~[MUSIC]J.S. Bach, Volume 2 by A. Schweitzer d1965-mtf

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I hate to do this, but life continues to make demands upon me, and I haven't been able to get back to this project at all for a long time. It might be best to put it officially on hold for a little while, unless someone else want to adopt it. It seems like a tease to still have it listed in Readers Wanted when, seriously, the MW isn't even complete, still. :?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I'll MC this, since I'm already acquainted with the project as it stands. I'll get everything set up shortly. For now, I'll try to answer your questions:
Mozartjr wrote: September 28th, 2021, 7:18 am Seeing as you were previous BC, could you explain a little how the magic window works? what does what mean? It just seems a little confusing at first glance... it looks like there is a section per part for narration, and a section per part for music. Also, has any of the music been recorded and/or edited in to the narration recordings?
Also, I saw that you said in the previous thread that the MW still isn't finished... what isn't finished with it?
Thanks,
Mozartjr
I'll answer your last question first. If you go look at the Table of Contents and compare it to the MW, you'll notice that there are several chapters (I don't remember off the top of my head how many) that are not in the MW anywhere. When this project was set up, the original BC was partway through planning out section breaks when they realized the book was not PD for them. The person who volunteered to step in with me as co-BC thought the section breakdown was complete until I noticed it wasn't. I ended up entering in a few more chapters, but it was a time-consuming process to figure out where and how to divide chapters, as well as make note of which chapters needed what musical insertions. So I never quite finished the process.

As near as I can remember, there is a section per chapter for narration and a section per chapter for instrumental music. Some chapters also have vocals, in which case there is one section for each voice part needed. The numbering system we used for each musical insertion was [page number][letter]. The letter is important if there is more than one bit of music on the same page. For instance, suppose page 84 has four different snippets of music. Those would be considered 84a, 84b, 84c, and 84d. We used this system to make it easier to communicate. So, say the DPL is listening to a completed chapter and there is only a gap instead of music on page 84, they could easily say which piece is missing.

Some of the music has been completed for this, but most has not.
erieston

Post by erieston »

I love classical music, so I would be more than willing to lend a hand in any way needed to help! I can also help out with vocals if needed (female, mezzo soprano).

This will be awesome; I can't wait to see how it all turns out!
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

This looks like an exciting project! High soprano here and would be glad to lend my voice to any vocal parts.
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ok, this should be back up and running. All of the links in the MW should work, but if you come across a broken link, let me know. I've entered Mozartjr as BC and also the author of the first post, so that you can change things there as needed. Once you've checked in to this thread, I will delete the other one in the Launch Pad, the one that is now locked.

I'll ask interested readers (and singers!) to hold off on claiming for now while we make sure that we're really ready to roll.

Mozart, I do have a couple of questions for you that I maybe should have asked a little bit sooner:
1) Who will be creating the music?
2) Who will be editing the music into each section?
If you don't plan on doing this yourself, I may be able to take it on. But I would prefer not to, at this point, especially not the first part.

Looking again at the MW and the book itself, it appears that I did make a bit more progress on the MW than I recall. It looks like I did actually complete breaking down the rest of the chapters and entering those for the readers' recordings. But I did not go through each section to identify the musical bits in each one and enter sections for the music and/or singers after chapter 33. Are you prepared to do that? I am very willing to help you out with this, but not prepared to complete all of it myself.
Mozartjr

Post by Mozartjr »

mightyfelix wrote: September 28th, 2021, 7:17 pm Ok, this should be back up and running. All of the links in the MW should work, but if you come across a broken link, let me know. I've entered Mozartjr as BC and also the author of the first post, so that you can change things there as needed. Once you've checked in to this thread, I will delete the other one in the Launch Pad, the one that is now locked.

I'll ask interested readers (and singers!) to hold off on claiming for now while we make sure that we're really ready to roll.

Mozart, I do have a couple of questions for you that I maybe should have asked a little bit sooner:
1) Who will be creating the music?
2) Who will be editing the music into each section?
If you don't plan on doing this yourself, I may be able to take it on. But I would prefer not to, at this point, especially not the first part.

Looking again at the MW and the book itself, it appears that I did make a bit more progress on the MW than I recall. It looks like I did actually complete breaking down the rest of the chapters and entering those for the readers' recordings. But I did not go through each section to identify the musical bits in each one and enter sections for the music and/or singers after chapter 33. Are you prepared to do that? I am very willing to help you out with this, but not prepared to complete all of it myself.
I thought that people just sing the music, but I suppose that if there no words to sing, that wouldn't work! :P JakeMalitzia already offered to do the music, so he could probably play the music on piano and submit it. I would be more than happy to myself, but I don't have time... Is that what you are asking? I think how I will probably do (if this works) is that Jake will play the music, and then if there are words to sing along, someone will have to volunteer to sing the words (there have already been a few, so they will get first shot at it.)
ColdFire2112 is going to edit the music into the sections. He posted a thread viewtopic.php?f=21&t=89228 volunteering to do that type of thing, so I thought that would work.
I'm willing to identify the music parts for the chapters after 33, but you might have to help me along a little bit with exactly how you did it-- I think I understand, but I might still mess it up!
Thanks,
Mozartjr
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

All I can really offer is producing digital recordings for some of the excerpts - not acoustic recordings. Similar to how the excerpts were on my solo (Art of Music Vol.1)
I realise this won't work for any excerpts with text, because they'll need to be sung, I guess?
It really depends how you want it done.

If there are people who have the capacity to do "real" recordings, rather than just me inputting notes into notation software, I defer to them :lol:
I guess we can cross that bridge when it comes to it.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

The music we already have submitted was created with MuseScore. I don't think it really matters whether the music is digital or "real." It's not there to be a work of art in itself, it's there to illustrate the author's point (in this context).
erieston

Post by erieston »

I have a local university that has some pianos so I might be able to record piano version of the music. I'm not sure how the audio would turn out though...
Mozartjr

Post by Mozartjr »

Let's do this. How about Jake makes the digital piano recordings and music to go along with the singing, and erieston and jennlea split the female vocals. We will, of course, need some men for some of the vocals, but we can advertise for that. How's that? Is everyone still available and willing to help?
Last edited by Mozartjr on October 1st, 2021, 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mozartjr

Post by Mozartjr »

jakemalizia wrote: September 29th, 2021, 11:47 pm All I can really offer is producing digital recordings for some of the excerpts - not acoustic recordings. Similar to how the excerpts were on my solo (Art of Music Vol.1)
I realise this won't work for any excerpts with text, because they'll need to be sung, I guess?

If there are people who have the capacity to do "real" recordings, rather than just me inputting notes into notation software, I defer to them :lol:
Could you make the digital piano and music recordings to go along with the singing?
Mozartjr

Post by Mozartjr »

erieston wrote: September 28th, 2021, 4:56 pm I love classical music, so I would be more than willing to lend a hand in any way needed to help! I can also help out with vocals if needed (female, mezzo soprano).

This will be awesome; I can't wait to see how it all turns out!
Would you be willing to split the female vocal parts with jennlea?
Last edited by Mozartjr on October 1st, 2021, 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mozartjr

Post by Mozartjr »

jennlea wrote: September 28th, 2021, 5:19 pm This looks like an exciting project! High soprano here and would be glad to lend my voice to any vocal parts.
Would you be willing to split the female vocals with erieston?
Last edited by Mozartjr on October 1st, 2021, 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

Mozartjr wrote: October 1st, 2021, 7:19 am
jakemalizia wrote: September 29th, 2021, 11:47 pm All I can really offer is producing digital recordings for some of the excerpts - not acoustic recordings. Similar to how the excerpts were on my solo (Art of Music Vol.1)

Could you make the digital piano and music recordings to go along with the singing?
Yeah, sure :)
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Mozartjr wrote: October 1st, 2021, 7:20 am
jennlea wrote: September 28th, 2021, 5:19 pm This looks like an exciting project! High soprano here and would be glad to lend my voice to any vocal parts.
Would you be willing to split the female vocals with erieston?
Of course :)
-Jenn B.
My Recordings