COMPLETE: Kari the Elephant by Dhan Gopal Mukerji -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Mahimaraj

Post by Mahimaraj »

Kari the Elephant, by Dhan Gopal Mukerji (1890 - 1936)

This project is now complete.  All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/kari-the-elephant-by-dhan-gopal-mukerji-2/

Kari the Elephant is a 1922 work by Dhan Gopal Mukerji. The book is the first among those written in English by an Indian author in the category of children's literature. Kari the Elephant is a bildungsroman narrative that unravels the replationship shared by the protagonist boy and Kari the elephant and the adventures the boy, along with Kari and Kope, the pet monkey go through living by the edge of the forest is quite mesmerizing. Their relationship grows stronger with each adventure and their lives defy the boundaries between human and animal society. Set in a colonial Indian village, the treatment of nature and natural life along with the infiltration of capitalist mindset runs as a background to this narrative that eventually endangers this unique relationship the boy and Kari share.
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/24460

Target completion date: 2021-12-30

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in the process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: Children's Fiction/Animals & Nature; Children's Fiction/Action & Adventure

Keywords that describe the book: boy and the elephant, jungle adventures, India before independence, child's perspective of the forest, nature and man relationship

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Kari the Elephant. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Kari the Elephant, by Dhan Gopal Mukerji. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Kari the Elephant, by Dhan Gopal Mukerji. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Kari the Elephant, by Dhan Gopal Mukerji."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: karitheelephant_##_mukerji_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. karitheelephant_01_mukerji_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: knotyouraveragejo

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by Mahimaraj on November 30th, 2021, 3:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mahimaraj

Post by Mahimaraj »

Is the ID and PASSWORD for the file uploader the same as my LibriVox ID and password?
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi.  Welcome to LibriVox.

No the uploader login is not the same as your forum username and password. This looks like a good choice for a first solo, however, before starting a solo project, all new readers should complete and get an OK on a one-minute test to check your technical settings. It's not an audition, but to simply confirm that your files meet our requirements Post your test in the Listeners Wanted Forum and an experienced LVer will have a listen and check the specs for you.  It would be a shame to record a whole section, only to have to redo it because of some simple setting that is incorrect.  

Even if you are experienced with recording elsewhere, please send in a short test recording to check that all the technical settings meet LibriVox requirements before recording a full chapter.

1-Minute Test

Also as a new reader, we strongly recommend that you record a section or two in group projects before embarking on a solo, so that you can get a sense of the amount of time and effort a commitment to a solo recording would entail, as well as become a little familiar with the community here and our process for submitting files, prooflistening, etc. As a soloist, you will be responsible not only for recording and editing all the sections, but you will also be your own book coordinator (BC) which means you will be responsible for entering all the information (titles, time, links) into the workflow system.  

Meanwhile, this thread may be moved to Book Suggestions once you have seen this post. Any admin can move it back to the LaunchPad for you, one you have
Jo
Mahimaraj

Post by Mahimaraj »

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Hi Mahimaraj. Thanks for taking my advice and doing a recording or two before starting this solo. I see you test was low in volume, but the file you submitted to the nonfiction collection was with the recommended range.

I'll MC this for you.  Since this will be your first project as soloist/book coordinator(BC), you will need to set up a password for access to the workflow system so you can enter the information into the section compiler which then appears in the  "Magic Window" which will be added shortly to in the top post.  Here are some links to detailed instructions for logging into the system and setting a password the first time, as well as for entering and editing information in the section compiler. 

First Time Logging in to the Workflow

Instructions for BCs and DPLs

A version of the above is also in the LibriVox wiki in case you can't access Google Docs for some reason.

BCs - How to Update the Magic Window

If you have any questions, let me know.  I'll leave this thread here in the Launch Pad for a day or so longer before I move it to the Going Solo forum, to see if a DPL (Dedicated Prooflistener) volunteers.  Looking forward to working with you.
Jo
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Also you will need to rewrite the summary in your own words. We cannot use copyrighted material in the catalog.
Jo
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

OK all set. We just need a DPL. Once you have some chapters uploaded, you can advertise for one in Listeners Wanted if no one has volunteered by then. :)
Jo
Oreki

Post by Oreki »

Heya! I'd like to DPL, please. :)
- Amon
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Great! I'll add you as DPL, Oreki.
Jo
Mahimaraj

Post by Mahimaraj »

Hi
How do I edit the project template? :help:
Mahimaraj

Post by Mahimaraj »

Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Mahimaraj wrote: October 2nd, 2021, 5:42 am Hi
How do I edit the project template? :help:
Hi Mahimaraj, Good to see you started on your solo! If you want to edit the project template, to replace the existing intro with your own words for instance, go to the top right hand corner of the template, directly across from your screen name. You'll see three little boxes containing symbols. [!] and ["] are the middle and right hand symbols. The left-most box contains a symbol for a pencil. Click on this box to edit the template.
DariaAM

Post by DariaAM »

I don't mean to intrude on this project, but if I am not mistaken, the summary provided is under copyright. Yes? I have also found the same summary on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com.au/Kari-Elephant-Dhan-Gopal-Mukerji/dp/1513299964
Daria

Readers wanted:
The Robber’s Cave - 2 chapters left
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Yes that has already been discussed above.
Jo
Mahimaraj

Post by Mahimaraj »

Hi,
I am trying to edit that part and even after Sue’s assistance, the section where the project details is displayed, I couldn’t find the edit option and when I tried to choose the project, it showed that I do not have the permission to edit.
Also, my system has crashed and it’s been couple of days now since am trying to restore it back to its normal function. I live in a remote location and getting any kind of technical assistance takes time. All this I have tried on my phone. I will try it again. :D

Please give me some time to make the correction.