[COMPLETE] The Guide for the Perplexed Part One, by Moses Maimonides - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
erieston

Post by erieston »

The Guide for the Perplexed Part One, by Moses Maimonides (1138 - 1204), translated by Michael Friedländer (1833 - 1910)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-guide-for-the-perplexed-part-one-by-moses-maimonides/
The Guide for the Perplexed by Mūsá ibn Maymūn (known throughout the Christian West as Moses Maimonides) is regarded as one of the most important works of Medieval Jewish theology. The book attempts to harmonize the philosophy of Aristotle with Rabbinical teachings, but was regarded by many at the time as antithetical to Jewish teaching and thought, despite its earnest arguments in vindication of the ways of God. (Summary by Daniel Davidson)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/guideforperplexe00maimiala/page/n3/mode/2up

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Special: follow along with the text and note any major discrepancies (including Scripture notations)
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Part One, Chapter # of The Guide for the Perplexed. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Guide for the Perplexed, by Moses Maimonides, translated by Michael Friedländer. Chapter Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Guide for the Perplexed, Part One, by Moses Maimonides, translated by Michael Friedländer."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: guidefortheperplexed_##_maimonides_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. guidefortheperplexed_01_maimonides_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: TriciaG

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by erieston on September 26th, 2021, 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
erieston

Post by erieston »

Potential MC: I am reviving this from a solo project that was abandoned. Link to the original, abandoned thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=80029
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

OK, this is set up. I still have to move the files to my folder, but that shouldn't take long.

Mark is entered as DPL.
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
erieston

Post by erieston »

TriciaG wrote: September 21st, 2021, 12:49 pm OK, this is set up. I still have to move the files to my folder, but that shouldn't take long.

Mark is entered as DPL.
Awesome! Thank you! I should have it ready to move to Readers Wanted by tonight. I'll keep you posted. :D
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

I tried to PL a couple of sections, 20 and 21 are PL OK.
Now I understand why this project was abandoned. The text is very dense, hard to get through even on paper, let alone by ear.
Good luck, Erin and Tricia, but I have to apologize, I am not taking up the DPL here :(
Mark Chulsky / Марк Чульский
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I've removed you, Mark. Thanks for trying!

erieston - I wonder if it would make sense to limit this project down to Part 1, catalog that, then consider whether or not to start a new project for Parts 2 & 3. If the material IS that dense, it might be hard to find readers for it. :hmm:
erieston

Post by erieston »

TriciaG wrote: September 22nd, 2021, 11:16 am I've removed you, Mark. Thanks for trying!

erieston - I wonder if it would make sense to limit this project down to Part 1, catalog that, then consider whether or not to start a new project for Parts 2 & 3. If the material IS that dense, it might be hard to find readers for it. :hmm:
I am thinking the same thing. I personally am interested in it, but I do think that some of the pronunciations and abbreviations could present a challenge. Part I was the longest by far (76 chapters) so I think it would do good to just catalogue it once completed and then do Parts 2&3 if there is an interest. Luckily most from what I can see a majority of the Chapters are relatively short (<1000 words) so that should help? I can PL the rest of the sections for this project.
erieston

Post by erieston »

Slowly making my way through the submitted recordings. This is what I have so far:

Chapters 25, 27, 28, & 29 are all PL OK :thumbs:

PL Notes
Chapter 23 - @ 03:24 I hear "...his fortune and misfortune then depart" instead of "...his fortune and misfortune then depend"

Chapter 24 - @ 02:44 I hear "...your God. (Deuteronomy twelve, nine)" instead of "...your God. (Deuteronomy thirteen, nine)"

Chapter 26 - @ 03:45 I hear "I would have been..." instead of "it would have been..."

Chapter 30 - @ 02:16 "come" in the scripture quote "come ye buy and eat" has been omitted | @ 03:28 I hear "Isaiah four, one" instead of "Isaiah fifty-five, one"
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Moving this to Readers Wanted.

I'll try to carve out some time in the next few days to attempt magic on those PL notes. We'll see what we can do. :)
erieston

Post by erieston »

Some more PL updates:

30-35 & 37-38 are PL OK; went ahead and edited Ch. 34 since the only thing wrong was a repeat so those are all clear now. I'll work to get another set PL'd later today :D As messy as it is lol this has actually been an interesting read :lol:

Chapter 36 PL Notes:

1:45-1:50 I hear "...daughters (Deuteronomy twelve nineteen)" instead of "...daughters (Deuteronomy thirty-two nineteen)"

5:52-5:58 I hear "'...the Lord,' etc. (Exodus thirteen twenty-five)" instead of "'...the Lord,' etc. (Exodus twenty-three twenty-five)"
emmacavallaro

Post by emmacavallaro »

2:58-3:01 there is a mess up and the word is repeated because of it but besides that section 24 is PL OK.
emmacavallaro

Post by emmacavallaro »

Section 58 is PL OK.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

emmacavallaro wrote: October 6th, 2021, 12:42 pm 2:58-3:01 there is a mess up and the word is repeated because of it but besides that section 24 is PL OK.
Section 24 only goes to 3:01, and it's already marked as PL OK. Did you get the section number wrong?

EDIT: Errr, section 24 did have a PL note, so that's already been listened to and needs correction.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

erieston wrote: September 22nd, 2021, 6:02 pm PL Notes
Chapter 23 - @ 03:24 I hear "...his fortune and misfortune then depart" instead of "...his fortune and misfortune then depend"

Chapter 24 - @ 02:44 I hear "...your God. (Deuteronomy twelve, nine)" instead of "...your God. (Deuteronomy thirteen, nine)"

Chapter 26 - @ 03:45 I hear "I would have been..." instead of "it would have been..."

Chapter 30 - @ 02:16 "come" in the scripture quote "come ye buy and eat" has been omitted | @ 03:28 I hear "Isaiah four, one" instead of "Isaiah fifty-five, one"
Chapter 36 PL Notes:

1:45-1:50 I hear "...daughters (Deuteronomy twelve nineteen)" instead of "...daughters (Deuteronomy thirty-two nineteen)"

5:52-5:58 I hear "'...the Lord,' etc. (Exodus thirteen twenty-five)" instead of "'...the Lord,' etc. (Exodus twenty-three twenty-five)"
These are fixed. Please spot-check to see what you think. The only not-very-seamless one, IMHO, is the one in chapter 26.

Chapter 30 had the "Isaiah 4" rather than "Isaiah 55" error also just after that quote at 2:16. I fixed that one, too.
marissa27

Post by marissa27 »

May I proof read sections 40, 41, 42, 43, 44?