully written, among them the several sets of University Sermons; but the large majority of the more than two thousand compositions are précis of parochial sermons, well ordered outlines of exposition, arranged according to the books of the Holy Scriptures. The reader, as the author warns him, will look there in vain for minute criticism or for remote speculation; but he will seldom fail to gather excellent suggestions how to explain and arrange, and how to carry messages home from the Word of God to the life of man. The term 'Skeleton' was certainly unfortunate - Simeon's despisers made merry over it. But the summaries so named were no pieces of lifeless mechanism, as their author planned them, and as he taught others how to use them. They were the bone-systems of sermons which he himself made to live, and speak, and work; and he did his utmost to teach 'his young men' how to do the same. (Summary by adapted from Charles Simeon by Handley Carr Glyn Moule)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/horaehomileticae183311sime/page/n8/mode/1up

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Sermon # of Matthew, from Horae Homileticae*. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Matthew, from Horae Homileticae, by Charles Simeon**. Section Title."

*Pronounce this however you like. One option is "Ho-ree Hom-i-let-i-kee".
** Sim-ee-on
While you're here, please look at the special instructions for this project below.
End of recording:
Say:
"End of sermon #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Matthew, from Horae Homileticae, by Charles Simeon."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.
Special instructions:
1. Please give the sermon number from the MW (you can ignore the MCCLXXVIII or whatever at the start of the section)
2. You can skip the footnotes unless you particulalrly want to read them.
3. Simeon uses letters and numerals to organize his sermons. For I. II. III. etc read "first, second, third". For 1. 2. 3. etc read "one, two, three". If he uses 1/2/3 within another block of 1/2/3 (very uncommon), you might choose to differentiate the innermost level by saying "firstly/secondly/thirdly".
4. There is no distinction between the smaller text in square brackets and the larger headings outside. Read it all.
5. If you find a mistake in the Magic Window, post in the thread to check.
Filename: matthew_##_simeon_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. matthew_01_simeon_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: maryannspiegel

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by InTheDesert on June 13th, 2022, 7:48 am, edited 5 times in total.
Medieval History Volume 02 The Rise of the Saracens and the Foundation of the Western Empire 99% 1 left! "The Carlovingian Revolution, and Frankish Intervention in Italy Part 3 by G. L. Burr"
DPL DPL 27 19 43
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

This is a big one but I think it will be broadly popular because it is short (average 15 minutes) sermons. Once the MW is up, it will take me a while to set it up with section names and direct text links. I will DPL. Should be finished by the end of 2022.
Medieval History Volume 02 The Rise of the Saracens and the Foundation of the Western Empire 99% 1 left! "The Carlovingian Revolution, and Frankish Intervention in Italy Part 3 by G. L. Burr"
DPL DPL 27 19 43
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

ITD,
I'd be happy to MC this for you. I'll get your MW set up.
MaryAnn
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 6:18 pm ITD,
I'd be happy to MC this for you. I'll get your MW set up.
MaryAnn
Lovely! Give me a few days to sort out the MW :)
DPL DPL 27 19 43
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Actually, with a few tools I had written in the past and some regex, the whole thing was quite easy so we are ready to go. I think these are more like 'short works' than a book because they were not written consecutively so they all stand alone. But you can send us to whatever forum your think is most appropriate!
DPL DPL 27 19 43
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Great. We'll go to readers wanted for books, as that is where most people would look for commentaries.

MaryAnn
andyglover

Post by andyglover »

May I please claim section 116, Our Relation to Christ and to Each Other (23:8)?
-Andy :)
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

andyglover wrote: December 4th, 2021, 2:01 pm May I please claim section 116, Our Relation to Christ and to Each Other (23:8)?
Done!
DPL DPL 27 19 43
andyglover

Post by andyglover »

Section 116: "Our Relation to Christ and to Each Other (23:8)"
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/matthew_116_simeon_128kb.mp3 (5:47)

Ready for PL :)
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

andyglover wrote: December 5th, 2021, 6:11 pm Section 116: "Our Relation to Christ and to Each Other (23:8)"

MW updated. Thanks for the quick turnaround!
DPL DPL 27 19 43
andyglover

Post by andyglover »

Thank you! :) If it's alright, I'd like to claim a couple more sections, namely:

68 - Doctrine of Particular Providence (10:30)
100 - The Worth of the Soul (16:28)
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

andyglover wrote: December 5th, 2021, 7:01 pm Thank you! :) If it's alright, I'd like to claim a couple more sections, namely:

68 - Doctrine of Particular Providence (10:30)
100 - The Worth of the Soul (16:28)
All yours!
DPL DPL 27 19 43
andyglover

Post by andyglover »

Hi there, when preparing to read for section 100: The Worth of the Soul, I noticed a small error in the MW: the section title says "16:28" while the text refers to Matthew 16:26.

I should have my sections done soon!

Cheers :)
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

andyglover wrote: December 7th, 2021, 11:16 am Hi there, when preparing to read for section 100: The Worth of the Soul, I noticed a small error in the MW: the section title says "16:28" while the text refers to Matthew 16:26.

I should have my sections done soon!

Cheers :)
Thanks, I'll rectify that. Follow the text for your reading.
DPL DPL 27 19 43
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

andyglover wrote: December 5th, 2021, 6:11 pm Section 116: "Our Relation to Christ and to Each Other (23:8)"

PL OK!
DPL DPL 27 19 43