[COMPLETE]Tom Swift and His War Tank by Victor Appleton - ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
NathanPFry

Post by NathanPFry »

Chapter 4 When I amplified to 93 dB I got a warning from Checker to keep it under 92, so i have it at 91.7

12:22

https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/tomswiftwartank_04_appleton_128kb.mp3
NathanPFry

Post by NathanPFry »

Chapter 3 - ok, this should be the final. Re-edited and deleted all the unnatural pauses and also applied the recommended effects to levelize the vocals a bit and got volume to 91.9 dB so passed checker in the green

9:58

https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/tomswiftwartank_03_appleton_128kb.mp3
msfry

Post by msfry »

Chapters 3 and 4 are PL OK Good job!

I will make a few comments, however regarding your volume, which is inconsistent between sections such that a listener may well have to raise or lower their volume level as they proceed from one chapter to another.
Checker reports:
Ch 1 90.5 db
Ch 2 87.9 db
Ch 3 91.9 db
Ch 4 91.7 db
You can see that the volume difference between Ch 2 and 3 is 4 db. LV's range is from 86 to 92 so the files do clear Checker, but the median we shoot for is 89, and especially on a solo where the reader is able to adjust all their files, you can get them to more closely match. This result becomes more reliable when you get your recording set-up stabilized.
On Chapter 3, your volume goes from loud to soft to loud to soft. You can see this on the wave form and hear it too. For example at :30 it jumps from -2 (off the median of 89) to +4. This is because one of the characters is exclaiming something. Later it goes way down because a character is musing to themselves. The trick is to convey shouting and whispering without actually altering your volume more that +/- 1,5 db. I think it has to do with moving closer and further from the mike. Good luck with that. It what makes recording such a fun (or exasperating) challenge.
At Librivox, these details are left up to the reader to fix. I mention them only because you have asked me for coaching tips, and a professional reader would have to attend to these details.
So far so good. I look forward to hearing more chapters soon.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Nathan's house has flooded and he has asked me to put this project on hold. He is still interested but his recording studio is torn down for an undetermined time.
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Oh, dear! I am sorry to hear that. I will put this on hold and move it off the forum. Just PM any MC to pull it back out when ready.
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
msfry

Post by msfry »

m8b1 wrote: May 27th, 2021, 9:11 am Oh, dear! I am sorry to hear that. I will put this on hold and move it off the forum. Just PM any MC to pull it back out when ready.
Thanks, I will let him know. :thumbs:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Moved to the Launch Pad per MsFry's PM. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Do you want me to pick this up as an MC or do you have other plans?

Anne
msfry

Post by msfry »

annise wrote: October 18th, 2021, 5:16 pm Do you want me to pick this up as an MC or do you have other plans?

Anne
Maria says she can't do it again right now, so yes indeed, please do.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

All done. You'll need to change the soloist bit to the group bit (about the time given for recordings to be submitted. And if you can give some sort of summary it does help readers decide to sign on. I'll move it to readers wanted then - Short books do you think ?

Anne
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Hi Michele
Do you know the dates of the author?
Some of us need to know to make sure it is PD :?
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It was written 1n 1918 and it was part of the Stratemeyer Syndicate. It is my understanding that the writers didn't get any rights - no one knows who wrote what and any copyright was held by the publishers - so it's like much of the early sci fi magazines - the authors were paid to write and lost any ownership.

Anne - who is not an international copyright lawyer :D
msfry

Post by msfry »

annise wrote: October 18th, 2021, 11:48 pm All done. You'll need to change the soloist bit to the group bit (about the time given for recordings to be submitted. And if you can give some sort of summary it does help readers decide to sign on. I'll move it to readers wanted then - Short books do you think ?

Anne
All of the chapters are short. I'll give a page count later today, and a summary. Readers Wanted: Books should do it.
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Hi there Anne and Michele,

I had so much fun with Tom and his Motorcycle and I just can't resist getting back into his life again. So, might I claim Chapter 5 please?

Thanks,

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
msfry

Post by msfry »

Chapter 5 is yours, Wayne. The first 4 chapters were quite interesting! I'll be reading the book as I proof-listen, so take all you want. The chapters are only 10-12 minutes long.