COMPLETE Solo Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, translated by Jessie L Weston-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight A Middle-English Arthurian Romance Retold in Modern Prose, with Introduction & Notes, by Unknown, translated by Jessie Laidlay Weston (1850 - 1928)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/sir-gawain-and-the-green-knight-by-jessie-laidlay-weston/
This poem celebrates Christmas by exploring the mystery of Christ's mission on earth: his death, resurrection, and second coming as judge of all human souls. Sir Gawain is cast in the role of Everyman. At the feast of the New Year, an unarmed green giant rides his green horse into the banqueting hall of King Arthur and challenges any member of the assembled company to behead him with a huge axe and then to submit to the same treatment from his victim the next year. Gawain volunteers to prevent Arthur from accepting this challenge, fairly confident that the challenger will be unfit to return the blow. However, when the green knight rides out of the hall carrying his severed head, Gawain must wait a year under what amounts to a sentence of death. At the end of this period his quest for the green knight leads him first through perilous adventures comparable to the life-threatening dangers confronting all mortals in their earthly sojourn and then, when his travels are at an end, through a series of temptations that represent allegorically the spiritual challenges determining not the time of death but the fortunes of the soul after death. The spot where Gawain then meets his foe closely resembles a graveyard superintended by the green knight, now converted, in effect, from a victim into a judge, as Christ was murdered by mankind but survived to be our judge at the end of time. A couple early footnotes may help in appreciating two details in the conclusion of the tale: First, Catholics believe that to perform the sacrament of Confession while intending to commit another sin deprives the priest's absolution of effect. Second, it was generally believed, in the Middle Ages and even today, that evil spirits cannot cross running water. This belief appears in "Tam Lin," "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow," and The Lord of the Rings. (Summary by Thomas Copeland)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/66084/pg66084-images.html

Target completion date: 2021-12-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight A Middle-English Arthurian Romance Retold in Modern Prose, with Introduction & Notes. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight A Middle-English Arthurian Romance Retold in Modern Prose, with Introduction & Notes, by Unknown, translated by Jessie Laidlay Weston. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight A Middle-English Arthurian Romance Retold in Modern Prose, with Introduction & Notes, by Jessie Laidlay Weston. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight A Middle-English Arthurian Romance Retold in Modern Prose, with Introduction & Notes, by Jessie Laidlay Weston."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: sirgawain_##_unknown_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. sirgawain_01_unknown_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: maryannspiegel

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by chymocles on November 30th, 2021, 10:23 am, edited 6 times in total.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

I would love to DPL this one :)
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

I'd be happy to MC this for you. I'll get your MW set up.

MaryAnn
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

I've got them all queued :)
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Thanks, Lynette. And Mary Ann, I have edited my summary of the poem.

Tom
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Hi, Tom - Section 0 is PL OK :thumbs:

Section 1 has one spot where the volume is significantly lower and difficult to hear, from 3:08 - 3:13. It doesn't seem like an effects spot - perhaps an edited sentence that came in quieter than the surrounding area?
~Lynette * -
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Fixed. Correct diagnosis.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/gawainandthegreenknight_01_weston_128kb.mp3

Lynette, I wonder if you have noticed that the recordings are too sibilant. To me they seem to hiss shrilly when I wear my hearing aids.

Thanks,

Tom
Last edited by chymocles on November 28th, 2021, 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Perfect now :) Section 1 is PL OK :thumbs:
~Lynette * -
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Section 2 is PL OK :thumbs:
~Lynette * -
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Part 3 is finished.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/gawainandthegreenknight_03_weston_128kb.mp3

Enjoy. This is the most fun of all the parts.

Tom
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Section 3 is PL OK :thumbs:

Quite the ladies' man. :)
~Lynette * -
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

But for all his courtesy, he loses the battle—which is why we must all depend on mercy on Judgment Day.

The last section is ready for PL: https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/gawainandthegreenknight_04_weston_128kb.mp3

My next task will be the cover, and then Lord Peter, but I'm afraid that cannot be completed till after I am back in the USA; I hope to arrive before Monday.

Tom
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

To Mary Ann:

I have given my final tweaks to the summary:
This poem celebrates Christmas by exploring the mystery of Christ's mission on earth: his death, resurrection, and second coming as judge of all human souls. Sir Gawain is cast in the role of Everyman. At the feast of the New Year, an unarmed green giant rides his green horse into the banqueting hall of King Arthur and challenges any member of the assembled company to behead him with a huge axe and then to submit to the same treatment from his victim the next year. Gawain volunteers to prevent Arthur from accepting this challenge, fairly confident that the challenger will be unfit to return the blow. However, when the green knight rides out of the hall carrying his severed head, Gawain must wait a year under what amounts to a sentence of death. At the end of this period his quest for the green knight leads him first through perilous adventures comparable to the life-threatening dangers confronting all mortals in their earthly sojourn and then, when his travels are at an end, through a series of temptations that represent allegorically the spiritual challenges determining not the time of death but the fortunes of the soul after death. The spot where Gawain then meets his foe closely resembles a graveyard superintended by the green knight, now converted, in effect, from a victim into a judge, as Christ was murdered by mankind but survived to be our judge at the end of time. A couple early footnotes may help in appreciating two details in the conclusion of the tale: First, Catholics believe that to perform the sacrament of Confession while intending to commit another sin deprives the priest's absolution of effect. Second, it was generally believed, in the Middle Ages and even today, that evil spirits cannot cross running water. This belief appears in "Tam Lin," "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow," and The Lord of the Rings. (Summary by Thomas Copeland)
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Section 5 is PL OK :thumbs:

And: Boom! You've finished another audiobook :clap:

Very nicely recorded.
~Lynette * -