Complete(Solo) THE LOST VALLEY by ALGERNON BLACKWOOD-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
JWowsers

Post by JWowsers »

The Lost Valley, by Algernon Blackwood (1869 - 1951)
A set of twin brothers have spent every waking moment of their lives together and are terrified of separating. However, when both men set their desires upon a mysterious young woman, the deep bonds of their relationship become marred. (Summary by Jarrod Wetzel-Brown )
• This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-lost-valley-by-algernon-blackwood/

Source text (please read only from this text!): https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=hvd.32044086875077&view=1up&seq=29&skin=2021

Target completion date: 2021-12-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Horror & Supernatural Fiction; Short Stories; General Fiction/Published 1900 onward

Keywords that describe the book: horror, twins, dark romance

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Lost Valley. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Lost Valley, by Algernon Blackwood. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Lost Valley, by Algernon Blackwood. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Lost Valley, by Algernon Blackwood."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: lostvalley_##_blackwood_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. lostvalley_01_blackwood_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: alg1001

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Jarrod,
I'll MC this for you. I'll send you a message with information on being a soloist and accessing and using the magic window.
Cheers,
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi people! Could I DPL?
JWowsers

Post by JWowsers »

Rapunzelina wrote: October 19th, 2021, 11:59 am Hi people! Could I DPL?
Dear Rapunzelina,

If alg1001/Amy is alright with that, I would be delighted to have you be the Dedicated Proof Listener! Thank you for volunteering, and I look forward to receiving your comments! :clap:

With gratitude,

Jwowsers
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Rapunzelina is added as DPL. I'll move you to going solo.
Have a great day!
-Amy :)
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Thank you, both!

I'm looking forward to the story!

Section 1 is PL OK!

I'd like to mention, in case you hadn't noticed, that for the second and subsequent sections you can use the abbreviated disclaimer, especially since the sections are generally short.

You can mark the sections "Ready for PL" in the last ("Status") column of the MW table. I've now marked the first one PL OK! :thumbs:
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Sections 2 and 3 are PL OK! Warm, emotive reading!
JWowsers

Post by JWowsers »

Rapunzelina wrote: October 26th, 2021, 9:43 am Sections 2 and 3 are PL OK! Warm, emotive reading!
Dear Rapunzelina,

Thank you so much for the information, and I realized that the abbreviated intro probably would have been a better option. However, since I have done it for the first three, do you think I should continue with the full introduction?

This is my first solo project, so I am still learning. Also, I SO appreciate your kind and encouraging words. If you have any suggestions on how to improve my delivery and reading, please do feel free to pass them along!

With light and gratitude,

JWowsers (Jarrod)
JWowsers

Post by JWowsers »

Dear Rapunzelina and Alg1001,

Thank you both for your continued patience and aid with this project. As I was recording Section 4, I ran into a wee problem-- the pdf has missing pages! :shock: I was able to find a second pdf that had the missing pages, but I was not sure if this is the best thing to do. Here is the PDF: https://web.archive.org/web/20061030044121/http://www.horrormasters.com/Text/a1348.pdf

Anyways, I am using the FIRST PDF for the reading and only referring to the aforementioned link in case there is a mess-up with the scanned pages. If this is not the thing to do, please do let me know how to proceed. Sorry, again, and I appreciate your guidance!

Please enjoy your All Hallows' Eve! :D

With light,

JWowsers
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I think it's OK to use the pdf for the missing pages. The rest of the text is identical. Please also wait for confirmation from Amy on the point.

As for the intro, I personally like consistency, but really it's up to you. The options are three and the choice is yours:
- continue with the full intro
- continue with the short intro
- go back to the second and subsequent sections to insert short intro and continue with the short intro.

A good thing about using the full intro is that, if for whatever reason you're unable to continue with the project, it can be turned into a group one, which use the full disclaimer so there'll be consistency.
A good thing about using the short intro is that it's short :mrgreen:

Section 4 is PL OK!
JWowsers

Post by JWowsers »

Rapunzelina wrote: October 28th, 2021, 1:52 pm I think it's OK to use the pdf for the missing pages. The rest of the text is identical. Please also wait for confirmation from Amy on the point.

As for the intro, I personally like consistency, but really it's up to you. The options are three and the choice is yours:
- continue with the full intro
- continue with the short intro
- go back to the second and subsequent sections to insert short intro and continue with the short intro.

A good thing about using the full intro is that, if for whatever reason you're unable to continue with the project, it can be turned into a group one, which use the full disclaimer so there'll be consistency.
A good thing about using the short intro is that it's short :mrgreen:

Section 4 is PL OK!
Dear Rapunzelina,

Thank you SO much, and you are so right! I will stick to the full intro, and that is good for me to remember in the future. Also, I will wait for feedback from Amy! Have a great evening, and I thank you for PLing! :clap:

With gratitude,

JWowsers
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

I agree about using just the missing pages in this situation.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Sections 5 and 6 are PL OK! All is going great!
JWowsers

Post by JWowsers »

Rapunzelina wrote: October 31st, 2021, 7:29 am Sections 5 and 6 are PL OK! All is going great!
Dear Rapunzelina,

Thank you so much for your patience these past few weeks and for navigating two texts-- I am grateful for your proofreading prowess! :mrgreen: Section 7 has been added, and I hope to record more later this week!

I hope you both are well, and take good care!

With light and gratitude,

JWowsers (Jarrod)
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi Jarrod, I'm not able to check files right now, but don't let that stop you from uploading more :D Keep going and I'll catch up later.

Take care :9: