Complete Life And Adventures Of Peter Wilkins, Vol. 2 - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

THE LIFE AND ADVENTURES OF PETER WILKINS, Vol. 2, by Robert Paltock (1697 - 1767)

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-life-and-adventures-of-peter-wilkins-vol-2-by-robert-paltock/

The imaginary voyage, from which a hero returns made wise through extraordinary experience, is at least as old as Odysseus. But the major inspiration for this 1750 iteration is Gulliver’s Travels (1726), with which it shares elements of early sci-fi. Wilkins’ new friends are a lens through which to contemplate the customs of his old English ones, as the Lilliputians and Brobdingnagians were for Lemuel Gulliver. (The Public Domain Review)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://gutenberg.org/ebooks/51968

Target completion date: 2022-12-02

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Paltock (Robert Paltock)
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 25
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
  • Original publication date (if known): 1751
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
  • Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
========================================

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Fantasy Fiction

Keywords that describe the book:

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of THE LIFE AND ADVENTURES OF PETER WILKINS, Vol. 2. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "THE LIFE AND ADVENTURES OF PETER WILKINS, Vol. 2, by Robert Paltock Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of THE LIFE AND ADVENTURES OF PETER WILKINS, Vol. 2, by Robert Paltock. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of THE LIFE AND ADVENTURES OF PETER WILKINS, Vol. 2, by Robert Paltock."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: thelifeandadventuresofpeterwilkinsvol2_##_paltock_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. thelifeandadventuresofpeterwilkinsvol2_01_paltock_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: lynnet

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by JHedrick on February 9th, 2022, 5:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jim in Ohio

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Very happy to DPL this. :)
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Setting this up for you.

Edit: Done. Let me know if you need anything else.
tobester123

Post by tobester123 »

I have just finished recording a solo project I took on just before this one. Recording will begin next week one this one.
“Once you learn to read, you will be forever free.” - Frederick Douglas
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

cool :)
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
tobester123

Post by tobester123 »

LCaulkins wrote: January 6th, 2022, 4:04 pm cool :)
As I get myself organized and ready to start this book, I find myself somewhat at a loss. I know how Nick Carter or Bertie Wooster sound (in my head, at least) but I don't yet hear Peter Wilkins. Can I ask what he means to you, or what image(s) he brings to mind, or why you think this book is important, maybe? Who is this Peter Wilkins guy, anyway, in short.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

If you were to shelve this book, you would slip it in with Jules Verne's exploration adventures and near William Morris's florid fantasies, next to the survival-inventiveness of Robinson Crusoe, and the encounters with exotic people in Gulliver's Island.

Here is what James wrote for the summary of Volume 1:

"This is a story about a Cornish man who becomes stranded on an island and survives much like Robinson Crusoe did. Although he finds enough to eat, he is still lonely. Eventually he is saved by a woman named Youwarkee who has wings and can fly. They marry, have children, and live happily ever after. But the listener is also treated to stories about the discovery of strange lands, and strange peoples not unlike the adventures found in Gulliver's Travels. In essence it becomes an exploration into the possibilities of a utopian world blended with fantasy and science fiction."

Peter Wilkins is resourceful in the face of catastrophe, wondrous of his stranded-island wife's exotic (winged) people and their technology, an attentive father to the children they've had.

Now, he did have a wife whom he'd married young back home in England at the beginning of volume 1, and there was a wicked step-father figure who was swindling him out of his inheritance . . . but he's been stranded for years in this remote, isolated and inescapable land, and by the end of the volume he has this new family. Volume 2 undoubtedly has a lot more of the story, which surely involves a return to England.

James did a superb job with volume 1 two years ago, but bowed out of doing volume 2. It will be very nice to have this part done up and added to the catalog so listeners don't continue being left stranded as well as the protagonist. :lol:

I'm assuming volume 2 continues in the first-person narrative style of volume 1. (The tone you've been using for Nick over in Tiger's Claws is quite nice for this project.) :)
~Lynette * -
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Oh, by the way, being a fiction narrative story, you would not need to read the chapter contents at the head of each chapter in the source. That would be super disruptive to the story.
~Lynette * -
tobester123

Post by tobester123 »

So I'm now three chapters into reading Peter Wilkins, Vol. 2 and I'm finding the writing style to be thoroughly beyond me. I'm going to give chapters 1-3 a relisten tomorrow to see if they sound better to me after a good night's sleep but right this minute I do not like how I sound in playback.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Some of these older writers take a bit to get a feel for, don't they? Something about their sentence structures/rhythms/whatever that is difference from our normal usage makes it tricky to read them sometimes.
~Lynette * -
tobester123

Post by tobester123 »

I'm recorded thru chapter five and it doesn't sound pretty. Eighteenth-century writers apparently had a lot more commas and semi-colons available back then, and no inhibitions about using them. I start a sentence, get lost in all the digressions and sidetracks, and then sound surprised when the end comes up.

I am sorry but I'm still kind of new at this and I just don't think I'm the right reader for Peter. I'd like to give this project up, please.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

I can delete the project (which is normal when there are no submitted files) but it will not be retrievable. I’ll wait a couple of days and see if you change your mind.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Paul, it's OK. I understand COMPLETELY about those sentences
~Lynette * -
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

OK, relief is available. :) this is too long a solo to make yourself slog through something that fights you all the way. Thanks for trying it out, Paul.

Paul, and Lynne:

Jim Hedrick (JHedrik) would be glad to take this solo over if Paul still wants to release it. I'll stay on and DPL for Jim.
~Lynette * -
tobester123

Post by tobester123 »

LCaulkins wrote: January 28th, 2022, 7:30 pm OK, relief is available. :) this is too long a solo to make yourself slog through something that fights you all the way. Thanks for trying it out, Paul.

Paul, and Lynne:

Jim Hedrick (JHedrik) would be glad to take this solo over if Paul still wants to release it. I'll stay on and DPL for Jim.
I'm happy to let someone else take this project over. Thank you very much!