[COMPLETE][SOLO] Homogenic Love and Its Place in a Free Society by Edward Carpenter - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

Homogenic Love and Its Place in a Free Society, by Edward Carpenter (1844 - 1929)

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/homogenic-love-by-edward-carpenter/
This pamphlet by LGBT pioneer and philosopher Edward Carpenter was originally intended to form part of his work "Love's Coming of Age", but was removed following public discourse on the Oscar Wilde trials of 1895. It was subsequently published privately and circulated among his inner circle. This is Carpenter's first publication on the subject of homosexuality, and displays his typical forward-thinking and utopian sentiments. It seeks to make clear that homosexuality is innate, is more widespread that generally accepted, and even implies that degress of bisexuality may be universal. (Summary by Jake Malizia)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/homogenic-love-and-its-place-in-a-free-s/page/n5/mode/2up

Target completion date: 2022-02-01

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section # of Homogenic Love and Its Place in a Free Society.
This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
[Optional: "Read by your name."]
"Homogenic Love and Its Place in a Free Society, by Edward Carpenter.
Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section # of Homogenic Love and Its Place in a Free Society, by Edward Carpenter.
This LibriVox recording is in the public domain."
[Optional: "Read by your name."]
"Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #."
[Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Homogenic Love and Its Place in a Free Society, by Edward Carpenter."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: homogeniclove_#_carpenter_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. homogeniclove_1_carpenter_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Kitty

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by jakemalizia on December 5th, 2021, 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

Another Carpenter work to add to the catalog. It's just a short one.

vviera has kindly agreed to DPL for me :mrgreen:
vviera

Post by vviera »

Right-o, mate.
I'll be away April 16-22.
Voy a estar fuera el 16-22 de abril.

Cheers, VERLA
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hi Jake :) I can set this up. Looks like a short project. And I see you already have a DPL :thumbs:

MW coming up...

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

MW is set up and ready to be filled out.

Since the team is complete, I will move us over to Going Solo.

Sonia
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

And we're off! Here is Section 1:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/homogeniclove_1_carpenter_128kb.mp3 - 15:17

I have given myself quite a fair amount of creative licence with regard to when and how to include footnotes, if at all. And where there's an obvious error in the text I've tried to make sense of it. I hope you don't think I've overstepped too much with any of these things.
vviera

Post by vviera »

jakemalizia wrote: December 4th, 2021, 1:16 pm And we're off! Here is Section 1:

I have given myself quite a fair amount of creative licence with regard to when and how to include footnotes, if at all. And where there's an obvious error in the text I've tried to make sense of it. I hope you don't think I've overstepped too much with any of these things.
I'm still behind on PL. Carry on, and I'll catch up at some point.
V

Cheers, VERLA
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

jakemalizia wrote: December 4th, 2021, 1:16 pmI have given myself quite a fair amount of creative licence with regard to when and how to include footnotes, if at all. And where there's an obvious error in the text I've tried to make sense of it. I hope you don't think I've overstepped too much with any of these things.
oooh tricky...regarding footnotes, yes, you can include them or leave them out as you see fit.

But changing the text is another matter....we "read as the author wrote" unless it's an obvious typo or something. It's not permitted to really edit it a lot. Could you give me an example ? Or maybe your DPL is pointing the discrepancies out and then I can check whether it's ok to change it.

Best really not to change too much.

Sonia
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

Kitty wrote: December 4th, 2021, 1:21 pm
jakemalizia wrote: December 4th, 2021, 1:16 pmI have given myself quite a fair amount of creative licence with regard to when and how to include footnotes, if at all. And where there's an obvious error in the text I've tried to make sense of it. I hope you don't think I've overstepped too much with any of these things.
oooh tricky...regarding footnotes, yes, you can include them or leave them out as you see fit.

But changing the text is another matter....we "read as the author wrote" unless it's an obvious typo or something. It's not permitted to really edit it a lot. Could you give me an example ? Or maybe your DPL is pointing the discrepancies out and then I can check whether it's ok to change it.

Best really not to change too much.

Sonia
No problem, I'll see what Verla thinks when she comes to PL it. It's just on one or two occasions there was a typing error where a few letters were missing, but from the context it's obvious what the word should be. If I had said the text verbatim it would have been a nonsense word :lol:

I'll see what my esteemed PL'er thinks - I'm happy to go back and change it.
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

vviera wrote: December 4th, 2021, 1:20 pm
jakemalizia wrote: December 4th, 2021, 1:16 pm And we're off! Here is Section 1:

I'm still behind on PL. Carry on, and I'll catch up at some point.
V
No problem. There's no rush at all on this - it can wait as long as needed.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

jakemalizia wrote: December 4th, 2021, 1:26 pmIt's just on one or two occasions there was a typing error where a few letters were missing, but from the context it's obvious what the word should be. If I had said the text verbatim it would have been a nonsense word :lol:
ok no, that is "obvious typo" and you can change that of course. I misunderstood then, I thought you were doing bigger editorial changes on sentences so they made more sense. But no...typos is fine, of course.

No worries then

Sonia
vviera

Post by vviera »

Jake -

I am guessing that at 13:09, where there are missing letters, based on the spacing and the sense, the word should be "allows." What do you think about that?

Otherwise, all good. Thanks for an enjoyable read.
Verla

Cheers, VERLA
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

vviera wrote: December 5th, 2021, 9:38 am Jake -

I am guessing that at 13:09, where there are missing letters, based on the spacing and the sense, the word should be "allows." What do you think about that?

Verla
Did I say "follows", I can't remember? :hmm:
Yeah, I think you are likely correct with "allows". I'll edit that soon.

Thanks!
vviera

Post by vviera »

jakemalizia wrote: December 5th, 2021, 12:26 pm
vviera wrote: December 5th, 2021, 9:38 am Jake -

Verla
Did I say "follows", I can't remember? :hmm:
Yeah, I think you are likely correct with "allows". I'll edit that soon.

Thanks!
Yes, it was "follows."

Cheers, VERLA
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

Section 1 now ready for spot PL at 13:09 :thumbs:

Section 2 is also up:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/homogeniclove_2_carpenter_128kb.mp3 - 18:30

No rush, of course.