COMPLETE: Rookeries of London by Thomas Beames - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

The Rookeries of London, by Thomas Beames (1815 - 1864)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/the-rookeries-of-london-by-thomas-beames/

Rev. Thomas Beames (1815 – 1864) was a preacher at St. James, Westminster in London. He compiled his own eye-witness accounts of the most notorious of the slum areas, the Rookeries. In this essay, he passionately discusses the effects of poverty and the mistreatment of the poor and working classes. Much of what he says is still valid today; for example, in discussing over-population and emigration, he mentions the mis-use of land in Britain: "... large tracts of land, such as in Derbyshire, seem only valuable as grouse preserves. Such as in Scotland are parcelled out in deer forests, and the like . When the population is so superabundant, these things should not be ; it savours too much of feudal times, and in the neighbourhood of these hunting grounds, game laws are rigidly enforced ..."
The author has added an interesting postscript about the effects of the Great Fire of London. (Summary by Peter Yearsley.)

Note: Section 7 of the recording consists only of some tables of data with regard to the use of public baths and laundries.
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/The_Rookeries_of_London.html?id=35hUAAAAcAAJ&redir_esc=y

Target completion date: 2022-04-01

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
Genres for the project: *Non-fiction; *Non-fiction/History/Modern (19th C)

Keywords that describe the book: poverty, housing, Victorian, slums (more to be added later)

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section # of The Rookeries of London. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Rookeries of London, by Thomas Beames. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section # of The Rookeries of London, by Thomas Beames. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Rookeries of London, by Thomas Beames."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: rookeriesoflondon_##_beames_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. rookeriesoflondon_01_beames_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: knotyouraveragejo

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by Peter Why on October 14th, 2022, 5:06 am, edited 9 times in total.
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

The free copy on google is the only source that I've found. I hope it's acceptable. I can supply a copy of the pdf for the proof listener.

I'll be including the notes, which are given in an appendix, at the appropriate places in the recording. I'll warn the PLer when I do this.
Peter
Last edited by Peter Why on September 25th, 2021, 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi Peter.

The google books source is fine, I am able to open it and read it online in the U.S., but here's another to consider if whoever PLs this for you can't open the google books link.

https://www.victorianlondon.org/publications5/rookeries.htm
Jo
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, Jo. Which do you think would be better as a source link in our final display? Though it's possible that DP will pick the book up, and we'll find it on Gutenberg by the time I'm done.

I've started on the first chapter.
Peter
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

I've set this up for you, Peter. As for which text link to use in the catalog, let me think about it. :)
Jo
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thank you, Jo.
Peter
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Section 1 has been uploaded
It comprises the Preface & Section 1
It includes the Note from PDF page 260, referring to a paragraph on PDF p20, inserted into the recording at 09.27 (I'm using the Google PDF)

Section 2 starts on PDF page 26

Peter
Dulcamara

Post by Dulcamara »

Hello, Peter. I was wondering whether you still need a DPL. I'd be interested.

Thank you.
Jasna

Second to the right and then straight on till morning.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I'd be happy for you to take it on, Jasna.

Thanks,
Peter
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Jasna, in case you moved more quickly than I expected, I uploaded section 2, but have now removed the link, as I realised that I had forgotten to add the notes from the appendix of the book. I'll re-upload within the next day.

Peter
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

DPL added. :)
Jo
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, Jo.
Peter
Dulcamara

Post by Dulcamara »

Peter, Jo, that's lovely.

Thank you very much!
Jasna

Dulcamara

Post by Dulcamara »

Hello, Peter,

There's just one PL note on Section 1:

~12:39 (a repeat) "...ere, in a word, the Anglo-Saxon name, the Anglo-Saxon name, language, and strong old manly..." Other than that, everything's perfect.

Jasna
Jasna

Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Section 1 edited and re-uploaded.
Thanks, Jasna,

Peter