COMPLETE[PLAY] Lady Frederick by W. Somerset Maugham - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Lady Frederick, a Comedy in Three Acts, by W. Somerset Maugham (1874 - 1965)

Volunteers outside the USA: W. Somerset Maugham died in 1965. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 50 years; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
(To be edited!) This is being run as a reader request. From Wikipedia: Lady Frederick is a comedy by the British writer W. Somerset Maugham, written early in his career. The play was first seen in London in 1907, and was very successful, running for 422 performances. The title role was played by Ethel Irving. In New York it was first performed in 1908, with Lady Frederick played by Ethel Barrymore, who reprised her role in the play's film adaptation, The Divorcee. In the play, Lady Frederick is an Irish widow, seriously in debt; she must deal with suitors who have various motives for proposing marriage, and with the man with whom she once had an affair. (Summary by Lynette Caulkins)
This project is complete. Audio files can be found on the Librivox catalog page at https://librivox.org/lady-frederick-a-comedy-in-three-acts-by-w-somerset-maugham/

Editor: LCaulkins
Stage Directions: LCaulkins
DPL Roles: sacapsie
DPL Completed Acts: sacapsie

Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/37962
(The other two plays in this book will be run consecutively after this one is finished.)

Heads up: the play has several name typos within the stage directions. Eg., Mereston is at times written as Mererston. You will need to scan down the whole script rather than rely on the Find feature to jump to your next line.

We are not doubling roles at this time.

Let's gender match for now.

Pronunciations: Pair-a-deen Folds, Meerston

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming roles: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available roles. Post a reply in this thread asking for the role you would like to record.
Please note: All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Special
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
  • Project Code: QbajFqi4
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Somerset_Maugham (W. Somerset Maugham)
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 36
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
  • Original publication date (if known):
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
  • Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

Genres for the project: Plays/Comedy; Plays

Keywords that describe the book: comedy, drama, somerset maugham

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

For individual roles:
Submit one file per act. At the beginning of the first file, say:
"Character, read by your name."
Leave 3-5 seconds of space between your lines (room noise, not generated silence).

For narration/stage directions:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Act # of Lady Frederick, a Comedy in Three Acts, by W. Somerset Maugham. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
At the end of each file say:
"End of Act #."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Lady Frederick, a Comedy in Three Acts, by W. Somerset Maugham."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename:
For individual roles: ladyfrederick_role_#.mp3 where # is the act number. (e.g. ladyfrederick_romeo_1.mp3)
For final files: ladyfrederick_#_maugham_128kb.mp3 where # is the act number. (e.g. ladyfrederick_1_maugham_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: toddhw

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by LCaulkins on April 14th, 2022, 8:23 am, edited 13 times in total.
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
sacapsie

Post by sacapsie »

Private sacapsie reporting for duty!
JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

I would like to do the Footman role, please.
Jim in Ohio

I will be away from the studio from April 21st through April 28th.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I'll MC. Setting up MW now.

Thanks, Todd
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Thank you, Todd!
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

MW ready for you.

Thanks, Todd
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

sacapsie wrote: October 15th, 2021, 8:12 am Private sacapsie reporting for duty!
OK, sacapsie :)

This is actually fun that we have the requester as our DPL!

You can see that I inserted a line designating the DPL Zone on the Magic Window, where I'll move sections that will need your attention. When readers submit files for their roles, I'll load those into the parts in your zone, and mark them Ready for PL. If you can attend to them as soon as possible, we have a better chance at catching readers to fix something than if it sits for a week or more. :wink:

Things to screen:
  • The technical specs. I find the Checker tool super handy for that.
  • Role recordings do not get the LibriVox intro or outro on them, but the first file for a character should begin with their voice credit. For this play, I've asked them in their notes to record the full name for the credit, so can you check that? (I wanted to keep the title box for the way they'll find their character name in the play script.)
  • Readers do not need to announce "Act 1," etc, for the files. Some editors want that removed. I don't mind if it's there, as I catch it in my process of prepping the files at editing time. But if you can let the reader know that for Plays and DRs, they do not need to include that marker, that would be handy.
  • Watch the source while listening to their lines to make sure they don't leave anything out, or make a word slip that changes the meaning. There should be 4-5 seconds between their lines, and if a stage direction is inserted in the middle of a line, that should have a space, too.
And that's it for the role files. :) If a file is good to go, change the last box to "PL OK," and I'll move the section to its proper Act area in the Editor's Zone. If they need to fix anything, change the last box to "See PL Notes." Either way, after that, go into the discussion area and find the post where they listed their uploaded file that you PLd, quote that posting so they get a notification, and let them know it's PL OK, or tell them what they need to edit.

It'll be a while before we get to the completed Acts, but when you do those, you'll watch the source again as you listen, to make sure that I don't fumble anything with the order of the lines. I do also like commentary if you notice big jumps in volume or weird spacing issues between voices, although I proof the tracks, also, before I upload them.
~Lynette * -
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

JHedrick wrote: October 15th, 2021, 4:03 pm I would like to do the Footman role, please.
He's yours :)
~Lynette * -
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

OK, Todd - this can move to Readers Wanted
~Lynette * -
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I'd like to be an Admiral. I shall try not to sing G&S....

Thanks, Todd
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

ToddHW wrote: October 15th, 2021, 6:53 pm I'd like to be an Admiral. I shall try not to sing G&S....

Thanks, Todd
Haha!! Now that image is flooding my mind, of course. . .

He's yours!
~Lynette * -
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

I can happily do the Marquess of Mereston! :)
Tomas Peter
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

WiltedScribe wrote: October 15th, 2021, 7:17 pm I can happily do the Marquess of Mereston! :)
Super!
~Lynette * -
sacapsie

Post by sacapsie »

LCaulkins wrote: October 15th, 2021, 6:43 pm
sacapsie wrote: October 15th, 2021, 8:12 am Private sacapsie reporting for duty!
OK, sacapsie :)

This is actually fun that we have the requester as our DPL!

You can see that I inserted a line designating the DPL Zone on the Magic Window, where I'll move sections that will need your attention. When readers submit files for their roles, I'll load those into the parts in your zone, and mark them Ready for PL. If you can attend to them as soon as possible, we have a better chance at catching readers to fix something than if it sits for a week or more. :wink:

[SNIP]

It'll be a while before we get to the completed Acts, but when you do those, you'll watch the source again as you listen, to make sure that I don't fumble anything with the order of the lines. I do also like commentary if you notice big jumps in volume or weird spacing issues between voices, although I proof the tracks, also, before I upload them.
Yep, I think I can handle all this. What a fun way to get to know this play, too!
feminerdist

Post by feminerdist »

Lady Mereston, please!