[COMPLETE] Andersonville by John McElroy - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Andersonville: A Story of Rebel Military Prisons, by John McElroy (1846 - 1929)

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/andersonville-a-story-by-john-mcelroy/
A comprehensive four-volume history of one soldier's 15 months in Andersonville Prison during the Civil War. The book is divided into 83 chapters, each with a different event witnessed during the author's incarceration. Andersonville was a notoriously cruel Confederate prisoner camp, with many of the Union soldiers imprisoned dying due to the deplorable conditions within. All four volumes will be covered as a complete book. [CHAPTER LXXXI. Written by a Rev. Sheppard and omitted in this edition.]
(Summary by Jeffery Smith)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://gutenberg.org/ebooks/3072
Target completion date: 2022-03-31
Prooflistening level: Standard Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.
IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated). Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

[/list] ========================================
Genres for the project: *Non-fiction; *Non-fiction/War & Military; *Non-fiction/History/Modern (19th C) Keywords that describe the book: civil war, andersonville, prison camp, confederate
========================================
LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording: Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning. For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Andersonville: A Story of Rebel Military Prisons. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Andersonville: A Story of Rebel Military Prisons, by John McElroy. Section Title."

For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Andersonville: A Story of Rebel Military Prisons, by John McElroy. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."

End of recording: Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Andersonville: A Story of Rebel Military Prisons, by John McElroy."

Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.
Filename: andersonvilleastory_##_mcelroy_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. andersonvilleastory_01_mcelroy_128kb.mp3) Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: craigdav1
Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by neecheelok70 on September 26th, 2023, 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

MW coming up.

edit: I shortened the file name. Long ones cause problems.
JefferySmith

Post by JefferySmith »

Sounds good. Seems like I did the same thing with a long name before. In the 1800s, they liked long names (like the ridiculous one Melville attached at the end of Moby Dick's title.

Jeff
Jeffery Smith
Chula Vista, CA
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Record at your own pace and as you are the BC you will need to enter the information in the MW.
JefferySmith

Post by JefferySmith »

Will do! Thanks for everything Dave.
Jeffery Smith
Chula Vista, CA
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Moving topic to Going Solo forum to keep the Launch Pad tidy.
JefferySmith

Post by JefferySmith »

Dave,
I cannot figure out what is going wrong. I posted the introduction through the uploader, went to the MW, and it is there (13+ minutes long) but it is total silence on my computer. Help!
Jeffery Smith
Chula Vista, CA
JefferySmith

Post by JefferySmith »

Okay, I figured it out. It just wouldn't play through my interface. It does have sound through my computer speakers.
Jeffery Smith
Chula Vista, CA
JefferySmith

Post by JefferySmith »

The introduction is uploaded (finally!).

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/andersonvilleastory_00_mcelroy_128kb.mp3

Recording time: 13'46"

Thanks!!!
Jeffery Smith
Chula Vista, CA
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

In the intro you say "section 1." This is section 0. Rather than say "section 0" you could say "introduction" and then say "chapter x" for all future sections. Otherwise pl ok!
JefferySmith

Post by JefferySmith »

Got it. I'll have to do it in the morning or else wait until the renovations on the house next door are halted for lunch or dinner.

JLS
Jeffery Smith
Chula Vista, CA
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

If you decide to read the preface you could add it at the end of this section (Introduction and Preface) or put it at the beginning of the next section (Preface and Chapter 1). If you decide not to read the preface then of course the next section will be "Chapter 1."
JefferySmith

Post by JefferySmith »

GAAA! There are two prefaces, the second being the Author's Preface. Can we insert another section in the MW in the No. two position?
Jeffery Smith
Chula Vista, CA
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

I only see one preface (Author's) followed by a poem. Regardless, to keep the section and chapter numbers identical I would add the preface(s) and poem either to the end of Section 0 (called "Introduction and Preface") or at the beginning of Section 1 ("Preface and Chapter 1"). Section 2 would then be Chapter 2, Section 3 is Chapter 3, etc.
JefferySmith

Post by JefferySmith »

The intro I did this morning is before the author's preface (and I think that ends with a poem). Let me combine them and change the first few lines and last few lines of the intro. That we we can hang onto the single section.

Good idea!
Jeffery Smith
Chula Vista, CA